News   May 21, 2024
 372     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 337     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 3.4K     5 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

so, he'll waste a billion dollars plus on a subway to nowhere differently than Ford how?
or is it the shell game economics of how he "balanced" the budget that impresses you?
perhaps his attempts at decimating planning, the ombudsman,integrity commissioners offices and oversight is what is most likable?
yeah, he's not drunk... but, he's still garbage.

It was city council under the then Mayor Rob Ford who voted for that subway.

Umm, Tory unequivocally supports the subway and says it's his number one priority.

Now that the election is over, I wonder how much of Tory's stance is realpolitik. I think the Scarborough subway extension is a colossal waste. But it's become so entrenched politically that I fear that ripping up the plans now would cause *all* transit development/improvement to collapse for the foreseeable future out of sheer spite. Our political masters — through disgusting examples of selfish and rotten governance — have backed us into a corner. My only hope is that increasing evidence against the value of construction and its costs will eventually erode some of the current local support and open a political window to better planning. I'm not optimistic.

Now that the election is over, I wonder how much of Tory's stance is realpolitik. I think the Scarborough subway extension is a colossal waste. But it's become so entrenched politically that I fear that ripping up the plans now would cause *all* transit development/improvement to collapse for the foreseeable future out of sheer spite. Our political masters — through disgusting examples of selfish and rotten governance — have backed us into a corner. My only hope is that increasing evidence against the value of construction and its costs will eventually erode some of the current local support and open a political window to better planning. I'm not optimistic.

If the Scarborough subway extension project reverts - again - to LRT, can the subway levy stay in place, or will it have to be negotiated aaall over again?

If the Scarborough subway extension project reverts - again - to LRT, can the subway levy stay in place, or will it have to be negotiated aaall over again?

Politically, council would probably have to drop it (although I'd say keep it — even raise it — as an ongoing fund for transit). I wonder how big a fight there would be over what to do with the money it raised.

Now that the election is over, I wonder how much of Tory's stance is realpolitik.
It's absolutely politics. No way an intelligent business man who has has introduced a much-needed evidence-based policy approach to city hall thinks the Scarborough subway is the correct option. But Scarborough is a vote-rich constituency that could easily be swayed by Ford in 2018 if residents feel shafted.

Last edited:
It's absolutely politics. No way an intelligent business man who has has introduced a much-needed evidence-based policy approach to city hall thinks the Scarborough subway is the correct option. But Scarborough is a vote-rich constituency that could easily be swayed by Ford in 2018 if residents feel shafted.

Tory will maximize cost-overruns on Spadina (accelerated timeframe, he can sell it on preventing another rush bus order). Scarborough subway price gets adjusted up for these new risks cost/timeline risks which Spadina experienced.

Tory marches forward with a plan to increase the special Scarborough subway tax increase (nearly double for a 15% SCC subway cost increase). Since Ford already made it a special tax line-item so the public will see the really obvious tax-bill implications of that special item doubling and demand the cost be decreased somehow.

Tory will eventually relent and ask staff to consider alternative technologies to subway (break his promise in response to public demand, even in Scarborough) and they'll probably build a 1 stop SCC branch of Smart Track (downtown express in 20 minutes with 10 minute frequencies; easy sell) and improved Smart Track through the north end of Scarborough (15 minute frequencies), and perhaps use existing TTC special monies to extend Sheppard LRT.

~7 minute overall frequencies should be doable on a single electrified GO RER line.

Last edited:
so, he'll waste a billion dollars plus on a subway to nowhere differently than Ford how?
or is it the shell game economics of how he "balanced" the budget that impresses you?
perhaps his attempts at decimating planning, the ombudsman,integrity commissioners offices and oversight is what is most likable?
yeah, he's not drunk... but, he's still garbage.
You are obviously insane and have not been following anything and /or making sense of it.

Umm, Tory unequivocally supports the subway and says it's his number one priority.

His number 1 is SmartTrack. He supports the Scarborough because he has said in the past the problems with transit in this city is the politicians cancelling projects that were approved before they came to office that are then cancelled and obviously he does not want to be one of those people to cancel a previously approved project. Although with the speculation that Smart Track might be too close to a potential Scarborough subway and that there might be some sort of merge between the 2 which means really no Scarborough subway but it will be done in a way as if Scarborough is getting one. Perhaps Tory also knows this too

I doubt after 4 years of Tory people in Scarborough will want Ford back. How insane can they be?

I think mostly so his Smart Track has the space in the GO/SRT corridor. If the LRT conversion happens there would be a real problem with expanding the corridor for extra tracks. Things could be shared I guess but there would be more money spent.

Personally ST is interesting, and you could build an EL to deal with things but the big thing we should be looking at is a revival of the GO ALRT(?) planned for across northern Toronto.

http://m.torontosun.com/2015/03/12/tory-wont-apologize-to-ford-staffer-who-filed-complaint

The mayor isn’t apologizing to a Rob Ford staffer who complained about him to the integrity commissioner.
As the Toronto Sun first reported, Dan Jacobs — Ford’s executive assistant and former mayor’s office chief of staff — filed a complaint in the wake of John Tory’s tussle with Ford on the council floor on Wednesday.
In response to Ford questioning his office budget, Tory stressed that he’s running the mayor’s office in a “professional manner.” That prompted a complaint from Jacobs, who argued Tory’s exchange with Ford called into question “the manner in which I conducted myself while employed in the Office of the Mayor, as it does for any past employees of that office.”
“Not only is this incredibly disrespectful, but I believe it could open both the mayor and the city to potential liability, as it puts a negative slant on my work as an employee of the city, which he has no right to say,” Jacobs wrote to the city’s integrity commissioner.
On Thursday, Tory shrugged off a question about Jacobs’ complaint and his request for an apology.
“I think the overall record on all this speaks for itself,” Tory said. “I have really nothing to add.”
Jacobs said Tory’s response didn’t address his concern at all.
“Based on his response, it seems he thinks his comments were solely directed at Councillor Ford. They were not. His comments were about the office, and its professional conduct,” Jacobs told the Sun Thursday afternoon.
“I have received nothing from his office or the integrity commissioner as of yet, and I believe the mayor owes all staff who worked under Mayor Rob Ford an apology.”

This was also posted in the Ford thread, but is relevant here as well.

Last edited:
You are obviously insane and have not been following anything and /or making sense of it.

Is there one thing I said there that is incorrect?
Tory is, of course - and thank goodness, not the bumbling fool that Ford is but their core politics and policies are almost indistinguishable.
This makes Tory an even greater threat in my opinion.

His number 1 is SmartTrack. He supports the Scarborough because he has said in the past the problems with transit in this city is the politicians cancelling projects that were approved before they came to office that are then cancelled and obviously he does not want to be one of those people to cancel a previously approved project. Although with the speculation that Smart Track might be too close to a potential Scarborough subway and that there might be some sort of merge between the 2 which means really no Scarborough subway but it will be done in a way as if Scarborough is getting one. Perhaps Tory also knows this too

I believe that the current agreement with the province and metrolinx is still for the LRT, no? The subway numbers have yet to be hammered out (I'm not even sure if the federal money has been officially applied for) - heck, they have no idea where it's even going to run nevermind been able to start an EA. What I'm saying is: this project hasn't even started enough to be "cancelled".
I do believe that the long game may be the idea of smart track replacing and bettering the subway option - it would be a dangerous and devious switcheroo and if he got away with it I would applaud his brilliance.

Last edited:
John Tory actually graduated from university. As a lawyer. From Wikipedia, at this link:

He received his Bachelor of Laws degree in 1978 from Osgoode Hall Law School of York University. He was called to the Bar in Ontario in 1980.

Rob Ford graduated from high school, and only went to university but never completed his degree. Rob went straight to work in his family business.

I think that if John Tory talks with the city solicitor, he actually knows what that solicitor will tell him about integrity, one-to-one. No need for an interpreter .

Back