News   May 08, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Looking for a picture of a building

jn_12

Member Bio
Reaction score
Apologies if there is a better spot for this but maybe someone can give me a hand as I'm looking for a photo (or even some additional info) for a specific building and haven't been able to find anything yet. I've looked on the Archives website and couldn't find anything, but I figured it's worth a shot to see if anyone here can help.

What I'm looking for is whatever pre-dated the current building at 233 King St East. This Dinetz store sits there today.

I made a visit to the Toronto Archives today to try to learn more about the property but the best I could come up with was that in the late 1920s there was a Chinese Laundromat there and that on the fire insurance maps it was a wood building with a veneer front. I've tried an image search on the Archives website but so far haven't come up with anything. I figure it's an old part of Toronto and you would think there'd be one image somewhere.

The reason for this is that over the last few months I've undertaken a bit of a genealogical project and recently discovered that in 1929, my Great Great Grandparents lived in this building (no clue why as they were both from Niagara) and at the age of 29 my GG Grandma received fatal burns from a stove explosion here. This was front page news in the papers at the time. It's interesting because not even 2 months ago no one in my family even knew she existed. Eerily, I've also discovered that she lived in an orphanage located across the street from where I lived in my university days, so I've become really interested in trying to find out more about her as we have some interesting parallels.

It's probably a long shot but if anyone can help, it'd be appreciated! Thanks!

Here's one of the general vicinity

s0372_ss0033_it0348.jpg

Back