News   May 03, 2024
 755     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 489     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 246     0 

London Tate Modern Expansion

adma: Yes, I was going to mention the anti-Carbunclists as a precursor of the anti-Spiralists, but thought I'd keep the message nice and simple for tudararms.

Despite denials, tudararms clearly sees London as superior to Toronto. Here's but one example of the "grass is greener" mentality that is at the root of the copycat, shoot-ourselves-in-the-foot, "world class" mania that bedevils us:

"London is truly a feast for the eyes and senses. It views itself as centre of the civilized world, so does Paris for that matter, and it is this supreme confidence that inspires and informs the city at all levels, private and public. Compare this attitude to the parsimonious and parochial attitude we traditionally find in Toronto where there is little sense of importance or destiny." etc.

Claiming that anti-Carbunclist and anti-Spiralist sentiments are antidotes to indifference or apathy and therefore - presumably - progressive voices to be celebrated, ignores their regressive message.

And how does pointing out that London's shrill anti-Carbunclists and anti-Spiralists have been vanquished in the popular imagination by populist-Starchitecturists work to negate the as yet undefined mystical relationship tudararms sees between London's "city" and its "people"?

Within the context of Libeskind's Spiral, parochial and parsimonious are indeed opposites to modern and contemporary, since parochial anti-Spiralist arguments so poisoned the well that public money for the project was choked off by parsimonious tendencies. Also, there was no heritage to preserve, since the Spiral was an extensionto the V&A, not a replacement for it.

I am fully aware that my home town of London has done a fine job of heritage preservation but I do not wave the magic talisman word "London" around, as tudararms does as a result of his "grass is is greener" complex, to denote something inherently superior to what we may accomplish in Toronto.

"adma: Yes, I was going to mention the anti-Carbunclists as a precursor of the anti-Spiralists, but thought I'd keep the message nice and simple for tudararms."

Are you implying I'm an idiot? Is this what passes for acceptable conduct on this forum?? I cannot even dignify the rest of whatever it is you have written.

I love it when you get flouncy like this.

Don't worry, your secret is safe with us.

Tate Modern expansion

Hi,

I just joined this chat forum. I would like to respond to the comment about the new expansion.

These buildings remind me of the same ones I saw in Montreal on the water the ones an architect did when the Expo was there. I think the name of the architect was Moshe Safdie if I remember correctly.

Back