News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 481     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

If it ever happens, and if it does, it won't be any time soon. 2030, maybe.
It's part of LaughTrack now. Maybe the stars could align sooner than that. Anyone know if Mount Dennis MSF will have "spare" capacity, and if so how much?

Ben Spurr‏@BenSpurr 14m14 minutes ago
Breaking: Court docs show Metrolinx in talks with alternate vehicle supplier for Eglinton Crosstown as legal fight with Bombardier continues

Ben Spurr‏@BenSpurr 9m9 minutes ago
Docs say that allowing MX to terminate contract wouldn't damage B's reputation b/c B's "record of failure...around the globe is well known."
Is it me, or does this sound like a disaster in the making. The last comment doesn't sound like a winning argument in court. And the first one - you have to clean up the current contract before you issue a new one.

Sounds to me like Metrolinx has jumped the gun. And we are going to be paying big $ for this.

Is it me, or does this sound like a disaster in the making. The last comment doesn't sound like a winning argument in court. And the first one - you have to clean up the current contract before you issue a new one.

Sounds to me like Metrolinx has jumped the gun. And we are going to be paying big $ for this.
It's a hissy fit to try and sway a legal proceeding based on presented facts, not emotion. It's certainly not the behaviour of someone or organization confident in their legal case.

Bombardier has done some good work and made a mess of other orders. Cities don't keep reordering more Flexity's for their failures. Good luck on court ML.

The last comment doesn't sound like a winning argument in court.
I don't see why it's an issue at all -- Bombardier seems to be arguing that Metrolinx can't terminate the contract because it will make Bombardier look bad. Well, duh.

I don't see why it's an issue at all -- Bombardier seems to be arguing that Metrolinx can't terminate the contract because it will make Bombardier look bad. Well, duh.

If Metrolinx cancels the contract without cause BBD will receive the lost profit on the transaction plus damages. Metrolinx will argue that there is cause and BBD has a crappy reputation and hence no damages to pay.

Of course that's b.s.

Only if we have the real court docs (they are public record so we should be able to see them). Not a reporters 140 word inflammatory comments on them.

If Metrolinx can prove that they can still achieve the contract requirements (which have been a moving target from Metrolinx - remember this isn't one-sided), then if the judge agrees that BBDs reputation has been tarnished, arguing it already sucked isn't likely to score you any points with the judge, and only increase the $ award for BBD.

There's a lot of posturing that goes on in court pleadings. Just look at those for a motor vehicle case. The defendant driver will be pleaded to be drunk, stoned, incapable and have a poorly maintained car. At trial, much of this will be discarded but at the beginning you don't rule anything out - in case.

I'm well on the side of Metrolinx bearing the responsibility here, especially since they have no experience with this type of vehicle, and have reason to want the order reduced.

Only if we have the real court docs (they are public record so we should be able to see them)
Not so fast. First off, there's no public record until after the case and all appeals, and secondly, this is Superior Court:
Publication Ban Requests in the Superior Court of Justice

The Superior Court of Justice’s policy regarding requests for publication bans is set out in section (F) of Part V of the Court’s Consolidated Provincial Practice Direction.

Any person seeking a discretionary publication ban must serve and file a formal Notice of Application/Motion, in accordance with the applicable procedural rules. In addition, unless otherwise directed by a judge, the person seeking the publication ban must provide notice to the media of the motion/application by completing and submitting the Notice of Request for Publication Ban form below. [...]
http://www.ontariocourts.ca/scj/publication-ban-requests/

And third:
The way Metrolinx are acting, it would appear they have a weak defence in court (remember, this is an action against Metrolinx, not the other way around) and so they're trying to sway public opinion with a hissy list. This indicates a likelihood that they will settle out of court, with that settlement stifling them from speaking publicly any more on the matter, so they're desperate to get "their side of the story" out before confidentiality of agreement takes hold.

'm well on the side of Metrolinx bearing the responsibility here, especially since they have no experience with this type of vehicle
"since they have no experience with this type of vehicle". Are you being facetious?

[Bombardier Flexity is a family of modern trams/streetcars and light rail vehicles manufactured by Bombardier Transportation. As of 2015, more than 3,500 Flexity vehicles are in operation around the world in Europe, Asia, Oceania, and North America in 100 cities among 20 countries internationally.[1] Production of the vehicles is done at Bombardier's global production plants[2] and by local manufacturers worldwide through technology transfer agreements.[3]]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexity

BBD are worthy of many crticisms, that certainly isn't one...

Edit: Please see clarification in post following. My apologies to Voltz.

Last edited:
"since they have no experience with this type of vehicle". Are you being facetious?

I think he was talking about Metrolinx here. Metrolinx has a majority of their experience with Heavy Rail Diesel powered trains and buses. They don't really have a lot of experience with Light Rail Vehicles or Electric Multiple Unit trains.

In fact the only real experience they have with any kind of Multiple Unit trainset is the Union Pearson Express (Diesel/Electric Mutiple Unit).

I think he was talking about Metrolinx here. Metrolinx has a majority of their experience with Heavy Rail Diesel powered trains and buses. They don't really have a lot of experience with Light Rail Vehicles or Electric Multiple Unit trains.
Indeed! My bad, don't know how I completely misread that. Metrolinx have no excuse in that regard, save for executive level incompetence. In all fairness, BBD are due the same criticism, but it's Metrolinx facing the injunction, not BBD.

In fact the only real experience they have with any kind of Multiple Unit trainset is the Union Pearson Express (Diesel/Electric Mutiple Unit).
Metrolinx itself has zero experience they got it all by being given go traist by the government of ontario. Go transit is a cash cow for them. Don't forget the haris government dumped Go transita who kept running on their own until Metrolinx was thrust on us my the mcginty government.

Back