News   May 31, 2024
 28     0 
News   May 30, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   May 30, 2024
 1.6K     2 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

From 2017 Preliminary Operating Budget & 2017 - 2026 Capital Budget & Plan at this link, located at this website.

Parks, Forestry & Recreation
Close 16 TDSB Exclusive Use & Stand Alone Facilities
Close Selected Stand-Alone Outdoor Pools (12)
Close Selected Wading Pools (36)
Discontinue Service at 10 TDSB Indoor Pools
Reduce Turf Maintenance Flying Crews

Must be because the budget committee members do not believe in climate change. There is no need for swimming pools or wading pools, so we the public can cool off, because the climate will not get hotter.

NOT!

From 2017 Preliminary Operating Budget & 2017 - 2026 Capital Budget & Plan at this link, located at this website.

Must be because the budget committee members do not believe in climate change. There is no need for swimming pools or wading pools, so we the public can cool off, because the climate will not get hotter.

NOT!

I didn't know that swimming pools are a climate change initiative. Please email the city then and let them know that swimming pools are missing from the city's Climate Change Action Plan.

Those proposed cuts are disturbing and disgusting. Perhaps it's a roundabout way for John Tory to justify road tolls and other new revenue streams? That's what I hope at least. Otherwise, I'd like to see him take a 2.5% cut in his salary to lead by example.

Otherwise, I'd like to see him take a 2.5% cut in his salary to lead by example.

He can't do that. Council/Mayor do not have authority to modify their own salaries.

They can set the salaries for the next council/mayor; which may include many of the same people but there has to be an election between the setting of the rates and the new rates coming into play.

At best he could offer to donate 2.5% of his salary to a charity.

He can't do that. Council/Mayor do not have authority to modify their own salaries.

They can set the salaries for the next council/mayor; which may include many of the same people but there has to be an election between the setting of the rates and the new rates coming into play.

At best he could offer to donate 2.5% of his salary to a charity.

Or he can donate it back to the city, which will in essence translate into a cut in his salary with the city being the beneficiary. Having said that - I am super circumspect about this sort of thing (i.e. only the rich will run)

AoD

Or he can donate it back to the city, which will in essence translate into a cut in his salary with the city being the beneficiary. Having said that - I am super circumspect about this sort of thing (i.e. only the rich will run)

AoD
He should just follow Doug's example and announce he's donating his salary to charity - but then don't.

Regardless, the pay cut angle is bad policy from all angles. Inflation is real and the more out of whack public service gets the more likely you are to attract poor talent and corruption. If we need to cut salary costs reduce the number of positions by eliminating activities they support - still sucks but at least it's sustainable.

Ironic thought of the day: Involving BLM Toronto in turning these budget cuts into a racial issue.

BLM is the radioactive political hot potato that any politician won't want to touch with a ten foot pole, and landing this hot potato in the lap of Tory will make him pretty uncomfortable.

On top of that, there are grounds to this budget impacting minorities and the poor more than others (especially considering TTC fares, poverty programs).

But then again, BLM is usually more content at tilting at cultural windmills, so you'd never know.

Ironic thought of the day: Involving BLM Toronto in turning these budget cuts into a racial issue.

BLM is the radioactive political hot potato that any politician won't want to touch with a ten foot pole, and landing this hot potato in the lap of Tory will make him pretty uncomfortable.

On top of that, there are grounds to this budget impacting minorities and the poor more than others (especially considering TTC fares, poverty programs).

But then again, BLM is usually more content at tilting at cultural windmills, so you'd never know.

Why is there so much hostility to BLM on this board?

You say that BLM is "turning these budget cuts into a racial issue" then go on to say these budge cuts disproportionately hurt minorities and the poor. What is the "irony" here?

Why is there so much hostility to BLM on this board?

You say that BLM is "turning these budget cuts into a racial issue" then go on to say these budge cuts disproportionately hurt minorities and the poor. What is the "irony" here?

No, I'm pondering about a hypothetical in channeling BLM Toronto into protesting for something that actually would have an impact.

The mayor continues to support Nick Kouvalis who is currently the architect of Kellie Leitch's divisive campaign. Tory's spouse has donated money to that campaign.

Tory told the National Post editorial board Thursday he hopes Kouvalis will play a similar role in 2018. “He’s one of the smartest people I have available to me.”

Back