News   May 10, 2024
 2K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 3.1K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I took three buses today. All three of them had problems with card readers. It's really annoying that this is still happening.
Conspiracy Theory: Metrolinx is intentionally making the TTC have problems with Presto so that they can get voted as the Transit Institution of the GTHA

Disclaimer: I do not believe this, its just a joke.

Question about auto-reload:

Looking at the Presto website, the auto-reload restrictions are as follows:
- The lowest value that you can set to trigger auto reload is $10
- The minimum amount you can reload via auto-reload is $20.

So this means that immediately after auto reloading, the smallest possible balance the card can carry is about $30 ($10 existing balance + $20 reload).

Is it not possible to set this up so you can use smaller balances? I'm setting up a Presto card for my nephew, and I know he is going to lose it. I'm not trying be out $6 to replace the lost card plus potentially $30 in lost fares.

Question about auto-reload:

Looking at the Presto website, the auto-reload restrictions are as follows:
- The lowest value that you can set to trigger auto reload is $10
- The minimum amount you can reload via auto-reload is $20.

So this means that immediately after auto reloading, the smallest possible balance the card can carry is about $30 ($10 existing balance + $20 reload).

Is it not possible to set this up so you can use smaller balances? I'm setting up a Presto card for my nephew, and I know he is going to lose it. I'm not trying be out $6 to replace the lost card plus potentially $30 in lost fares.
If you register the card, any balances on a lost card get switched to the replacement card when you report the lost card and ask for a new one.

I heard from someone who uses Queens Park station every day, that half of the presto readers are not working. Apparently the lineup of people in front of the remaining functional readers extends all the way to the stairs. It's been like that for at least a month and nobody has fixed it.

I heard from someone who uses Queens Park station every day, that half of the presto readers are not working. Apparently the lineup of people in front of the remaining functional readers extends all the way to the stairs. It's been like that for at least a month and nobody has fixed it.

People have asked on twitter, and Presto/Metrolinx/Anne-Marie Aikins/TTC have all indicated that no fix is expected until faregates are installed, which has been pegged for early/mid 2018 by same sources. I guess they've cut off all support for the old readers in subway stations, to focus on faregates? Very unfortunate if so.

Probably another case of we are going to be replacing them soon so why fix the jury rigged equipment if it's just going to be removed. The first few stations that had Presto just had a preto reder force fit onto them and made to work with them it really doesn't surprise me that they break down as often as they do. It's like putting a square peg into a round hole by cutting off the corners, it works but not very well.

https://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/PRESTO/FAQ.jsp

"I have a lot of tokens. Can get a refund or exchange them?
You will not be able to get a refund or exchange. It is recommended that you use your tokens."

Excuse me? In previous communication we were told we would probably be credited on our Presto card for the tokens that we bring in.

"As a PRESTO card customer do I still need to take a paper transfer?
No, you are no longer required to take a paper transfer. When you tap your PRESTO card against a card reader at the start of your journey your transfer is written to the card at that time.

On the 512 streetcar route customers (including those using PRESTO) may request a time-based transfer.

How long do I have before my transfer is no longer valid?
You have two hours from the first tap to complete your one way journey."

I'm confused. Are we using a time based transfer or not?

I'm confused. Are we using a time based transfer or not?

Yes and no. The TTC's existing transfer policy is way too complicated to automate. Presto just gives you one subway-to-surface, surface-to-surface or surface-to-subway transfer within two hours. In theory, they could get Presto readers to recognize which route they're operating and then the system could prevent "invalid" transfers, but for now you'll generally get a free return trip or stopover within the two-hour limit.

Presto just gives you one subway-to-surface, surface-to-surface or surface-to-subway transfer within two hours.

Actually it'll give you an unlimited number as long as you don't take two subsequent trips on the same route. It's very much possible to take a valid trip on the TTC with more than one transfer, and actually extremely common.

And it doesnt help that the Bus Presto readers are not that accurate for location (ie whenever I board the 64 at Queen / Wineva its showed up as Exhibition Loop, Danforth & Birchmount, 0 ,Main St Station etc )

Actually it'll give you an unlimited number as long as you don't take two subsequent trips on the same route. It's very much possible to take a valid trip on the TTC with more than one transfer, and actually extremely common.

It's also very easy to plan out and take a trip that takes advantage of this. For example, if I take a 514 Cherry from Dufferin and King to Spadina, I can stop, go to MEC, shop and then catch a 504 also eastbound at Peter and be on my way without paying another fare. Presto records that as a transfer, when in reality it is a stopover and should be a separate trip.

Similarly, you can take the Queen car from the Beaches over to the Eaton Centre, shop for an hour, take the subway south to King, catch a 504 east to Broadview and then back on a 501 east to the Beaches and that will be one trip with lots of transfers in Presto land.

It's also very easy to plan out and take a trip that takes advantage of this. For example, if I take a 514 Cherry from Dufferin and King to Spadina, I can stop, go to MEC, shop and then catch a 504 also eastbound at Peter and be on my way without paying another fare. Presto records that as a transfer, when in reality it is a stopover and should be a separate trip.

Similarly, you can take the Queen car from the Beaches over to the Eaton Centre, shop for an hour, take the subway south to King, catch a 504 east to Broadview and then back on a 501 east to the Beaches and that will be one trip with lots of transfers in Presto land.
Yes, the current situation does allow for stop-offs. A week or so ago I took a 504 to St Andrew, subway to St Patrick went to AGO for over an hour, took 505 to Sherbourne and the 65 bus home. I was expecting to be charged for two trips. I was charged for only one and was inspected on the AGO-Sherbourne leg too. Just reinforces my opinion that the TTC should move to timed fares ASAP.

From PRESTO website:

"Starting at 10:00 p.m. on Friday, February 3, there will be a temporary interruption of PRESTO transactions and account services as we perform a necessary update, and customers may experience delays in transactions being completed and appearing in transaction history reports. Services will resume in the early afternoon on Saturday, February 4."

I don't take the TTC a whole lot (I live downtown so I try to walk) but this morning I had to get on at College Station. One Presto reader was red and unusable, while the other was completely shut off. I tried waiting in line for a bit and then after watching a few people try to tap and then just walk through the open gate, I followed. Lots of lost revenue to have so many Presto readers out of commission...

Back