News   Apr 26, 2024
 920     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 257     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 766     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

maybe he's being affected by that U of T study...
A study from the University of Toronto recommends that a change in tactics is long overdue for Canada's culture of activism, one that does not include civil disobedience, shouting, or getting angry at all.

University of Toronto psychologist Nadia Bashir studied the ability of certain types of activists to have influence over the opinions of the general public.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/ian-carey/civil-disobedience-activism_b_7775798.html

however...
All the benefits Roslyn Kunin attributes to life in Canada in her recent column, including peace and order and good government came about through civil disobedience. The suffragettes who won women the right vote did not shy away from it.

Civil disobedience is breaking an unjust law or breaking a law to draw attention to an unjust law. It has played a major role in creating democracy around the world. We shouldn’t forget that ever.
http://www.canadianprogressiveworld.com/2013/02/07/a-case-for-civil-disobedience-in-canada/

I'll fess up - I'm a TCHC tenant since about 8 years ago when I had a series of serious medical issues that cascaded into a situation where I was so physically disabled that my little 2 up 2 down rowhouse in the Film District was literally a death trap. I couldn't believe my luck in finding a market rent (barely) accessible unit 2 blocks from my medical care team. The crack alley under my balcony is not a huge problem, and the dealer in the building is, as they say, "known to police" for a whole bunch of issues. I've never met her and don't live near her, but even the stories about her are not like the horror stories of the Rexdale & Scarborough variety. And nobody's afraid of her - she is regularly confronted by residents. Even the addicts out back don't mess with tenants, and they don't scare this 60+ year old wheelchair dependent female. But I'll tell you who does.

I thought the "review" Tory announced was supposed to be about the bureaucratic nightmare that is TCHC. I had no faith that Tory and Eggleton would solve anything - actually sounded like a replay of Ford appointing his buddy Case Ootes to take over TCHC for a year after firing top staff and the Board, and landing us with Gene Jones.

Keeping in mind that TCHC has not had a "real" CEO since Jones left, and now this "TCHC is going to get Tough on Crime" (again) announcement, and Tory's flip-flop on carding, and the ongoing guns and gangs shootings (even noting that the Dixon towers are not TCHC), and the coppers killing 2 black men under very suspicious circumstances, well, yes Mr.Tory, BlackLivesMatter is civil disobedience (as opposed to R. Ford's uncivil disobedience),and I am dearly hoping that his prominent friends who briefly convinced him carding was just wrong, wrong, wrong will take him aside and explain the concept of civil disobedience to him.

I believe that this may well be the Mayor's dog whistle to influence the hiring of the next TCHC CEO. Drugs are not just a TCHC problem, its a social problem that's not unique to "the ghetto", or Toronto, but there's a whole lot of nutters out there who don't think he's going far enough in punishing TCHC. And anyone out there who's got the background in social housing and urban development to be able to do the CEO's job will definitely not be applying. Or maybe Tory's already got another Andy Pringle up hi sleeve?

Last edited:

Back