News   Apr 25, 2024
 256     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 834     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 837     0 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

I'm absolutely thrilled that Waterloo is getting LRT... it's perfect for Waterloo, given how the cities of Waterloo and Kitchener are less of a grid system and more of a "developed along a linear route the entire way" city.

The one thing I'm very upset about is that they are tendering out the operation of the system to a private company. FML.
Dublin's LUAS LRT is operated by Veolia and has a better reputation than the state run buses and trains. Yes there are horror stories elsewhere but if public-owned transit was sunshine and roses nobody would suggest PPPs anyway. I do think cities need better contracts with private partners, particularly given how the Toronto Street Furniture contract Miller saddled us with is turning out.

Metrolinx Light Rail Vehicles

Since Waterloo (and maybe other regions) may come on board the order for light rail vehicles along with Toronto, it would make sense to alter the name of the thread from "Transit City" to "Metrolinx". Can't seem to find the controls to do so.

Wait, what? So it won't be GRT?

I guess that means it won't be covered under what the WatCard provides..

It's to be a design-build-operate-finance-maintain (DBFOM) P3, with 30 years for the DBFM part and potentially only 10 for the initial operations. After that, it would be possible for GRT to take over operations.

Fares would all be set and collected by the Region of Waterloo, and integrated with GRT.

Videos of the Bombardier Flexity Freedeom model:

[video=youtube;-kLl84mAPDY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kLl84mAPDY[/video]

[video=youtube;MHsRTVzDbUg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHsRTVzDbUg[/video]

Toronto is the very first launch city through Metrolinx for the Bombardier Flexity Freedom.

Click on this link to get to Stephen Rees's blog on the Bombardier Flexity Freedom mock-up.

7515780810_cfaec09af9.jpg

7515782600_8b0a5e2416.jpg

7515783864_7af52bf801.jpg

7515786466_47b53e13c3.jpg

7515787044_cca3cb925e.jpg

And the brochure in PDF form downloadable from this link.

Last edited:
Toronto is the very first launch city through Metrolinx for the Bombardier Flexity Freedom.
Might be the first sale, but according to the current schedule we'll see them in service in 2020, while Kitchener-Waterloo will see them in operation in 2017.

Interesting... I don't think Edmonton has decided on the vehicles for the southwest LRT, so I imagine Bombardier is going to be putting their best foot forward.
With no Buy Canada analog to Buy America and Siemens' existing foothold I doubt much will change. I may be exaggerating a little but for Albertans (even PCs as opposed to Reform/Wildrose/FedTories) isn't buying Bombardier/Ontario basically giving money to Eastern B@stards who should be freezing in the dark instead?

Interesting that BBD did not choose to visit Calgary during Stampede (or at least not mentioning it on twitter)

Based on what I have seen to date, Stadler LRV in Craydon, UK is the best one I have seen so far.

Other than the front/end wheel area, all the seats are regular seating with no stepup. The front/end are raise, but have a sloping ramp to the seating area.

Due to the poor internet service over here in Europe to date, I have not been able to up load both video and photos of Stadler car. Craydon only took delivery of the new 5 section car only a few months ago.

Back