News   May 21, 2024
 170     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 263     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 3.3K     5 

Little Houses on Richmond St West

Hmm; the same car in both shots. And I do prefer the old picket fence to the current plank fence (darn you, Home Depot)...

d5adee9c.jpg

its amazing how few changes there have been to the house on the right in the past 27 years. the most obvious thing missing from the 2010 version is that killer car: a 1970 Pontiac Bonneville or Parisienne. its amazing that the car persisted over the span of 15 years between 83-98--it looks like it wasn't even moved!

the house on the right is somewhat worse for wear, but there are very few changes visible in the last 12 years--same NO PARKING spray paint even. a new lawn is the most obvious change.

as a pair they certainly looked better before the owners decided to paint the little one white--strange, as it only accentuates how tiny it is.

00e169f1.png

The eastern portion of number 753 was lopped off in the late 40s, early 50s, giving it the tinier frontage that it has as compared to 755. This was done to provide Richmond St W access to the rear yard of the business occupying the building at 80-86 Mitchell Ave, which fills its lot and has no lanes on either side to provide access to its rear yard. The Mitchell Ave building was built in the 1940s, on the site of another pair of Robinson cottages that were demolished to make way for it, and was occupied by R Winick & Sons Ltd, woodworkers, who also show up in city directories as operating a "warehouse" out of 753 Richmond St W.

Yeah, I thought it looked chopped!

Wierd that they would do that, instead of knocking the whole thing down and doing something different... I'd love to see the inside of 753 and see how they removed the one side of the house while keeping it usable.

Thanks for those contributions, collations.

Many of us have been admiring your magnificent photostream on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/32175940@N06/

Thanks, Goldie.

A few more small houses that can be found on Richmond St W.

533 Richmond St W, [July 31], 1983. Yes, this was a house at one time ... it can be found on the Goad's fire insurance atlases as far back as the 1880 edition.

005-079-n015.jpg

689 Richmond St W, April 30, 1988. An oddity of a gothic cottage, with double windows occupying its peak instead of the usual single window or attic vent ... and with a very nice Pontiac Laurentian parked curbside.

007-110-n024.jpg

701-703 Richmond St W, April 4, 1998. Another of the surviving Robinson cottages.

009-071-n033.jpg

Thanks, Goldie.

533 Richmond St W, [July 31], 1983. Yes, this was a house at one time ... it can be found on the Goad's fire insurance atlases as far back as the 1880 edition.

005-079-n015.jpg

haven't seen that one in a while...for as far back as i can remember that had been the office of a lumber yard that sat on the corner of Richmond and Portland...i remember the odd juxtaposition of the neo-modernist house just south of the corner (one of the first of its kind built downtown--probably from 1990 or so) and the ramshackle lumberyard that abutted it....

Thanks, Goldie.

005-079-n015.jpg

haven't seen that one in a while...for as far back as i can remember that had been the office of a lumber yard that sat on the corner of Richmond and Portland...i remember the odd juxtaposition of the neo-modernist house just south of the corner (one of the first of its kind built downtown--probably from 1990 or so) and the ramshackle lumberyard that abutted it....

And that's certainly how I remember this modest structure, as I first encountered it. But it was indeed a house at one time, believe it or not. Here's a few more recent incarnations of this structure before it finally disappeared ...

009-072-n037.jpg

012-093-n016.jpg

Back