News   May 13, 2024
 800     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 761     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

With the new TTC faregates coming by the end of this year, how will you be able to pay your fare and enter the gates if you are using cash? When I was in the Netherlands, you input in an automated machine (like GO Transit) where you are travelling to, and you get a chip-ticket which you tap on the gate to enter and exit. Will the TTC use this method, or will there be a special gate that accepts coins? This might already have been considered since Metrolinx is looking at regional fare integration.

I think the plan is to steer people towards getting a presto card as they are planning to put vending machines for them into all the stations.

Also does anyone know when the new fare gates will start appearing in sations?

I think they can probably sell something like the occasional card in Montreal from booths or vending machines for people that don't have Presto, such as tourists.

http://www.stm.info/en/info/fares/opus-cards-and-other-fare-media/occasional-card

It's basically a paper RFID card that can store single fares, or short term fares. I imagine these things are getting pretty cheap to produce, so it can be disposable.

When I boarded the streetcar today, there was a PRESTO employee reminding customers who tapped that they should register their card. She was telling a passenger how a customer loaded $500 on her card and then lost it, and it wasn't registered. smh.

Presto transaction history following a TTC round trip a couple of days ago--got on 504 eastbound at King and Bathurst, transferred to northbound 510 to Queen, grabbed a quick lunch, then got back on a southbound 510 to King, followed by a westbound 504 back to Bathurst. TTC transfer rules have that as two trips, but was only charged for one. Note that while the final leg didn't have an associated location, the one which SHOULD have deducted a fare (2:02 PM, 510 SB Spadina and Queen) did have that info and nonetheless did not charge a fare.

Looks like that theory of them using an exclusion case of charging a new fare if you ever tap on the same route as your previous tap was inaccurate. Maybe on the subway, but it is definitely not happening on streetcars. Woohoo, 2-hour transfer effectively remains!

Untitled.png

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 796
Looks like that theory of them using an exclusion case of charging a new fare if you ever tap on the same route as your previous tap was inaccurate.
It's definitely happening on streetcars, where the 2nd "leg" is the same route as the 1st "leg", within 2-hours (I have way too many examples of that! in last week!). Perhaps it's not happening when the 3rd "leg" is the same as the 2nd "leg".

Though why did 4th leg work? Perhaps that "0" data problem struck again.

Here's an example of 5 trips on January 19th. All on the 506. Trip 3 was only 55 minutes after Trip 2. And Trip 5 was 15 minutes after Trip 4. Not one transfer, so it's not letting you have two consecutive trips that start on the same route. The trips were eastbound, westbound, eastbound, westbound, and then eastbound.

It was indeed 5 separate trips.

upload_2016-1-25_18-49-25.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-25_18-49-25.png
    upload_2016-1-25_18-49-25.png
    57.8 KB · Views: 875
Checked my transaction history last night for curiosity sake and noticed the "Location Name" of one of my trips (two weekends ago) wasn't anywhere near where I boarded. It claims I got on at Queensway and Roncesvalles when I was actually on the 512. Would've been interesting had a fare inspector boarded midway.

Transactions from Friday for me show a trip on College as taking place on Queen St. instead - quite a distance about 6km away.
And then an immediate transfer at Queen's Park station which was properly recognized as a transfer.

Transactions from Friday for me show a trip on College as taking place on Queen St. instead - quite a distance about 6km away.
And then an immediate transfer at Queen's Park station which was properly recognized as a transfer.
Let's hope the fare inspectors are aware of the location issues. Unless of course your Presto card was quantum mechanically entangled with a reader on a streetcar on the other side of Toronto, it's a bit impossible.

Let's hope the fare inspectors are aware of the location issues.
I haven't had my Presto checked on TTC (they don't seem to bother if they see you tap on), but on GO, they just seem to listen for the beep to be okay.

Presumably if you successfully have tapped onto the vehicle they are inspecting, you are good. I suspect that all they are really checking for, is you've tapped within 2-hours, as you could have originated at any subway station unless you are on 501.

I haven't had my Presto checked on TTC (they don't seem to bother if they see you tap on), but on GO, they just seem to listen for the beep to be okay.

Presumably if you successfully have tapped onto the vehicle they are inspecting, you are good. I suspect that all they are really checking for, is you've tapped within 2-hours, as you could have originated at any subway station unless you are on 501.

when I had mine checked they looked at it to see if it said it was valid. I was looking at the screen too everything was upside down to me but it did give a green screen

The TTC needs to work on their fare enforcement strategies. From what I've seen, the TEOs are doing a horrible job at checking customers fares.

For example, earlier today I saw four transit enforcement officers checking fares on an ALRV. All four of them were checking the fares of people entering through only one of the three doors. The problem here is that the two other doors of the streetcar were open. I walked right on through the back door and nobody checked me. The other issue with this is that, because people weren't expecting to have fares inspected, they'd have to shuffle through their bags to get their POP out . The result was that we now have a long queue of TTC customers standing in the middle of the street, blocking traffic, increasing dwell times, and putting the safety of the customers at risk, as they're standing in the middle of a busy street. All for a fare inspection that's 100% ineffective. I can't possible understand why the TEOs were doing in this way.

Their fare inspection strategy at stations is equally ineffective. Typically streetcars stop at an unloading platform, and then continue a few meters down to a loading platform. The TEOs are only inspecting fares at the unloading platform. That means that if you are a fare evader, all you have to do is stay on the streetcar until it reaches the loading platform, and get off there where the TEOs aren't inspecting.

And even when you do pass a fare inspection point, the TEOs are not effective at checking everyone. A few times I've gotten past them without my fare being inspected, even when the station isn't crowded.

I'm getting the impression that these TEOs serve merely to discourage people from cheating fares, than to effectively encore TTC fare policy. They weren't this bad last year; maybe they've just become jaded from the job.

The TTC needs to work on their fare enforcement strategies. From what I've seen, the TEOs are doing a horrible job at checking customers fares.

For example, earlier today I saw four transit enforcement officers checking fares on an ALRV. All four of them were checking the fares of people entering through only one of the three doors. The problem here is that the two other doors of the streetcar were open. I walked right on through the back door and nobody checked me. The other issue with this is that, because people weren't expecting to have fares inspected, they'd have to shuffle through their bags to get their POP out . The result was that we now have a long queue of TTC customers standing in the middle of the street, blocking traffic, increasing dwell times, and putting the safety of the customers at risk, as they're standing in the middle of a busy street. All for a fare inspection that's 100% ineffective. I can't possible understand why the TEOs were doing in this way.

Their fare inspection strategy at stations is equally ineffective. Typically streetcars stop at an unloading platform, and then continue a few meters down to a loading platform. The TEOs are only inspecting fares at the unloading platform. That means that if you are a fare evader, all you have to do is stay on the streetcar until it reaches the loading platform, and get off there where the TEOs aren't inspecting.

And even when you do pass a fare inspection point, the TEOs are not effective at checking everyone. A few times I've gotten past them without my fare being inspected, even when the station isn't crowded.

I'm getting the impression that these TEOs serve merely to discourage people from cheating fares, than to effectively encore TTC fare policy. They weren't this bad last year; maybe they've just become jaded from the job.

The principle of fare inspection (like many such things, customs inspectors for example) is that you do NOT inspect everyone but you do it at random and one never knows when or who will be inspected.

The principle of fare inspection (like many such things, customs inspectors for example) is that you do NOT inspect everyone but you do it at random and one never knows when or who will be inspected.

When Spadina was made into PoP route, I would see fare inspectors at Spadina station checking everyone at least once a week.
I have not seen any since all routes went PoP.

I'm an out-of-towner and I find Presto unnervingly confusing. Whenever I visit Toronto I just get a day pass for the TTC so I don't have to bother with trying to figure out transfers and stuff. I don't think I'm "dumb" or whatever (I love public transport, and exploring other cities and have riden countless systems around the world), but Presto isn't very well explained how it all works anywhere, especially not at the point of use (a subway or UP! station, for example).

Back