News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 356     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 920     1 

London Rapid Transit (In-Design)

Who cares, as long as it's a go.

It will just be a trial till 2026 with very limited service but I think it will be highly successful with all the new employment down in St.Thomas with Amazon & soon VW and the service will quickly expand. There is already a demand for the many students going to Western/Fanshawe as well as people wanting to go to London for shopping/restaurants/medical appts. Right now the only way to get between the 2 cities is by taxi or Uber.

Who cares, as long as it's a go.

It will just be a trial till 2026 with very limited service but I think it will be highly successful with all the new employment down in St.Thomas with Amazon & soon VW and the service will quickly expand. There is already a demand for the many students going to Western/Fanshawe as well as people wanting to go to London for shopping/restaurants/medical appts. Right now the only way to get between the 2 cities is by taxi or Uber.
The money runs out in March 2025, so next year. The route as planned will not serve the Amazon plant, and the VW plant won't be up and running until 2027ish.

I know it is a trial but I can't, under any situation, it not being very successful even more so if there is fare integration and I think there will be a lot of political pressure aimed at QP for it because if Toronto got it then why shouldn't London? Both cities are amongst the fastest growing in the country and their economic future looks very bright with tons of new manufacturers opening up. London is "re-industrializing" and has amongst the lowest unemployment in the province.

I know it is a trial but I can't, under any situation, it not being very successful even more so if there is fare integration and I think there will be a lot of political pressure aimed at QP for it because if Toronto got it then why shouldn't London? Both cities are amongst the fastest growing in the country and their economic future looks very bright with tons of new manufacturers opening up. London is "re-industrializing" and has amongst the lowest unemployment in the province.
There is no fare integration, this service is being operated by nor LTC or St Thomas Transit.

And it depends how you define success... There will only be 4 daily round trips and other services operated by Voyago are dealing with frequent driver shortages and cancelled runs. Could easily be less successful than you think. But hopefully im wrong!

There is no fare integration, this service is being operated by nor LTC or St Thomas Transit.

And it depends how you define success... There will only be 4 daily round trips and other services operated by Voyago are dealing with frequent driver shortages and cancelled runs. Could easily be less successful than you think. But hopefully im wrong!
If the buses are full, that would be a success.

It’s being run by publicly funded Middlesex County Connect, which already runs two other routes connecting Woodstock, Ingersoll, Dorchester, and London and Lucan to London. It’s strange that it’s MCC running this, as it’s mostly outside its established service area, but at least it’s been around a few years already now.

4 daily round trips is like 1 bus going back and forth. Don't see why this is a huge deal. It can't be that big an investment.

It’s being run by publicly funded Middlesex County Connect, which already runs two other routes connecting Woodstock, Ingersoll, Dorchester, and London and Lucan to London. It’s strange that it’s MCC running this, as it’s mostly outside its established service area, but at least it’s been around a few years already now.
Uncommitted Community Transportation Grant funding was recently made available, MCC is running this route because they were able to access the funding as an existing CTG-funded service.

4 daily round trips is like 1 bus going back and forth. Don't see why this is a huge deal. It can't be that big an investment.

its-something.jpg

It's not a multi-million / billion dollar project, but it is something when there was nothing before.

Beats taking a taxi/uber or bumming a ride of friends/family/neighbours.

View attachment 549713
It's not a multi-million / billion dollar project, but it is something when there was nothing before.

Beats taking a taxi/uber or bumming a ride of friends/family/neighbours.

It's great for those folks. But I find the excitement here over it, a bit over the top. Especially when London is actually doing significant things with transit like BRT and electrification.

It's great for those folks. But I find the excitement here over it, a bit over the top. Especially when London is actually doing significant things with transit like BRT and electrification.
Connecting the outlying communities with transit is just as great as BRT. It means that those places could be one step closer to not needing a car.

I agree! It's a pretty minor local story that's really only significant for some locals. It's only loosely tied to the BRT project and may have proceeded even if BRT was cancelled... but it was posted here.

Combined London and Middlesex County have well over half a million people. And we're talking about a single bus route running 4x per day as a major accomplishment? It's hilariously ridiculous. Are expectations for transit that poor in London that y'all see this as a big win?

Back