News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 502     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

LuminaTO

Do they have the lights on the waterfront this year? or the art exhibits at BCE place, union station, I remember last year the giant Inflated horses at Union staiton.

coach handbags outlet|microsoft office 2010|Coach Outlet Store Online

It's hard to believe, but the horses, and lights at the water, were at Luminato five years ago. There was nothing like that this year, except for an art piece at Brookfield Place that was too small for it. Year One of Luminato is still the one they have to beat.

Last edited:
Jorn Weisbrodt stated during his recent interview at the Reference Library by Richard Ouzonian that a very prominent international architect is participating in the design of Pecaut Square during Luminato this year. This is good news as I found KPMB's canopy at Dundas Square a few years ago very transformative and place making for the duration of the festival.

It's hard to believe, but the horses, and lights at the water, were at Luminato five years ago. There was nothing like that this year, except for an art piece at Brookfield Place that was too small for it. Year One of Luminato is still the one they have to beat.

If there was a carbon neutral way of doing it, I would have loved it if they kept the lights permanently on the waterfront. They did keep it going for a while after Luminato was over and it was popular until they were removed. If anything it provided a great lesson that an installment that incorporates public participation in a public space can be very successful and should be something that we strive for in other spaces around the city.

Three pictures from Distillery District 1000 Tastes of Toronto, Luminato

From the article about Presidents Choice 1000 Tastes of Toronto on the Distillery District blog posted yesterday,

7170530739_ccaa0a87e4.jpg

Vodka Penne Pasta

7355749370_d2576a8ec7.jpg

Pulled Pork Sandwiches

7355746252_b56a708a03.jpg

Distillery Lane, June 9 2012

What are your three best pictures?

I went to the K'Naan concert to kick off the festival this year. It was excellent; about 2 hours long and pretty much everyone in the crowd had a terrific time. Nelly Furtado also made a surprise appearance.

I have read on Luminato's Twitter account that Pecaut Square is being is being transformed by Diller + Scorfidio for the summer festival this June.
For me the last year's Windsocks were fantastic and really added to seeing several of the very memorable outdoor concerts.
http://www.dsrny.com/

Last edited:
This is the information from Luminato's website for 2013:

6 PM / Architects Liz Diller and Charles Renfro, interviewed by Robin Pogrebin

Diller Scofidio + Renfro is a globally renowned interdisciplinary design studio whose transformation of the Luminato Hub at David Pecaut Square will serve as the Festival’s outdoor focal point. Their internationally-lauded work, which has won them the coveted MacArthur “genius” prize, includes New York City’s High Line and the redesign of the Lincoln Theatre. Partners Liz Diller and Charles Renfro will discuss how temporary and performative architecture can change the way we experience cities and the future of urban design with Robin Pogrebin, a reporter on the Times’ culture desk.

http://www.luminato.com/events/timestalks-luminato/

My wife and I will be in Toronto during Luminato (a first for both of us) -- really looking forward to it. So Mark Morris Dance Company -- any other 'must sees'? My wife has never been to the Distillery District, so we'll be hitting that area regardless. Pardon my complete ignorance, but is Luminato purely event driven and all over the map, or are there a few areas of the city that predominate (we won't have a car or tons of time). I love the DD pics above from last year's.

I'd recommend checking out the following areas.

Queen W ... if you can walk from Yonge all the way to Ossington ... do the walk in reverse order if you don't have time to check it all out as the more interesting area is around the park (less mainstream shopping).

Kensington Market is a must.

St. Lawrence market area, I'd walk to the DD ... walk across Front (though the area just around the DD isn't that built up) and back on King.

The Times Talk with Liz Diller yesterday was very interesting. The most unintentionally hilarious part was the reference to an architect who had done work in Toronto, he's done something, you know, "that guy who did the master plan for the World Trade Centre." Which I think pretty aptly sums up Liebeskind's career trajectory.

Back