News   Apr 26, 2024
 74     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 404     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.2K     4 

GTHA Transit Fare Integration

They are going to probably build/rebuild all 22 stations for SmartTrack, because of The Great Platform Height Debate,...

There's been no indication that there's even going to be anything built, other than GO's more frequent service and electrification. Surely this is massive speculation at this stage.

Besides, who would wait 30 minutes for GO train. If there's one coming, go take it. If there isn't ... don't go. Stand at Danforth - you don't see most people coming in randomly - they time their arrivals to match the trains.

If you live in that new development southeast of Danforth station, and already walk through Danforth station to get to Main Street station, then it's going to save you a lot more than a few minutes.

No it won't get people who are getting off the Danforth subway to change at Main Street. But no one is saying that it will. It may get a few who take TTC who start their journeys at Main Street to start taking GO instead - particularly those who already take the bus or streetcar past Danforth station every day and who work at or south of Union station.

Funny my home station is Main Street - and I was really hoping this news would be a TTC fare from Danforth GO to Union. I don't take enough trips to warrant a Metropass, but if I'm not in the mode for the transfer at St. George or Bloor-Yonge the GO train (while busy at rush hour) is the best option into the core. This is a very specific case I know, but they still haven't given fair integration in this test (fair integration of fare). A true test would be same price to take two subways to get to Union (at trains every 5 mins) versus the GO train to Union (every 30 mins).

Funny my home station is Main Street - and I was really hoping this news would be a TTC fare from Danforth GO to Union. I don't take enough trips to warrant a Metropass, but if I'm not in the mode for the transfer at St. George or Bloor-Yonge the GO train (while busy at rush hour) is the best option into the core. This is a very specific case I know, but they still haven't given fair integration in this test (fair integration of fare). A true test would be same price to take two subways to get to Union (at trains every 5 mins) versus the GO train to Union (every 30 mins).
How would that be revenue neutral for both agencies?

Imagine the news today was that taking GO within Toronto would only cost TTC fare ;)

How would that be revenue neutral for both agencies?

A one stop trip on GO from either Danforth GO (in my case) or say Exhibition GO or Bloor would attract riders - not sure about capacity towards Bloor GO, but even at 30 min service you can get on a GO train easily at Danforth. I'm not saying you would get on the TTC for free in any part of this - its one or the other. But if we look at Exhibition GO - it has a large population within walking distance of the station and i think the single fair downtown makes sense (i.e. King Street car into the core, or GO into the core). Yes these are simple trips which may require additional walking, but my point is this trial fare integration would be more expensive for the average commuter within Toronto than just using the TTC. When, if we want to attract people to the idea that GO is an alternative (either now with 30 min infrequent trips or in the future with 15 or 10 minute service), you have to treat the costs the same.

I think a lot of people would agree that within the GTA, a $5+ GO fare is going to deter them from trying the service.

Put it another way, try a system only during off peak periods - $3 for stations within Toronto from 10am to 3pm and from 7pm to end of service. Not a solution to our transit problems, but possibly a start.

Last edited:

It seems as if you would be the perfect candidate for this program. As Nfitz points out, if you decide to move all your work commutes to GO under this program, the TTC portion is $12.15. After a mere 5 trips per month, it has paid for itself.

gweed:

I do find it a bit odd that they chose to undertake this experiment at locations where it is least likely to have a significant impact though.

AoD

True. I think they chose those locations because, out of all of the GO lines, Lakeshore is the only one that really has any off-peak service. That way they can measure ridership during peak and off-peak. Any other locations not on Lakeshore would be confined to peak period only usage, unless they allowed it on buses as well, which would complicate things.

True. I think they chose those locations because, out of all of the GO lines, Lakeshore is the only one that really has any off-peak service. That way they can measure ridership during peak and off-peak. Any other locations not on Lakeshore would be confined to peak period only usage, unless they allowed it on buses as well, which would complicate things.

do GO buses even serve the stations we are talking about?

do GO buses even serve the stations we are talking about?

I don't believe so. My point though is that if you chose Kennedy or Bloor stations as the pilot stations, you'd only get peak period traffic. By choosing Exhibition and Danforth as the pilot stations, you get 30 minutes or less service, all day. They can measure how many people are using the service during peak, and how many are using it outside of peak as well.

I don't believe so. My point though is that if you chose Kennedy or Bloor stations as the pilot stations, you'd only get peak period traffic. By choosing Exhibition and Danforth as the pilot stations, you get 30 minutes or less service, all day. They can measure how many people are using the service during peak, and how many are using it outside of peak as well.

sure....but what have you lost in terms of delivering service and options in the morning and evening commutes to people?

and what does it matter? it is a sticker that can be used at any time...there is no time of day factor to consider.

But if it does matter I can complete that bit of the study for them....a year in advance and free.....at Danforth and Exhibition there was less off peak use than peak use and at Bloor there was no off peak use at all.

Last edited:
I guess it's a start. Kind of. Does nothing for me though as I don't need a metropass and actually use GO Transit more than TTC, strangely enough. Oakville-Ehxibition-Union-Danforth-Guildwood. All my destinations are within 15 minute walking distance of those stations. Everything else I walk to from home. I just find it more convenient to take a train to Danforth than to take the Dufferin bus and subway over to Main Street. Higher cost be damned. The trip to Guildwood? I'd have to be mad to take the TTC instead of the GO train. The only one of those trips I'm more likely to take the TTC is to Union in the winter only. In summer, I walk or take the train. The return trip? Union-Exhibition? Train 90% of the time, unless I'm coming back after the last one has departed.

What they should do, is frikkin' implement Presto already, ffs. Another reason I prefer to use GO trains to TTC: my Presto card always has some money on it. My change purse? Not so much.

I wasn't too familiar with this - but wasn't it simply a $20 discount? So instead of costing about $180 it would have costed about $280.

Not sure if it can be determined from these old passes, but if anyone knows the prices of the day for the individual passes then we can figure it out.
unnamed_zps59fd89d5.jpg

Attachments

• unnamed_zps59fd89d5.jpg
    unnamed_zps59fd89d5.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 360

Back