1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 373     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 947     1 

Mark Saunders: Toronto's new police chief

Now you see him, soon you won't

Toronto police chief Mark Saunders to resign effective July 31
Maybe he'll run for the Liberals in the next election. With Fantino and Blair leading the way, Parliament Hill seems to be a retirement home for Toronto's police chiefs.

I can't blame him for bailing when this defund and change policing is coming, especially if he was thinking of hanging it up in 2021. This coming shake-up of the TPS is a young man's game.

Agreed. I personally know a couple. In days of yore, the system under you was more allowed to do its thing but now with everybody wanting he boss to be on top of everything, formal media, social media, etc., coupled with committees and conferences it's virtually a 24/7 job. The days of long tenure chief officers is gone.

Whether they stay inside, go outside or even civilian will be interesting. For a large service, going outside is often seen as bit of indictment on command succession (although sometimes it can be as simple as nobody in command staff wanting it - they like their life).

Agreed. I personally know a couple. In days of yore, the system under you was more allowed to do its thing but now with everybody wanting he boss to be on top of everything, formal media, social media, etc., coupled with committees and conferences it's virtually a 24/7 job. The days of long tenure chief officers is gone.

Whether they stay inside, go outside or even civilian will be interesting. For a large service, going outside is often seen as bit of indictment on command succession (although sometimes it can be as simple as nobody in command staff wanting it - they like their life).
I'm thinking civilian chief with TPS senior as deputy chief.

Picking this discussion back from the bin here...
I've been researching our fine candidate for mayor and have heard several times that Mr Saunders is/was not well regarded by many in the Toronto Police Service but I cannot verify this in print.
Can anyone provide an article or incident where the rank and file found fault with Mark Saunders 🤔 and why ?

Picking this discussion back from the bin here...
I've been researching our fine candidate for mayor and have heard several times that Mr Saunders is/was not well regarded by many in the Toronto Police Service but I cannot verify this in print.
Can anyone provide an article or incident where the rank and file found fault with Mark Saunders 🤔 and why ?

Here's one, but take careful note of the print source, and also that it's only a single officer of many thousands they managed to get on record to say this.

Back