News   May 17, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 8.9K     9 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

What?!
giphy.gif

From link.

Don't you read, listen, or see the news?

Yeah, watch Doug get in and punish Toronto for rejecting him last time. At least the mayoral campaign might be a bit more civil...

I dunno, if anything Ford would be trying to keep the peace with Tory. IMO at least. Yes the Prov has the wherewithal for Ford to flout and make rain. But Tory is the real-deal businessman Doug pretends to be. And educated. And experienced. Doug on the other hand is garbage, and a phony.

Toronto and Tory are powerhouses with more leverage than people realize. Guy might hit the gin...but I think it'll be shaken, not stirred.

John Tory's business bio in Wikipedia, at this link:

From 1972 to 1979, Tory was hired by family friend Ted Rogers as a journalist for Rogers Broadcasting's Toronto radio stations CFTR and CHFI. From 1980 to 1981, and later from 1986 to 1995, Tory held various positions at Tory, Tory, DesLauriers & Binnington including partner, managing partner, and member of the Executive Committee.

From 1981 to 1985, Tory served in the office of the Premier of Ontario, Bill Davis as principal secretary to the Premier and associate secretary of the cabinet. In 1985, Davis retired as premier. Tory joined the office of the Canadian Special Envoy on Acid Rain, as special advisor to the special envoy. The special envoy had been appointed by the federal government of Brian Mulroney to review matters of air quality with a United States counterpart. Tory supported Dianne Cunningham's bid to lead the provincial Progressive Conservative Party in 1990.

Tory later served as tour director and campaign chairman to then Prime Minister Brian Mulroney, and managed the 1993 federal election campaign of Mulroney's successor, Kim Campbell. Tory was criticized for approving a 1993 election ad that mocked Liberal Party leader Jean Chrétien's facial deformity (although the Conservatives denied that was the ad's intention). The Conservatives suffered the most lopsided defeat for a governing party at the federal level in Canadian history, losing half their vote from 1988 and all but two of their 151 seats.

From 1995 to 1999, he returned to Rogers Communications Inc., but this time as president and CEO of Rogers Media which had become one of Canada's largest publishing and broadcasting companies. Rogers has interests in radio and television stations, internet, specialty television channels, consumer magazines, trade magazines and, at the time, the Toronto Sun and the Sun newspaper chain.

In 1999, he became president and CEO of Rogers subsidiary Rogers Cable, which he led through a period of transition from a monopoly environment to an open marketplace, overseeing a significant increase in operating income. Tory stepped down after Ted Rogers announced that he would stay on as president and CEO of parent company Rogers Communications. He served as the ninth commissioner of the Canadian Football League from 1996 to 2000.

Tory continued to have an interest in being a broadcaster throughout his life and, as a Rogers executive, hosted a public affairs program on Rogers Cable's community access channel for many years. He sat as a board member of Metro Inc., the Quebec-based parent corporation for Metro and Food Basics grocery stores.

Doug Ford's business bio in Wikipedia, at this link:

In the 1990s, Ford became involved in the running of Deco Labels and Tags, a business co-founded by his father in 1962. The company makes pressure-sensitive labels for plastic-wrapped grocery products. Doug Jr became president of the company in 2002, and was responsible for the company's expansion into Chicago. Nearing his death, his father divided up the company leaving 40% to Doug Jr, 40% to Randy and 20% to Rob. In 2008, Doug Jr launched the purchase of Wise Tag and Label in New Jersey and fired Wise Tag's manager. Former Deco employees suggest that the company was well-managed under Doug Jr and that he was well-liked in Chicago, but that the company declined under Randy's leadership after Doug Jr entered politics in 2010. As of 2011, Ford and his mother were directors of the company, managed by his brother Randy.

Ford's first involvement in politics came when Doug Holyday approached Deco to print "For mayor" stickers for signs for his 1994 campaign for mayor of Etobicoke. Ford took it upon himself to canvass for Holyday. He then assisted in his father's campaigns as a PC candidate for MPP in 1995 and 1999.

Doug business bio subject to change, according to the news this week.

I dunno, if anything Ford would be trying to keep the peace with Tory. IMO at least. Yes the Prov has the wherewithal for Ford to flout and make rain. But Tory is the real-deal businessman Doug pretends to be. And educated. And experienced. Doug on the other hand is garbage, and a phony.

Toronto and Tory are powerhouses with more leverage than people realize. Guy might hit the gin...but I think it'll be shaken, not stirred.

Oh yeah, this is a beauty. Nice one, 44 North. I fully agree.
I wasn't suggesting Tory is hitting the gin in an ill-fated attempt to forget his problems or drown his anxiety, merely that he needed a swift jolt to prep for some seriously unfortunate business ahead.

Oh yeah, this is a beauty. Nice one, 44 North. I fully agree.
I wasn't suggesting Tory is hitting the gin in an ill-fated attempt to forget his problems or drown his anxiety, merely that he needed a swift jolt to prep for some seriously unfortunate business ahead.

Don't forget for one second that JoTo is as blue as it gets - and I wouldn't be surprised if he still have hooks to other factions in the party (not to mention to power elites - these folks are not prone to make a lot of noise pulling on the levers of power).

AoD

Compared with four years of Rob Ford as Mayor, a definite YES!
I’ll have to disagree with my learned colleague. With JoTo you get all the Ford policy insanity, but delivered in a moderate, reasonable tone by somebody with enough political smarts to actually implement it. Tory’s worse than Ford because he’s more effective.

Don't forget for one second that JoTo is as blue as it gets - and I wouldn't be surprised if he still have hooks to other factions in the party (not to mention to power elites - these folks are not prone to make a lot of noise pulling on the levers of power).

AoD

Yeah, but I will take ideologically different leaders over bluntly incompetent and greasy demagogues and authoritarians any day of the week.

I respect Tory. Can't say the same of the Fords.

Yeah, but I will take ideologically different leaders over bluntly incompetent and greasy demagogues and authoritarians any day of the week.

I respect Tory. Can't say the same of the Fords.

I meant it in a fairly neutral, matter-of-fact manner - at least he is competent even if the policies are often not my cup of tea. Can't say the same for the Fords.
Then again, from the perspective of those who have been denied power, some may take anything they can get.

AoD

So, I'm guessing the DRL isn't going to be happening any time within our lives?

Back