News   May 28, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 28, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 568     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Scarborough center is under going replacement of the entrance turnstiles. Presto is coming! Signs says eta April 27.

I've been using the Spadina streetcar as if it were a subway at my door. The experience on the new streetcars certainly make it feel like a part of the subway network.

I'm looking forward to using Presto to get around but I have a couple of questions:

1) Which subway stations will be outfitted with Presto in the next wave and when?
2) Will there be an NFC app for smartphones?

1) Which subway stations will be outfitted with Presto in the next wave and when?
As mentioned about 80 posts back, the next wave of 11 stations (in addition to the current 15 stations) is in no particular order:
Dundas West
Bathurst
Broadview
Scarborough Centre
Sheppard-Yonge
Davisville
Queen
King
St. Andrew
Osgoode
Museum

TTC has said these will be finished by July, with the remaining 43 stations by the end of 2016.

One day probably ... but nothing imminent.

It's been stated by Metrolix that Presto NEXT will have smartphone AND Open-Payment abilities like paying with a visa card (tapping it, etc). But I think the emphasis is currently on just installing it initially on the TTC. Not sure if the hardware is already capable and it just needs a firmware update. I'd imagine since they went through the trouble of changing things over in Ottawa they'd just have the most up-to-date hardware when installed on the TTC that would likely be capable of PRESTO-Next capabilities but would need something on the server side or firmware side to allow it to work (not to mention the respective mobile apps, etc to be written and developed for it).

It's been stated by Metrolix that Presto NEXT will have smartphone AND Open-Payment abilities like paying with a visa card (tapping it, etc). But I think the emphasis is currently on just installing it initially on the TTC. Not sure if the hardware is already capable and it just needs a firmware update. I'd imagine since they went through the trouble of changing things over in Ottawa they'd just have the most up-to-date hardware when installed on the TTC that would likely be capable of PRESTO-Next capabilities but would need something on the server side or firmware side to allow it to work (not to mention the respective mobile apps, etc to be written and developed for it).

College station takes VISA now (or did a year ago...I'm not at that station that often).....it charges a fair equal to a cash fair while tapping a Pesto Card got the bulk token fair.

Those were pilot tests, I know they were also testing at Dundas station (perhaps others) but the test is over and regular readers are there now.

The PRESTO 2.0 Hardware installed in Ottawa is identical to that being installed in Toronto and is forward-compatible. As you mention, it's all a software issue now, since there are challenges to overcome with real-time connectivity. A mobile app would theoretically be easier to implement than open payments, since it would just replicate an existing PRESTO card.

^^I've gotten many free rides on PRESTO because of broken readers.

I personally don't blame him. Guelph is a small system. Why spend money on a farecard system?

Kitchener only looked at one because it made sense that if we were to ever move to one, then it should be at the same time as introducing LRT.
Of course, we didn't pick Presto, so it'll be interesting to see how that shakes out.

Kitchener will be Presto compatible from my understanding, even if they don't use presto cards. If you have a presto card you will be able to use it in the city though.

14302250527320.jpg

I tapped on with Presto at Dundas West this morning.

Attachments

• 14302250527320.jpg
    14302250527320.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 469

Back