News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 616     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Liberty Village

There are plans for a GO station near the intersection of Douro & Shaw (just south of King).

See...I was right that it would be good;)

Seriously though....do you have a link to that? Any inquiries I have made about the potential for a LV GO station have not been responded to by GO.

Not sure why they wouldn't put it right above King Street though? Would link nicely with the office building right there on the south side of King and meet the street car below. Also it would provide better access (through the exhibition station on the Lakeshore line) to the "attractions" south of the tracks. Ah well....I guess my future as a transit planner is in doubt!

Last edited:
I don't know the rationale, but I'm sure it exists.

I don't have anything for you specific, but Google "go station liberty village" and you're sure to find a few mentions. I did see draft schematics somewhere, but I can't locate it at the moment. Basically it's just your typical station with an under-rail passage. This passage would also help people cross back and forth a lot.

I don't know the rationale, but I'm sure it exists.

I don't have anything for you specific, but Google "go station liberty village" and you're sure to find a few mentions.
ok...thanks.....I had actually tried that before and, doing it again, confirmed there has been nothing new on the interweb about this station since 2004....and no explanation of the location as opposed to the bridge over King that I think makes a better location....perhaps I am the only one who thought of King Street as a good spot to link GO to the city/village?

I did see draft schematics somewhere, but I can't locate it at the moment. Basically it's just your typical station with an under-rail passage. This passage would also help people cross back and forth a lot.

Another advantage that I see (but failed to mention) on the King Bridge location for a basic GO station is that the a ability to pass/walk under the tracks to the other side of the street/etc....is already built given the bridge nature of the location.

Wait, what?

The best way to get downtown (if the timing is right) is to catch the train from Exhibition.

Liberty Village already has a train station....it needs two? Why? :confused:

Man, people are lazy! :p

They are on different lines. The EX Station is on the Lakeshore Line while a new station will be on the Georgetown, Milton, and Bolten (future) lines. Riders should have the chance to disembark at Liberty Village when they are riding these lines instead of traveling all the way to Union then catching a streetcar all the way back.

The best way to get downtown (if the timing is right) is to catch the train from Exhibition.
One shouldn't have to get the "timing right" when living on the edge of downtown - there is a streetcar route right along King St, and it should be more reliable. Period.

Oh, no, I agree I was just saying, the train is the fastest and most comfortable way to get to Union from there....I think.

Ya, I know the two stations would be on different lines and it makes sense enough.....I guess I have a soft spot for Exhibition.

Oh, no, I agree I was just saying, the train is the fastest and most comfortable way to get to Union from there....I think.

Ya, I know the two stations would be on different lines and it makes sense enough.....I guess I have a soft spot for Exhibition.

A lot of people in the GTA have a soft spot for the Exhibition and all of the things that go on there!

Unfortunately, if you don't live on the Lakeshore it is not a transit viable place to visit.

Wow I'm surprised that you're all talking about a GO station (which I agree would) when the DRL would serve Liberty Village perfectly.

I do hope those parking lots get built up though. They're just big empty spaces that take away from the area completely.

Wow I'm surprised that you're all talking about a GO station (which I agree would) when the DRL would serve Liberty Village perfectly.

I do hope those parking lots get built up though. They're just big empty spaces that take away from the area completely.

A GO station would, more, serve people trying to get to the area from points west and northwest (ie. Milton and Georgetown GO lines) rather than serve the Village people themselves.

Also, it would cost considerably less (and be deliverable much more quickly) than a new subway line.

A GO station would, more, serve people trying to get to the area from points west and northwest (ie. Milton and Georgetown GO lines) rather than serve the Village people themselves.

Also, it would cost considerably less (and be deliverable much more quickly) than a new subway line.
I think that it would provide just a connection better than a GO line, but they are both needed. It's just another reason for the DRL to get built.

Apropos of nothing, really, it's good to see some of the buildings in Liberty getting fixed up so nicely. Below, for instance, is the building at 109 Atlantic in 2007 versus this year. Quite a difference, and for buildings on the Inventory, nice to see this kind of sympathetic re-use. I and others have been critical of the development of this neighbourhood, but there are some real wins here as well.

109AtlanticAve1.jpg

109AtlanticAve2.jpg

Back