News   May 17, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 720     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 6.5K     7 

Metrolinx $55 Billion Plan

I hope you're not calling *me* a mouthpiece...

Why not ask the TTC Chair himself...

I've met Giambrone a few times now, and he's a very approachable person. All you have to do is ask him anything on Facebook for example and he'll reply quite fast.

Regardless, while I don't agree with many of his views, he seems to have a genuine love for what he's doing - something we need more of in this city.

To reply about your DRL example: many of the Transit City lines shave only a few minutes off the commute. Hilariously enough, the lines where it would shave nearly 20 mins off (Waterfront West) is being put back as a lower priority. The DRL itself, considering the daunting task it has, will do more for the city and for commute times than streetcars on every single street in the city could ever do.

Last edited:
If funds are scarce, why is the TTC wasting money on projects that'll shave a couple minutes off a commuter's trip? Is that worth billions of dollars? Why waste money to stub-ify Sheppard permanently? Care to explain that one? Any mouthpiece may answer.

Why did you even ask that question if you have already clearly dismissed any answer you may not agree with as coming from some LRT evangelist mouthpiece?

If funds are scarce, then why waste money to overbuild one corridor where it never was needed and never will be?

On a different note, why do we have so many different regional plans by so many different agencies that are essentially the same thing!!

-MoveOntario2020
-Metrolinx Draft Rerional Transportation Plan (essentially compied everything from MO2020)
-GO 2020- By GO transit, basically what Matrolinx suggested for GO
-Transit City-being the first plan, by the city, was the basis of MO2020

Can't we just create ONE plan on which everyone agrees. Hopefully by Metrolinx as they're the Regional Transportation agency and they're supposed to teake over GO

-MoveOntario2020
-Metrolinx Draft Rerional Transportation Plan (essentially compied everything from MO2020)
-GO 2020- By GO transit, basically what Matrolinx suggested for GO
-Transit City-being the first plan, by the city, was the basis of MO2020

Move Ontario 2020 - first proposed by the province as the basis for the RTP. The province always intended Metrolinx to review and adjust MO2020 as it finalize the RTP. It is current the name for the funding pool which where the first phase of the RTP money will come from.

GO 2020 - GO's operational plan on how they will meet the goals set out in the RTP. Since the RTP is more of a high-level "guiding principles", this plan goes into the line-by-line specific plans.

Transit City - Toronto's proposal to build light rail within the city. Formalized and slightly modified under the RTP.

For all intents and purposes, the Metrolinx Regional Transportation Plan is the only regional plan. Of course, everyone wants to take some credit by putting their name on it, but don't let that fool you. The RTP is the supreme document.

ok, thanks for the clarification. It is a really great plan, but i dont really know how much will get built without federal funding. Let's hope Harper actualy does something useful during the prorogation and unveils infrastructure funding in the January 27th budget.

ok, thanks for the clarification. It is a really great plan, but i dont really know how much will get built without federal funding. Let's hope Harper actualy does something useful during the prorogation and unveils infrastructure funding in the January 27th budget.

In terms of MoveOntario 2020/Metrolinx RTP, with provincial funding only, they will be able to begin projects and fund them up until 2014 or something like that. Getting the federal funding will get them to around 2016/17 and then the tap would run dry. As I also recall, the funding problem (tolls, regional sales tax, parking tax, etc) is scheduled to be 'solved' around 2012, hopefully allowing the remainder of the plan to get funded.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the provincial portion is virtually guaranteed, so work will begin on many of these projects right away.

One can hope yes, but whether or not they will step up and give Ontario 6 bilion strictly for transit cis probably a stretch. We can only hope to get 2 or 3 billion, if anything, I think. Hopefully I eat these words though! :)

Interactive RTP

Partially to see how much date Google Maps can display, I've put the RTP on Google Maps. Since alignments are yet to be determined, I've used my best guess on alignments based on available information to m and my professional experience. These maps is to illustrate the RTP in a more practical way but should not be considered official or reliable

DO NOT LAND SPECULATE BASED ON MY MAPS!!

Existing Network

15 Year Network

25 Year Network

Now is the worst possible time to speculate on land, transit or no transit.

Well, I'm thinking more along the lines of people who might move away or to a property based on the possibility of a transit line coming in...

My cousin lives in Thornhill and her house backs onto a rail line that is scheduled to eventually see express rail every 15 minutes or better. She does not want the increased noise and has indicated that she will move. If she moves now and the rail line doesn't come in, then she'll be kicking herself (and her Metrolinx cousin) for selling a great house. If she moves now and they build a stop near her house she'll be kicking herself (and me) because the value will probably go through the roof.

I just don't want people to kick me.

Aside, I think my cousin is the best kind of NIMBY... The SYGIM

(Screw You Guys, I'm moving)

Metrolinx must get absolute power to redraw transit map
Dec 29, 2008 04:30 AM
Christopher Hume

If the future of the GTA rides on any one thing, it may be Metrolinx.

The arm's-length public agency was created expressly to plan, build and operate a regional public transit system across the Greater Toronto Area. Needless to say, it's an idea whose time has long since come.

Although there's no doubt such a network is desperately needed, the province has yet to give Metrolinx the powers required to do the job.

That means many things, most importantly, money. The big question revolves around who pays for what, and whether Metrolinx should have the authority to tax.

At a conference held earlier this year, a trio of transit gurus – former TTC general manager David Gunn, University of Toronto civil engineer Richard Soberman and Trent University economist Harry Kitchen – argued that the greatest obstacle facing Metrolinx was governance, or rather, the lack thereof.

Their point was that the current mandate isn't clear about who's in charge. Given a culture in which even large public projects, especially large public projects such as transit, are politicized beyond recognition, the need for autonomy is essential.

One need look no further than the Sheppard subway line to see what can happen when politics takes over from planning.

And who could forget Finance Minister Jim Flaherty's out-of-the-blue proposal in his budget last February to establish a train line between Toronto and Peterborough? Coincidentally, it would have gone through Flaherty's riding, Whitby-Oshawa. The scheme has since been dropped.

To make matters worse, Metrolinx's task runs counter to decades of planning and transportation policy in Ontario. The province's historic focus on cars and highways, subdivisions and malls has left public transit almost irrelevant throughout much of the GTA.

Then there's the Metrolinx insistence on a regional perspective, something many jurisdictions consider a threat.

They say moving minds is harder than moving bodies, and Metrolinx will be the test. Compared to changing attitudes, construction is the easy part.

And although Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty has signalled his support for Metrolinx, including a promise of $11.5 billion over 10 years, elements of the bureaucracy remain obdurate.

Compared to the federal government, however, Queen's Park represents enlightenment itself. Stephen Harper's administration, which has been asked for $6 billion, has yet to acknowledge that Metrolinx exists, let alone pledge funds.

Regardless, two weeks ago, the plan approved by Metrolinx's board was presented to Queen's Park. A response is expected by spring.

Though it often seems we're sleepwalking through these problems, this time the pressure is on. The GTA's highways already operate at capacity; even if they didn't, the fact is we need to get people out of their vehicles.

In other words, we need the province to say yes – and soon. Though many would love to see Metrolinx stumble, the stakes are too high.

Ironically, the economic crisis could provide just the excuse our leaders need if they're serious in their sudden interest in infrastructure as a way out of recession. How better to spend public money than on public transit?

Still, the switch from cars and highways to trains and buses, from the past to the future, won't be easy. For many GTA residents, life wouldn't be possible without the single-person automobile. Despite their resistance, they have most to gain by Metrolinx.

Unlike earlier transportation plans, this one takes the big picture into account. Transit becomes more than a way of getting from A to B; instead, it will be a framework for growth. Though some might be frightened by the prospect of change, the alternatives are worse.

Source

I was also reading (but cant recall where) yesterday that the former chief planner for the city (or something to that effect) is going to continue his crusade to get funding options looked at now.. and not in 5 years. We need to figure out how we are going to pay for these things long-term if we have any hope of implementing the whole, or majority of the RTP.

I was also reading (but cant recall where) yesterday that the former chief planner for the city (or something to that effect) is going to continue his crusade to get funding options looked at now.. and not in 5 years. We need to figure out how we are going to pay for these things long-term if we have any hope of implementing the whole, or majority of the RTP.

The funding options study begins in 2009, with a report back in 2011. This was decided back in November when the plan was approved.

I read that as well. It was Paul Bedford.

To reply about your DRL example: many of the Transit City lines shave only a few minutes off the commute. Hilariously enough, the lines where it would shave nearly 20 mins off (Waterfront West) is being put back as a lower priority. The DRL itself, considering the daunting task it has, will do more for the city and for commute times than streetcars on every single street in the city could ever do.

It is true that one new subway line, like the DRL, would be preferable to a dozen new streetcar lines, particularly when the streetcar lines are replacing buses for absolutely no good reasons, like on Morningside.

Transfer City is consistently hilarious...their own estimates claim routes like Sheppard East will be no faster than the Rocket bus, so by spending almost a billion dollars, all they'll accomplish is a reduction in frequency along Sheppard, and an increase in travel times for some riders.

There's plenty of places in this city where surface routes are dysfunctional in mixed traffic - more than enough corridors to wisely spend $10B on streetcar ROWs - but the intersection of Sheppard & Morningside is not and will never be one. Too bad Metrolinx has rubber stamped worthless parts of Transfer City.

Back