News   Apr 26, 2024
 357     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 923     1 

McGill in Toronto

rdaner

Member Bio
Reaction score
OMG! I have always said that McGill should open a campus in central Toronto but was mostly kidding. But now the administration is floating the idea! Whether it is an empty threat to get more out of Quebec City or real I don’t know. But there is chatter on SSP that it should go to Moncton. And what about Concordia?! They could go along the Eglinton Line.

From what I recall, McGill appears to attract a lot of students from North Toronto. Maybe move the campus to Glendon?

There's still tons of empty land around York U which is also conveniently close to 3 subway stops. Downsview Park is another option. Of course McGill is a very downtowny University but there just isn't much space to claim anywhere near the core. Unless, say, occupying an entire skyscraper becomes an option. (Which, imo, could be the long term fate of much high rise office space in T.O. (I mean educational space in general, not just McGill))

Last edited:
I see what you’re saying but an institution like McGill should be in the central city, maybe the Portlands. Btw, how would UofT feel about this?!

In the late 1960s and early 1970s, there was a 'popular demand' for McGill francais (SEE: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opération_McGill_français ) and there were some discussions at that time of moving ALL (or most) of the University to somewhere in Ontario. As far as I remember, no city was 'selected' but I think the idea was to some smaller City in the Ottawa valley like Cornwall or Brockville. Plus ca change and all that!

McGill announces award to offset Legault government's tuition hike. The award comes after the Quebec government confirmed its plan to increase tuition for students from the rest of Canada by 33 per cent.

McGill University says it will grant a $3,000 award to students starting in the fall 2024 or winter 2025 terms. McGill University is launching a new award in an effort to offset the Quebec government’s recent tuition hike for out-of-province students, the school announced Tuesday.

The university says it will grant the $3,000 award to students starting in the affected undergraduate programs in the fall 2024 or winter 2025 terms. The goal is to bring their tuition fees closer to what they were before the increase, the university said in a statement.

There's still tons of empty land around York U which is also conveniently close to 3 subway stops. Downsview Park is another option. Of course McGill is a very downtowny University but there just isn't much space to claim anywhere near the core. Unless, say, occupying an entire skyscraper becomes an option. (Which, imo, could be the long term fate of much high rise office space in T.O. (I mean educational space in general, not just McGill))
I mentioned in another thread that perhaps the Ontario Science Centre site + perhaps the unsold parking lots could work as well. Of course, if it isn't already accounted for already...

I see what you’re saying but an institution like McGill should be in the central city, maybe the Portlands. Btw, how would UofT feel about this?!
The Portlands are a bit of a stretch, but could work if the city gets its act together to build the Waterfront LRT East as soon as possible. I don't see UofT feeling that this is a risk- if anything, this could have synergistic clustering effects with the choice of two major universities in one city for students, professors, and other institutions.

Last edited:
Email from McGill's President:

Legal action

Following a unanimous vote at a special Board meeting on February 15, McGill University today launched a legal challenge against two government measures:
  • Tuition increases for Canadian students from outside Quebec studying in undergraduate and professional master’s programs; and
  • Changes to the funding model for international students studying in undergraduate and professional master’s programs.
The University is asking the court to issue a stay, which if granted would suspend the application of the two measures while the court considers the challenge. The case argues that the measures:
  • Constitute discrimination under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms as well as the Quebec Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms.
  • Were an unreasonable exercise of the powers of the Minister of Higher Education, since they were incompatible with the mission assigned to her by the Ministry of Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology Act.
  • Were adopted following inadequate consultation and an unfair process.
  • Constitute a disguised and illegal tax, which is being imposed without the authorization of the National Assembly.
  • Create unconstitutional barriers to interprovincial trade thereby limiting student mobility, choice of university and access to education.
This legal action does not challenge the francisation target announced by the government. McGill is participating in a government working group convened to discuss francisation, and we remain hopeful we can work together to set realistic, achievable targets.

Concordia University is also launching its own legal challenge today.

I wish them luck but some of their points seem to be beyond the reach of the court, although, having said that, it appears to be a civil lawsuit rather than a constitutional challenge, so perhaps there is more latitude.

Back