News   Apr 24, 2024
 963     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 623     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

TTC is painting themselves into a corner by making this statement "PRESTO card users travelling by bus in other areas of the city must carry tokens or exact cash during the eight month bus rollout" and could be on the hock for legal cost as well.

As far as I know, TTC has outlaw the use of tokens on the new Streetcars and riders could get a ticket for not paying their fare using tokens.

Any rider given a ticket for not paying their fare when they use tokens in the first place, will have that ticket thrown out if they go to court over it. TTC will likely be charge court cost if the rider use any legal representation.

TTC not allowing riders to pay their fare with a token until they are remove from service in 2017 is creating a poor PR with their customers as well forcing them to do something illegal by their own standards.

The streetcars have had fare machines on them as well on the platforms from day one that have had the ability to accept token, tickets, cash fare and credit card from riders to pay their fare. To remove the ability to pay their fare with a legal token is a slap on the face of those riders and another example of the hungry Presto System wanting to eat TTC fare revenue bottom line.

TTC has done a poor PR informing riders of this change for the streetcars change.

Riders themselves are at fault also by not paying their fare on the platforms from those machines that are there in the first place.

As far as I know, TTC has outlaw the use of tokens on the new Streetcars and riders could get a ticket for not paying their fare using tokens.
Since when? This photo of a ticket machine on board one of the new Streetcars, clearly shows an image of a TTC token as acceptable payment:

vbdNhJV.jpg:large

TTC has done a poor PR informing riders of this change for the streetcars change.
When did this change take place?

Given that the machines took tokens a few months ago, I'd be very surprised if they've since disabled that capability!

If you're getting your kicks on Route 66, you had better get a paper transfer if headed to the subway - Old Mill neither has Presto gates nor a fare-paid bus transfer area.
Not yet - but it's coming up on the schedule. Originally they'd announced construction starts April 29, and it would be available by mid-June. But it's now listed as starting mid-May.

The streetcars have had fare machines on them as well on the platforms from day one that have had the ability to accept token, tickets, cash fare and credit card from riders to pay their fare. To remove the ability to pay their fare with a legal token is a slap on the face of those riders and another example of the hungry Presto System wanting to eat TTC fare revenue bottom line.

Since when? This photo of a ticket machine on board one of the new Streetcars, clearly shows an image of a TTC token as acceptable payment:

When did this change take place?

Given that the machines took tokens a few months ago, I'd be very surprised if they've since disabled that capability!

Where on Earth is this notion that you can't pay with tokens on LFLRVs coming from?!? If multiple UTers are making this mistake, where did this info originate? Somebody in another thread recently stated this as fact too...yikes! Absolutely false...as of today you can most definitely pay tokens on every single TTC surface vehicle including LFLRVs, it is not illegal and you cannot be ticketed for using a token, and you can pay by token at every single subway station--I believe Sherbourne, and Bay, either do have or very soon will have secondary automatic faregate-only entrances that will be presto/metropass only, but excluding automatic entrances at faregate stations all legacy gates/turnstiles take tokens and all collector booths (which still exist even at faregate stations) take tokens. All buses and legacy streetcars, even with Presto, have fareboxes that take tokens, and LFLRVs take tokens via onboard+offboard fare vending machines; in fact, if both vending machines aboard a streetcar are broken and not taking tokens, I believe token-carrying riders are entitled to a free ride (TTC's policy for broken Presto readers is Presto holders ride free, seems logical the same applies to tokens on LFLRVs).

Reactions: rbt
The 145 Express is obviously Presto enabled (originates at Queensway) but the fare is 2.90 vs the customary double far of 5.80.

Bus drivers never cease to remind me that the fare pulled is single. I said not my problem. You have a big Presto sign that says you're ready. Have your supervisor escalate it if the fare is incorrect. Again, absolutely not my problem.

The 145 Express is obviously Presto enabled (originates at Queensway) but the fare is 2.90 vs the customary double far of 5.80.

Bus drivers never cease to remind me that the fare pulled is single. I said not my problem. You have a big Presto sign that says you're ready. Have your supervisor escalate it if the fare is incorrect. Again, absolutely not my problem.

Actually it is 100% your problem. You are aware you are exploiting it. Go ahead and do it if you want, but don't waste our time with your sad excuse.

Come back here and tell us you said to the driver, and all the passengers, out loud "I am a selfish ass, and I won't pay the extra fare because you won't force me to do it." I suspect you don't have the courage for that and will continue blaming others for your theft.

Actually it is 100% your problem. You are aware you are exploiting it. Go ahead and do it if you want, but don't waste our time with your sad excuse.

Come back here and tell us you said to the driver, and all the passengers, out loud "I am a selfish ass, and I won't pay the extra fare because you won't force me to do it." I suspect you don't have the courage for that and will continue blaming others for your theft.

Passengers are not responsible for maintaining the proper functionality of the TTC's fare payment systems. If they have set up Presto to pull only 1 fare and they have turned it on and put up a card that says the bus takes Presto, then it takes Presto--period.

The TTC's official policy is that if the Presto readers on a streetcar are down, you ride free. I've had that happen before and took a free ride. Would you like to call me a selfish ass, accuse me of a lack of courage, and maybe call the police to have me arrested for theft?

Grow up.

Sherbourne is now Presto enabled! Just went through now :)

I officially never need tokens again!

I thought the same thing when we moved closer to Sheppard-Yonge station. It's frustrating when the ONE freakin' Presto reader they have there is out of order. Has happened a few times in the past couple of months.

The first couple of times, the attendant simply waved me through once I showed him my card. But the last time the attendant insisted on being paid. Luckily, I happened to have a few bucks in my pocket to pay the cash fare.

Guess I'll have to continue buying tokens, even though I'm trying to do the right thing by getting the damn Presto card.

Passengers are not responsible for maintaining the proper functionality of the TTC's fare payment systems. If they have set up Presto to pull only 1 fare and they have turned it on and put up a card that says the bus takes Presto, then it takes Presto--period.

The TTC's official policy is that if the Presto readers on a streetcar are down, you ride free. I've had that happen before and took a free ride. Would you like to call me a selfish ass, accuse me of a lack of courage, and maybe call the police to have me arrested for theft?

Grow up.
Precisely. When there's a large sign saying Presto Ready and there are functioning readers on the bus - that is the fare. If the reader is not working correctly or has not been set up to pull two fares - absolutely not my problem. I tap my Presto card and that's about as far as my responsibility goes.

The whole bus has basically started switching to Presto in order to take advantage of the TTC's inability to program their readers. It's all Presto gongs/beeps when people board.

Do you read what you write? How is that my problem? As per the reasons below I am paying my fare through an agreed upon fare medium called Presto that is enabled and active on the route I use.

If said Presto is not pulling the correct fare (and I don't care if it pulls 2.90 or 5.80 I just don't want to buy tokens anymore) then the responsibility rests on Presto and the TTC.

Precisely. When there's a large sign saying Presto Ready and there are functioning readers on the bus - that is the fare. If the reader is not working correctly or has not been set up to pull two fares - absolutely not my problem. I tap my Presto card and that's about as far as my responsibility goes.
Yeah, I'm with you. If they can't program the reader properly, it's not the riders fault. You can't really expect them to carry $2.90 in change when there's a big announcement that a route is "Presto-enabled."

Back