News   May 07, 2024
 345     0 

Mayor Miller to resign?

Glen

Member Bio
Reaction score
^^^Yup. Not running:

Sep 25, 2009 10:24 AM
Be the first to comment on this article...
Vanessa Lu
City Hall Bureau Chief

Citing the importance of family life and his record of accomplishments in office, David Miller said this morning that he will not seek re-election as Toronto's mayor next year.

Miller noted that his son and daughter were born after he was first elected to Metro Council in 1994, and said pressure on his personal life intensified after his election as mayor in 2003.

If he ran next year for a third term, his daughter Julia would be in university and son Simon graduating from high school, the mayor told supporters and media gathered at his city hall office.

"This would not have allowed me to be there for them in the way that they deserve," Miller said.

The outer lounge in the mayor's office was jam-packed with media and supporters from both his 2003 and 2006 campaigns.

Miller's campaign manager in 2006, John Laschinger, showed up along with Miller stalwarts on council including Janet Davis, Kyle Rae and Gord Perks.

Miller has been recently battered in the polls and in the media over his handling of this summer's 39-day civic strike.

A savvy lawyer, he was swept into office in 2003 after a hard-fought campaign against Barbara Hall and John Tory, using a broom as a symbol of his promise to clean up the city — from the influence of lobbyists to revitalizing the waterfront. He also vowed to kill a bridge to the island airport, a decision he said would ensure it remain a sleepy commuter airport.

Miller enjoyed widespread popularity in his first term, easily winning re-election in 2006 against Jane Pitfield, the only politician willing to throw her hat into the ring since he seemed invincible.

Fast forward three years, and the landscape has changed.

Tory, who had a stint as leader of the provincial Tories, is said to be seriously considering a second run. Just this week, he was picked to host the afternoon drive-home radio show on Newstalk 1010, a move viewed as a perfect perch from which to launch a campaign.

And George Smitherman, the feisty deputy premier, has also publicly said he is mulling his own bid. That's a change from earlier insistence that he wasn't interested in the job. During the strike, Smitherman even picked up his own broom to lead a citizen cleanup effort, declaring he was a man who knows how to operate a broom.

Miller had always insisted he wanted to be a three-term mayor, in part because that was the amount of time needed to bring about change to the city.

And he is certainly not one who shies away from a fight.

Earlier this month, when asked about what kind of candidate Smitherman would make, he refused to take the bait. "I'm sure in the next election I'll have an opponent, and look forward to debating the issues with whoever it is.

"There have been lots of people floated," he said, before going into what sounded like a stump speech, touting his record on environmental and transit issues.

Although Miller has been playing a bigger role on the international stage, in recent weeks he has also been sounding like a local candidate in election mode, ready to take on any challengers.

Last weekend, he had a jam-packed schedule, from opening a new section of the Martin Goodman Trail to the Bloor West Ukrainian festival to Eid festivities and the Urban Film Festival awards.

And the mayor, who has undergone a vigorous diet and exercise regimen, shedding 50 pounds and going below 200 pounds for the first time in 20 years, is eager to run his first half-marathon Sunday.

Whoever the next mayor is, he or she will owe a great deal to Mr. Miller. He has brought forth new powers to the City and the mayors office.

Now that he is off the ticket, I hope he can expediate his goals for the next year without having to appease the polls.

It's official. There's room for both Smitherman and Tory.

I think it'll be Smitherman VS Tory VS Thompson.

I'm sad about this. I've always thought that Miller worked on the engine of running the city rather than polishing the bodywork so he didn't get the credit he deserved.

I hope he will now fight for a Strong Mayor system since he won't be seen to benefit himself.

Funny thing, is that I could have sworn that I read in the media either just before of after the 2006 election, that Miller had no plans to run a third time, so 2006 was his last kick at the can. And then since then there has been talk of a third term.

Am I just imagining it?

I'm pretty sure Miller said at some point that a third term would be his last. I wish I could find that quote.

The first term was about cleaning house from the mess of the Lastman era and getting more money for municipalities by leading a coalition of Canadian cities and by working with McGuinty who still had to prove himself and recognize Toronto for his election. He also stressed social programs as a component of fighting crime and replaced Fantino with Blair on that agenda.

The second term was about Transit city, moving from concept to construction on the waterfront, getting more powers for Toronto (including taxing power) and releasing our city from the shackles of provincial parenthood.

The third term would be about using this new power, these new financial resources and finally getting the city to financial stability. Miller would be cutting a lot of ribbons in his third term: for transit city, for the new waterfront communities, Queens Quay and perhaps just in time for the removed Gardiner East from Jarvis.

As you can see, his third term would be exactly what he said: about himself. It would be the basking in the sun, reaping the benefits of his 12 years of work.

He gave that up today but I think the history books will be kind to him. A lot of the groundwork that he's done over his two terms will benefit his successor and many future successors afterwards.

Last edited:
Whoever the next mayor is, he or she will owe a great deal to Mr. Miller. He has brought forth new powers to the City and the mayors office.

Now that he is off the ticket, I hope he can expediate his goals for the next year without having to appease the polls.

Sneaky move on his part. Appoint himself as the CEO of Invest Toronto - a potentially lucrative and high profile position in the private sector, then walks away from the HUGE hole he has put in the city in since his administratrion (3 billion dollars and counting). It's a good thing interests rates are as low as they are now.

I'm sorry, but if you don't find parallels with what he's done and the commie generals of the former USSR that are now Oil tycoons, then we have no discussion... comrade ;)

Sneaky move on his part. Appoint himself as the CEO of Invest Toronto - a potentially lucrative and high profile position in the private sector,

I've heard this theory a couple of times lately, but it feels like a complete conspiracy theory. Has there been any indication that David Miller intends to remain CEO of Invest Toronto beyond the end of his term?

The appointment is an interim measure until they find a permanent CEO.

re: Lame Duck - well Gloria Luby Lindsay just jumped the Exec. Committee ship.

AoD

Miller did say he wants to remain in public work, just not on an elected level. I wouldn't be surprised to see him work on the implementation of Transit City, Waterfront Toronto or another city agency related to the goals he had as Mayor.

Back