News   Apr 25, 2024
 352     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

There's a bit more on their website, including a quote from Metrolinx - but it doesn't really say anything ... and doesn't even say it's behind schedule. Something was said, but it's terrible news reporting.

I can't find it anywhere on their site - if you still have it handy, can you provide a link?

Ah, didn't realize it wasn't a separate article. I stopped reading that one partway through.

So, wait a minute - the TTC was expecting to have, in their hands, the first FLEXITY Freedom by now? Where exactly where they planing on testing/running that? They don't have any 1435 mm OCS-equipped track anywhere yet.

...or were they just planing on going to Kingston or Thunder Bay to watch it run around their test tracks, and that's what they're saying is delayed? The FAT at Bombardier?

Three weeks ago, CTV Kitchener ran an article on the progress of the trains for Waterloo Region's ion Rapid Transit project, and mentioned that the first of the 14 trains for our line are about 2 months behind. I can't help but think that the first train they're working on (what the 1010 article is calling the prototype) would be train 1 for Waterloo.

...or is it Train 1 for Metrolinx (which will some day see service), Trains 2-15 are for Waterloo, then 15+ for Metrolinx?

So, wait a minute - the TTC was expecting to have, in their hands, the first FLEXITY Freedom by now? Where exactly where they planing on testing/running that? They don't have any 1435 mm OCS-equipped track anywhere yet.
When the Metrolinx order was first made in 2010, the Sheppard East LRT was to have opened in 2014 - so presumably the first prototype would have been here by now! I think Bombardier may have dodged a bullet on that one.

More recently when the Eglinton Line was going all the way to Sheppard/Markham in 2013, the plan was to still build two yards for the line, with the second Sheppard/Conlins. If you recall, IO had two bid processes going - one for the Eglinton line, and the second for the Sheppard East Maintenance Centre, which included some of the track along Sheppard East.

...or were they just planing on going to Kingston or Thunder Bay to watch it run around their test tracks, and that's what they're saying is delayed?
After that fell through, I believe the plan that the prototype was to go to Waterloo - I believe someone mentioned they are building a yard there. :)

... CTV Kitchener ran an article on the progress of the trains for Waterloo Region's ion Rapid Transit project, and mentioned that the first of the 14 trains for our line are about 2 months behind. I can't help but think that the first train they're working on (what the 1010 article is calling the prototype) would be train 1 for Waterloo.
The prototype would still be owned by Bombardier (the same way that Bombardier still owns cars 4401 and 4402, but TTC now owns 4400 and 4403 to 4412).

After that fell through, I believe the plan that the prototype was to go to Waterloo - I believe someone mentioned they are building a yard there. :)

Yes - was just there a few hours ago! Still no sign of yard trackage, though. :( Seems like that's still a long ways away.

The prototype would still be owned by Bombardier (the same way that Bombardier still owns cars 4401 and 4402, but TTC now owns 4400 and 4403 to 4412).

So, FLEXITY Freedom Train No. 1 will be Bombardier's plaything, then 2-15 will be trains for Waterloo?

It doesn't look like it's going to happen, but I was really hoping that the Waterloo Spur would be finished first and then they'd be testing them along the line there late next year. I asked Bombardier about this, but they said they were doing low-speed testing in Thunder Bay, and high-speed testing in Kingston at the former UTDC site.

So, FLEXITY Freedom Train No. 1 will be Bombardier's plaything, then 2-15 will be trains for Waterloo?
Who knows. Presumably 1 will be ultimately rebuilt or modified to become a Waterloo or Metrolinx vehicle. Not sure if Waterloo will get the first 14, or if some will go to Metrolinx at the same time. I'd assume that based on the current schedules, that the first 14 go to Waterloo,.

It doesn't look like it's going to happen, but I was really hoping that the Waterloo Spur would be finished first and then they'd be testing them along the line there late next year. I asked Bombardier about this, but they said they were doing low-speed testing in Thunder Bay, and high-speed testing in Kingston at the former UTDC site.
Ah, that's interesting. Perhaps TTC and Metrolinx will simply trek out to Millhaven.

Millhaven caries a lot of excitement for me; I still drive by it every now and then when visiting my folks. When I was a little guy, my dad would take me there and we'd watch test trains going around the track while visiting my grandparents, who lived not too far from there. I hope Bombardier or Metrolinx tweet about when testing starts there; I'd love to swing by and get some photos!

There's no current facility at Milhaven that could be used for the LRVs - they'd have to build a new one.

Not that it would be that big a deal. After all, they built a 2+-mile track for the TR subway cars.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

There's no current facility at Milhaven that could be used for the LRVs - they'd have to build a new one.

Not that it would be that big a deal. After all, they built a 2+-mile track for the TR subway cars.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Hi Dan,

My understanding was that they would be adding OCS to the ICTS loop.

Millhaven.JPG

Is that not the case?

Isn't there a track currently for the Innovia Metro (aka ART)? Wouldn't that work with overhead?

The current ICTS (Innovia ART) loop only has third rail.

Attachments

• Millhaven.JPG
    Millhaven.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 706
Last edited by a moderator:
This PDF from Bombardier lays out the 4 test tracks:

http://www.bombardier.com/content/d...ston_Testing_Services_Brochure_2014_05_V1.pdf

The LRV track is listed as being standard gauge with an OCS. There are pictures of ALRV 4900 being tested on the track, here:

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/streetcar/4504.shtml

Which means either 4900 was regauged after testing, or the line is not standard gauge. It would seem more likely that 4900 was regauged though, as the satellite images show the LRT track being formerly connected to the mainline. I don't know what condition this track is in though, considering the brochure image bombardier is using for this track features an ALRV. It's also interesting that the metro track can have its gauge changed.

If you look at my photo, the photo of the CLRV is navigating the "S-shaped track near the top right corner of the ICTS loop - not the ICTS loop itself.

Back