News   Jun 17, 2024
 122     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 189     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 334     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

A while back someone from the TTC communicated a major issues installing PRESTO at some stations was asbestos in the ceilings and walls where they planned to run the conduits to power the terminals. Asbestos required specially trained workers to remove, and it takes a long time, especially if not closing the station.
Not a surprise in Canada there would be asbestos everywhere even in buildings from the 80's.

This is also the reason why platform next-train displays, additional security cameras, networking improvements, and even lighting upgrades in many cases were indefinitely deferred for some stations.

What might normally have been a couple nights work is suddenly a very long and expensive project.

This is also the reason why platform next-train displays, additional security cameras, networking improvements, and even lighting upgrades in many cases were indefinitely deferred for some stations.

What might normally have been a couple nights work is suddenly a very long and expensive project.

Hopefully if they have to handle the asbestos to continue adding Presto features they will also include these upgrades you have mentioned. Seems like a good opportunity to upgrade several systems at once.

If I lived in Toronto and used the TTC about 100 times a month but got a Presto card instead of a Metropass, would the Presto even be more expensive or does the fee calculation stop once you hit the monthly Metropass fee?

Presto is just like using tokens. 100 trips would cost you $280. There's no monthly capping.

Presumably they'll introduce either monthly passes or monthly capping once they are getting close to completing the roll out.

Wow, that's pretty bad. I guess most regular TTC riders would never get a Presto card.

If you use it only for work, the presto is by far the cheaper option.

If you don't own a car and depend on the ttc for everything, the metro pass is better.

Presto is just like using tokens. 100 trips would cost you $280. There's no monthly capping.

Presumably they'll introduce either monthly passes or monthly capping once they are getting close to completing the roll out.

Wow, that's pretty bad. I guess most regular TTC riders would never get a Presto card.

If you use it only for work, the presto is by far the cheaper option.

If you don't own a car and depend on the ttc for everything, the metro pass is better.

isn't that all just transitional.......once the ttc is fully presto accessible won't the comparison between metropass and presto be moot as the former would cease to exist?

Last edited:
Why not? Many use tokens, and it's more convenient than tokens. And potentially cheaper with the tax credit.

Any pass user isn't going to use Presto anyway until it's fully implemented. And TTC has said they'll eliminate the separate passes shortly after Presto is fully implemented.

Why not? Many use tokens, and it's more convenient than tokens. And potentially cheaper with the tax credit.

Any pass user isn't going to use Presto anyway until it's fully implemented. And TTC has said they'll eliminate the separate passes shortly after Presto is fully implemented.

If such a lowly agency like yrt offers monthly passes currently I'm sure that Ttc will follow suit

Can you supply a link to the "no monthly capping"? I always thought one can set up their PRESTO card to act like a monthly pass or at the very least accumulate trips to the threshold needed to pass to the daily, weekly, or monthly levels.

Can you supply a link to the "no monthly capping"? I always thought one can set up their PRESTO card to act like a monthly pass or at the very least accumulate trips to the threshold needed to pass to the daily, weekly, or monthly levels.
Presto works differently on each of the 11 transit systems that have adopted it. It's up to each agency how it behaves on their system.

The rules for each of the 11 systems are at: https://www.prestocard.ca/en-US/Pages/ContentPages/FaresTravel.aspx

For some systems you can prepurchase a pass (Brampton, Durham, Hamilton, Oakville, Ottawa, York).

Some systems you just use for single rides - no capping or passes (TTC, UP Express).

Some systems have weekly fare capping (Mississauga, Hamilton).

Some systems have monthly rate capping (GO Transit, Burlington, Oakville).

So you can have weekly capping and monthly passes. Monthly capping and monthly passes. Weekly passes and weekly capping.

No one has daily capping or passes (so far). No one has both weekly capping and weekly passes. Though no reason to think that you can't do so.

Looking at the 11 different transit systems, it almost looks like they've gone 11 different directions!

Presumably TTC will adopt various capping and pass schemes after they complete the roll out.

So I'm still a little unclear on one thing. During this transition phase, is a Presto card that has been validly tapped a POP? I realize if you're transferring to another streetcar route or bus, you have to take a paper transfer. However, if you're just staying on the 509 or 510, do you have to take a transfer?

So I'm still a little unclear on one thing. During this transition phase, is a Presto card that has been validly tapped a POP? I realize if you're transferring to another streetcar route or bus, you have to take a paper transfer. However, if you're just staying on the 509 or 510, do you have to take a transfer?
If you have a fare inspection, and you used Presto then yes, you can use it as POP to the inspector.

Though until Presto is mostly implemented might as well take a transfer, in case you end up transferring to something. I can't be the only person who has ever changed my trip after getting a phone call, or having the vehicle break down, and jumping on an intersecting route.

There is nothing to link to because the TTC has never considered fare changes with the adoption of presto. That kind of change would have to be done by via city council. It's now $2.80 for every ride.

Perhaps you are thinking of options from the 905 systems?

Back