News   May 03, 2024
 769     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 493     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 247     0 

Mayor Olivia Chow's Toronto

The main burnt bridge that comes to mind is that he came out of the box early and endorsed Bailao for the mayoralty (before Chow entered the race)

The SAG-AFTRA, or Screen Actors Guild, went on strike yesterday. The early insider reports are there is an extremely bitter situation which is not expected to be resolved over the summer. This is on top of the Writer's Guild of America already on strike.
Note that Canadian writers and actors are not on strike, but they are generally leary of crossing any lines on anything but pure Canadian productions.

The Toronto connection here is TIFF, which most celebrities are now expected to pass on participation as they are boycotting any "red carpet" events.
In either case TIFF is now looking to be scaled back in glitz and glamour significantly this year, barring a surprise resolution in the next month.

Maybe that means we won't have to sacrifice King Street to TIFF this time!

I joke too much though as there will be a huge clawback in the hospitality industry if no one shows up from outside Toronto for TIFF. Thousands of dinners at fancy restaurants and hotel room bookings will not materialise.

The SAG-AFTRA, or Screen Actors Guild, went on strike yesterday. The early insider reports are there is an extremely bitter situation which is not expected to be resolved over the summer. This is on top of the Writer's Guild of America already on strike.
Note that Canadian writers and actors are not on strike, but they are generally leary of crossing any lines on anything but pure Canadian productions.

The Toronto connection here is TIFF, which most celebrities are now expected to pass on participation as they are boycotting any "red carpet" events.
In either case TIFF is now looking to be scaled back in glitz and glamour significantly this year, barring a surprise resolution in the next month.

Maybe that means we won't have to sacrifice King Street to TIFF this time?

I joke to much though as there will be a huge clawback in the hospitality industry if no one shows up from outside Toronto for TIFF.

And before TIFF - they aren't going to be at Fan Expo either...

AoD

Oof. I didn't think of that. At least half the draw of going are the show panels with the actors.

Yep. I already bought my tickets - and I was all gung-ho on meeting the Star Trek folks. I mean, this is the very definition of a first-world problem but...

AoD

Moise has burned a lot of bridges here in Ward 13 on his short time on council; my pick between him and Malik would also be Malik.
Moise won by a large margin last fall - the anointed successor to KWT in my ward 13. I don’t think he’s spending his capital very well and of course he didn’t back Chow. I’m holding on to see what happens. He strikes me as naive.

Oof. I didn't think of that. At least half the draw of going are the show panels with the actors.
I doubt it'll stop signings/photo ops though.

As someone who's been going to CCs since I was 15, it's a sad state that performers started charging for signatures/photos and that conventions encourage and take a share of that. It's become a larger source of income for many b-list actors, who run the doing convention circuit making more than they do in their given profession. I get the problem with speculators and understand it's a lifeline for older actors, so I can't with 100% conviction fault a charge, but I see it like tipping; a "necessity" that shouldn't have to happen in the first place.

So my guess is that panels will be out, but signings/photo ops will most definitely be in, as it is primarily self-promotion and not related to a given studio/work.

Now the lobbying and begging will begin!

Council Member Appointments
Date: July 12, 2023
To: City Council

RECOMMENDATIONS

Mayor Chow recommends that:

1. City Council direct the City Clerk to canvass Members of Council for their interest in appointment or reappointment to Council committees, local boards, City corporations and external agencies and report to a special meeting of the Striking Committee to be called for the purpose of recommending a new slate of appointments for Council consideration.

SUMMARY AND COMMENTS This recent by-election provided an incredible opportunity for all of us to hear more about people's priorities across our city. In the face of a deepening housing crisis, a sense of unease in our communities, and a transit system that is less reliable, it has become harder and harder for people to get by. People are being squeezed out of our city and far too many are being left behind. And we, as the City, are struggling financially with a budget hole left behind by a global pandemic and the longstanding need for a new deal for cities. This election people sent a clear message that they want life to improve in our city. They are calling on all of us to find the determination to work together to help change course. I not only believe that this is possible, I know it is absolutely necessary. Over the last few weeks I have had the distinct privilege of sitting down with Members of Council to hear directly what their priorities are for their local communities and for our city. There are many more conversations to be had in the coming days. And it is through these conversations that I have been made even more hopeful for the future of our city because I can see clear common ground across City Council. As we continue the term but also begin it anew, it is incumbent on us to find unity of purpose so that we can chart a better way forward.

Moise won by a large margin last fall - the anointed successor to KWT in my ward 13. I don’t think he’s spending his capital very well and of course he didn’t back Chow. I’m holding on to see what happens. He strikes me as naive.
He was our trustee before running for council. He got the nod from KWT when running for TDSB, and some respect from me for that endorsement. But as he was a single man with no kids, it always seemed like it was a stepping stone rather than any big desire to help kids the school system.

I doubt it'll stop signings/photo ops though.

As someone who's been going to CCs since I was 15, it's a sad state that performers started charging for signatures/photos and that conventions encourage and take a share of that. It's become a larger source of income for many b-list actors, who run the doing convention circuit making more than they do in their given profession. I get the problem with speculators and understand it's a lifeline for older actors, so I can't with 100% conviction fault a charge, but I see it like tipping; a "necessity" that shouldn't have to happen in the first place.

So my guess is that panels will be out, but signings/photo ops will most definitely be in, as it is primarily self-promotion and not related to a given studio/work.

I can see SAG-ACTRA mandating that festivals and appearances overall be nixed until the strike is over.

It is not studio related but they are still out there at a large internationally known festival. People will know them as the actor of this movie and that one which indirectly leads to promoting their upcoming projects.

I predict we will not see many if any actors at Fan Expo this year. I also expect TIFF to be severely toned down if not canceled outright.

I can see SAG-ACTRA mandating that festivals and appearances overall be nixed until the strike is over.

It is not studio related but they are still out there at a large internationally known festival. People will know them as the actor of this movie and that one which indirectly leads to promoting their upcoming projects.

I predict we will not see many if any actors at Fan Expo this year. I also expect TIFF to be severely toned down if not canceled outright.

They are:

Except as set forth in the Notice to Members Regarding Non-Struck Work, all covered services and performing work under the TV/ theatrical contracts must be withheld, including but not limited to:

Principal on camera work, such as:
○ Acting
○ Singing
○ Dancing
○ Performing stunts
○ Piloting on-camera aircraft
○ Puppeteering
○ Performance capture or motion capture work;

ADVERTISEMENT

Principal off camera work, such as:
○ ADR/Looping
○ TV Trailers (promos) and Theatrical Trailers
○ Voice Acting
○ Singing
○ Narration, including audio descriptive services except as the services may be covered by another collective bargaining agreement referred in the Notice to
Members Regarding Non-Struck Work
○ Stunt coordinating and related services

Background work
● Stand-in work
● Photo and/or body doubles
● Fittings, wardrobe tests, and makeup tests
● Rehearsals and camera tests
● Scanning
● Interviews and auditions (including via self-tape)

Promotion of/publicity services for work under the TV/Theatrical Contracts, such as:
○ Tours
○ Personal appearances
○ Interviews
○ Conventions
○ Fan expos
○ Festivals
○ For your consideration events
○ Panels
○ Premieres/screenings
○ Award shows
○ Junkets
○ Podcast appearances
○ Social media
○ Studio showcases

ADVERTISEMENT

Negotiating and/or entering into and/or consenting to:
○ An agreement to perform covered services in the future
○ Any new agreement related to merchandising connected to a covered project
○ The creation and use of digital replicas, including through the reuse of prior work

Performing on a trailer for a struck production or other ancillary content connected to a struck production

AoD

Back