86     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 407     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Map is now updated.

02PytXN.png

Jane station has partially installed the new turnstiles, they aren't active and accepting presto yet.

Presto log says I tapped on at Leslie and lakeshore. Pretty sure I wasn't there but suspiciously that is where the TTC barn is.

What's the following entry?
I probably took a streetcar on the day of the weird tap but it would have been downtown somewhere. Not leslie snd lakeshore. Im pretty sure I boarded at queens quay that day.

The next tap was a legit bus tap several days later.

I probably took a streetcar on the day of the weird tap but it would have been downtown somewhere. Not leslie snd lakeshore. Im pretty sure I boarded at queens quay that day.

The next tap was a legit bus tap several days later.
The reason I was asking is to allay my suspicions, but you've reinforced them. Something is buggy....and we have no way of finding out, since Presto and/or Metrolinx aren't going to admit it.

Phone them up and make sure you're not getting dinged for that.

Edit: I knew this was ringing a bell...so to speak (pun intended). The poster to bring this to the attention of, amongst others, is Drum. This sounds like a buggy GPS entry! Drum has been itemizing false positionings all over the place, including in Lake Ontario!

It never occurred to me though that it might also being affecting Presto charges. I wonder if similar is happening on GO vehicles?

I think so but it was too long ago to remember for sure.
My point of concern is whether the transaction was made immediately, or delayed until the car got to the barn. If the latter, then a transfer would have charged you twice. If not you that time, the double charge could happen in the future to anyone unless the glitch is addressed.

Curious...

Time always seems right, but location sometimes wrong. Not an issue if the total charge is okay - but it does seem to mess up subsequent transfers

(though in my experience, has actually lead to more free return trips on same streetcar route than extra charges).

Looked into Presto for the first time as Presto machines started appearing on a bus route I sometimes take. So far it looks like there is no Metropass-equivalent unlimited monthly travel capability. Is that coming? If my only choice is to get charged for individual rides, I'll be taking a lot fewer optional trips by transit.

Also, and so unbelievable I had to re-read it 3 times to make sure I was reading it correctly, the Presto page says to ride an express bus with Presto you should bring a Metropass too. Direct quote from the TTC website: "If you have a PRESTO card you can pay your first of the double fare required on a Downtown Express Bus by tapping your PRESTO card on the card reader, but you must pay the additional fare by token, cash, Metropass or ticket."

With a Metropass alone you could buy a monthly sticker to ride the express bus without having to bring extra methods of payment. That appears to not be possible with Presto. I don't understand why they're deploying Presto already if it doesn't offer the capabilities the TTC has trained their customers to expect for decades. Express buses are going to be a disaster if they eliminate the Metropass and Presto is still working this way.

Looked into Presto for the first time as Presto machines started appearing on a bus route I sometimes take. So far it looks like there is no Metropass-equivalent unlimited monthly travel capability. Is that coming? If my only choice is to get charged for individual rides, I'll be taking a lot fewer optional trips by transit.

Also, and so unbelievable I had to re-read it 3 times to make sure I was reading it correctly, the Presto page says to ride an express bus with Presto you should bring a Metropass too. Direct quote from the TTC website: "If you have a PRESTO card you can pay your first of the double fare required on a Downtown Express Bus by tapping your PRESTO card on the card reader, but you must pay the additional fare by token, cash, Metropass or ticket."

With a Metropass alone you could buy a monthly sticker to ride the express bus without having to bring extra methods of payment. That appears to not be possible with Presto. I don't understand why they're deploying Presto already if it doesn't offer the capabilities the TTC has trained their customers to expect for decades. Express buses are going to be a disaster if they eliminate the Metropass and Presto is still working this way.

Eventually you will be able to have a Metropass equivalent loaded onto your card - whether that's an upfront purchase, as it is today, or cap on monthly fares, is yet to be decided, as far as I know.

The Express bus thing is annoying. I'm not sure if Presto has the capability to charge 2 fares, but I imagine they could find a way to do it.

The important thing to remember is that Presto is in the MIDDLE of a long, complicated rollout period. It is not complete. It is not final. All of your old ways of paying fares are still available to you, and will be until Presto is fully functional. If the currently limited Presto functionality doesn't work for your specific trip patterns, then stick to your old way of paying fares. No harm, no foul. For those of us who take sub-Metropass levels of trips from Presto-enabled stations or on streetcars or buses, well, Presto is working well, in my experience.

The Express bus thing is annoying. I'm not sure if Presto has the capability to charge 2 fares, but I imagine they could find a way to do it.
Since Presto can charge different fares on GO based on the route, they certainly should be able to do so on TTC.

Since Presto can charge different fares on GO based on the route, they certainly should be able to do so on TTC.

Do they charge different base fares? Or does the system charge a base fare for GO, then figure out how much to add or deduct when you tap off based on which zone you're in? (ie, not directly related to the route or bus)

Back