338     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 902     0 

Megxit (Prince Harry & Meghan Markle)

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I can understand the appeal of moving to Canada and especially Toronto for the couple. Their friends are here and we don't really do celebrity stalker culture here. And it shouldn't cost Canadian taxpayers anything outside of any official duties they perform as representatives of the crown. Lastly, it's good for Toronto's profile. Looks like a win win for TO.

I can understand the appeal of moving to Canada and especially Toronto for the couple. Their friends are here and we don't really do celebrity stalker culture here. And it shouldn't cost Canadian taxpayers anything outside of any official duties they perform as representatives of the crown. Lastly, it's good for Toronto's profile. Looks like a win win for TO.

Or not so seriously, pull a Norway 1905. We can ditch the GG and the LGs, and not having to bother with the somewhat awkward arrangement of a head of state being a sovereign shared with other realms.

AoD

Last edited:
If Prince Harry wants to be king, it would be an excellent opportunity for him to become King Henry (yes, Harry is actually a nickname for Henry) of Canada (and have us no longer recognize his paternal grandmother as queen). Given the line of succession (his two nephews and one niece are in line to the throne before Harry), it would be otherwise difficult for Prince Harry to become king (Harry is currently sixth in line).

Me, I have no preference as to who within the British royal family is the Canadian monarch.

Last edited:
Did you forget our city's denizens tracking down Kawhi's plane just this past summer?

Did you forget our city's denizens tracking down Kawhi's plane just this past summer?
Ah, but that’s sports celebrity, people go nuts for that. I imagine Harry could sit at the Food Court at the Eaton Centre and people either won’t GAF or recognize him. Canadians, like the honey badger, don't care.

Last edited:
Wonder if there would be some "spillover"?

Meghan and Harry trademark ‘Sussex Royal’ brand in move that could contribute to their push for ‘financial independence’
The royal couple’s plan for “financial independence” appears to have been in motion for months – and includes one particularly striking tactic.

See link.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s announcement yesterday that they were quitting as “senior” royals sparked a lot of questions.

One of the more intriguing ones was how, exactly, the couple intended to achieve their stated goal of becoming “financially independent”.
“We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty the Queen,” Harry and Meghan said.

The pair appear to have started laying a foundation for their plans all the way back in June of last year, when their advisers applied to trademark the brand “Sussex Royal” in the United Kingdom for dozens and dozens of items, ranging from clothing to stationery.

The Guardian reports that move came a couple of months after a failed attempt, by someone in Malta, to trademark Sussex Royal for a bunch of products. It didn’t go anywhere, because the word “royal” has special protections under Britain’s intellectual property laws.

Perhaps Meghan and Harry’s application was merely intended to prevent others from using their personal brand to flog knock-off products. But since those products would have been illegal anyway, the more likely explanation is that they want to sell their own stuff.

The official application published by Britain’s Intellectual Property Office in December lists well over a hundred items – books, magazines, posters, stationery, pens and pencils, footwear, headgear, T-shirts, coats, jackets, dresses and pyjamas, just to name a few.

It also includes a range of services, such as education, social care, emotional support groups, conferences, webinars, wellness training and so forth. These are the sorts of services and events you would expect the couple’s charitable foundation to organise.

It’s worth mentioning that in September, Meghan also quietly renewed the trademark for her old lifestyle website The Tig, which she shut down shortly before meeting Harry in 2017. As she steps back from life as a senior royal, she could potentially relaunch it – and monetise it.

This all adds another wrinkle to the discussions now under way between the pair and Buckingham Palace.

If Harry and Meghan are stepping back from their duties, will the Queen allow them to continue using their place in the royal family to boost their personal brand?

The risk, from her perspective, is that Harry and Meghan could run a breakaway royal brand, entirely separate from the monarchy itself, and use it to make money for themselves.

At the moment, the couple’s website is unmistakably royal. Their personal logo is not exactly subtle – an M and H fused together, underneath a crown.

Then there is Meghan's residues from her films and television series.

Andrew is thanking Harry for this distraction.

Indeed, Andrew is thanking him... Anyways, I thought that Harry and Megan were going to move to the US but I guess that I was wrong... They're a wonderful couple, regardless of where they settle in.

Indeed, Andrew is thanking him... Anyways, I thought that Harry and Megan were going to move to the US but I guess that I was wrong... They're a wonderful couple, regardless of where they settle in.
As a Brit-Canuck and a casual supporter of the monarchy I welcome them.

Not that I have been following the topic that closely, the only place I have seen the US comment is on a US entertainment site, saying they 'could' or 'might' because her mom lives there and she is an actress. Of course, everybody on the planet must want to move to the US.

Back