News   May 07, 2024
 490     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 438     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 916     3 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

Thanks for the info-I had wondered what those numbers were. I can tell you that the number of the car in the first picture is 53. The number for the second car wasn't visible in any of my shots.

There aren't any tracking apps like the ones that you might use for transit vehicles or airplanes. The most useful tools I've found are the train sighting groups on Facebook, but they don't always provide real-time information (and I've rarely been tipped off about a streetcar or LRV-seeing one is generally just a matter of luck). What I can tell you is that that the Flexities appear to be traveling to Thunder Bay on train 421 (which usually departs Agincourt Yard between 2 and 3:30 PM). The return train (420) normally doesn't arrive in Toronto during daylight hours, and the local jobs that transfer streetcar deliveries between Lambton and Agincourt yards have no set schedule.

That's very helpful; thanks very much! We'll see what luck I have. :)

So they take the CN Kingston sub to where? (in order to get to Lambton and transfer to CP?) I'm interested in the rail subs they take on their journey from Millhaven to Toronto to Thunder Bay and then finally back to the EMSF.
Thanks for all your informative responses.

Cando collects them at the Millhaven plant and brings to the CN at Ernestown.
CN Local lifts at Ernestown, takes to Belleville via Kingston Sub
CN Manifest takes to MacMillan Yard via Kington and York Subs
CN Local takes from MacMillan Yard to West Toronto via Halton, GO Weston Subs
CP Local takes them from West Toronto to Agincourt via North Toronto, Belleville Subs
CP Manifest takes them from Agincourt to Thunder Bay via Belleville, North Toronto, Mactier Subs and onwards

- Paul

Cando collects them at the Millhaven plant and brings to the CN at Ernestown.
CN Local lifts at Ernestown, takes to Belleville via Kingston Sub
CN Manifest takes to MacMillan Yard via Kington and York Subs
CN Local takes from MacMillan Yard to West Toronto via Halton, GO Weston Subs
CP Local takes them from West Toronto to Agincourt via North Toronto, Belleville Subs
CP Manifest takes them from Agincourt to Thunder Bay via Belleville, North Toronto, Mactier Subs and onwards

- Paul

Great, thank you!

Saw car 56 on CP today (that means three of these things were shipped to Thunder Bay within a week).

AD22E3F5-5A22-4603-9B07-482096D6B5F1.jpeg

Last edited:
Saw car 56 on CP today (that means three of these things were shipped to Thunder Bay within a week).

View attachment 278611

Line 5 Eglinton Crosstown LRV passing through (or over) Sunnybrook Park stop (east of Leslie and Eglinton)

Eglinton LRV #6256 passing Sunnybrook Park stop.jpg

I lucked out as well yesterday (thanks to your tips re: timing) and caught #6256 as well. I couldn't see the number myself, but based on your above post I now know it was #6256. I caught it at 3:15 PM on the Belleville sub. at Eglinton which I figure is about 10 minutes before your pic was taken on the North Toronto sub.

Now that I know the number, it'll be nice to get a pic of #6256 in service a couple of years from now, at the exact same spot (or about 30 feet underneath it to be more precise.)

^There have been pictures on Twitter showing car 6204 on a flatcar. Curious, as this car was delivered aeons ago and was on hand for the Doors Open event at the MSF in May 2019. I wonder why it would have to be returned for more work.

- Paul

Wasn't there 4 or 5 prototypes?

And beyond that, would the earlier cars have had Metrolinx's ATC system installed?

Wasn't there 4 or 5 prototypes?

Two cars were built well ahead of the others, with a third joining them shortly before they were all moved from Thunder Bay to Millhaven. One of them ended up becoming a Waterloo car, while the other two were Eglinton cars.

And beyond that, would the earlier cars have had Metrolinx's ATC system installed?

None of the cars are being built with the final ATC/ATO systems installed - that's why they are all going to Thunder Bay.

It does sound like those earlier units delivered directly to the Crosstown's maintenance facility will have to be shipped out to Thunder Bay to have that work done, rather than having them done in Toronto. I haven't heard a good reason as to why they haven't been or can't be done here.

Dan

It will be nice to see the shocked Pikachu faces on all the LRT naysayers who claim its just a glorified streetcar when they see the coupled trains in action.

Must be a youngster, if you never seen multi-unit streetcar trains (MU) before.

PS. Those two PCC streetcars are the same length as one Flexity Outlook streetcar (or Freedom light rail vehicle).

Last edited:
It will be nice to see the shocked Pikachu faces on all the LRT naysayers who claim its just a glorified streetcar when they see the coupled trains in action.
LRT naysayers: What's a Pick-at-You face? Is that from some stupid game people play on their phones without looking at the street?

:rolleyes:

Must be a youngster, if you never seen multi-unit streetcar trains (MU) before.

PS. Those two PCC streetcars are the same length as one Flexity Outlook streetcar (or Freedom light rail vehicle).

Before my time, there were the Peter Witt streetcar AND trailer (same total length). Needed an operator AND TWO conductors. The Flexity only needs one operator on both the Outlook and Freedom models.

Back