News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 330     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 894     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Multiple appointments approved during this Council session.

New staff (Deputy City Manager level); but also slews of board appointments and renewals, TTC/Hydro/TCHC among others.

Some appointments had at least marginal controversy attached in as much as a few different councillors wanted them deferred til after the Mayoral election; but that was not to be, as they were all pushed through.

One name of note..........

Welcome back to City Hall............Joe Cressy as the new Chair of the TCHC Board of Directors.

This is in the 51 Division notes on a recent Community Policing update:

"As of this week, Allen Gardens is now the number one priority for the City Manager and Deputy Mayor. There is now double the security compliment onsite, some are in car and some are patrolling. They are being monitored by City staff. There are signs on the west side of the park that say ‘no tents’ which gives the City the ability to remove tents after 24 to 48 hours."

Of course, the City having the 'ability' to remove tents is far from saying they have the balls to do so!

This is in the 51 Division notes on a recent Community Policing update:

"As of this week, Allen Gardens is now the number one priority for the City Manager and Deputy Mayor. There is now double the security compliment onsite, some are in car and some are patrolling. They are being monitored by City staff. There are signs on the west side of the park that say ‘no tents’ which gives the City the ability to remove tents after 24 to 48 hours."

Of course, the City having the 'ability' to remove tents is far from saying they have the balls to do so!
Something tells me the city staff doesn't want make waves, so they will leave this on the back burner for a week, so that the new Mayor can address.

Last edited:
From Economist, of course one can argue about the criteria but ...

eiu.jpg

May as well squeeze this in before this thread is closed!

Request for Proposals for Design and Construction of a New Park at 229 Richmond Street West
-

Request for Proposals for Design and Construction of a New Park at 229 Richmond Street West

To the following pre-qualified five Suppliers only to submit bids for the performance of the Work, as further described in Part 3 and the Contract:

• PMA Landscape Architects Ltd. with SLA Partnership

• O2 Planning and Design Inc. with OLIN

• DTAH Architects Limited

• Public City Architecture Inc.

• West 8 Urban Design and Landscape Architecture

Only the Bids received from the Suppliers identified above shall be considered by the City.

Last edited:
See you later, Tory.

I don't think they'll be building a statue of you in years to come, lets put it that way.
Captured my thoughts. Even though his time is up, I’m left wondering what Tory thought he had to offer as mayor of Toronto. Some people run because they can win, and pretty much that’s all.

See you later, Tory.

I don't think they'll be building a statue of you in years to come, lets put it that way.
I honestly don't know what positive legacy he leaves aside from "Not being Rob Ford". No memorable accomplishments (SmartTrack was a joke, Rail Deck Park got destroyed by developers), basically ran our finances into the ground, and resigned in scandal.

I honestly don't know what positive legacy he leaves aside from "Not being Rob Ford". No memorable accomplishments (SmartTrack was a joke, Rail Deck Park got destroyed by developers), basically ran our finances into the ground, and resigned in scandal.

There are *some* - watered down King Street transit priority; city office consolidation, etc. But generally speaking, his tenure is one of impotence.

AoD

Don't forget the east Gardiner rebuild boondoggle, and his failure to implement road tolls and other revenue tools.

Nope.

The city has the power to create tolls on city owned roads/highways. Any act against that by the province is interference, not “control”.

@picard102 is correct.

The City of Toronto does NOT have statutory authority to implement tolls.

Tolls were approved by Council under John Tory and vetoed by the cabinet of Premier Wynne.

The City had to request permission to implement tolls and that was denied.

Back