News   Apr 26, 2024
 461     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 358     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 557     0 

Leaside and its Aerodrome

archaeological dig?

I think I'd like to make a documentary film of this proposed archeological "dig"
i took the following photos early in the morning on good friday, april 6 2012, to give context to the location for a possible UT meeting with Goldie and others, for the purpose of digging around for evidence of an aircraft graveyard

apologies for not posting these sooner

starting at the wicksteed level crossing of the main cp line --
wicksteed-level-crossing.jpg

proceed to walk along the east side of the building --
alongside-the-building.jpg

old infrastructure, slowly decaying in situ --
old-infrastructure.jpg

some predator had lunch here, and only feathers remain as evidence --
only-feathers.jpg

over the lip of the hillside, some refuse can be see, but nothing metal --
hillside-refuse.jpg

there's a footpath which skirts the top of the hill --
footpath-down-the-hill.jpg

proceed with caution down the hillside --
watch-your-head.jpg

the footpath leads to the cp trestle --
footpath-towards-trestle.jpg

awesome to think that this was built in 1884 --
under-the-trestle.jpg

anyhow, regarding the archaeological dig, i'd still be up for it, but i'd have to say that finding anything is a long shot

That's exactly the area I intended to explore.
Perhaps the old aircraft junkyard is now built-upon by that new building.

"Perhaps the old aircraft junkyard is now built-upon by that new building."
QUOTE Prof Goldie.

It's high time to stop fooling around with "pick & shovel"; bring in the heavy equipment!

(Too bad that the School for Operating Engineers moved out of the area years ago.)
(LOL)

Regards,
J T

i took the following photos early in the morning on good friday, april 6 2012, to give context to the location for a possible UT meeting with Goldie and others, for the purpose of digging around for evidence of an aircraft graveyard

apologies for not posting these sooner

starting at the wicksteed level crossing of the main cp line --
wicksteed-level-crossing.jpg

proceed to walk along the east side of the building --
alongside-the-building.jpg

old infrastructure, slowly decaying in situ --
old-infrastructure.jpg

some predator had lunch here, and only feathers remain as evidence --
only-feathers.jpg

over the lip of the hillside, some refuse can be see, but nothing metal --
hillside-refuse.jpg

there's a footpath which skirts the top of the hill --
footpath-down-the-hill.jpg

proceed with caution down the hillside --
watch-your-head.jpg

the footpath leads to the cp trestle --
footpath-towards-trestle.jpg

awesome to think that this was built in 1884 --
under-the-trestle.jpg

anyhow, regarding the archaeological dig, i'd still be up for it, but i'd have to say that finding anything is a long shot

Great walking tour r937,.. I would agree that finding anything would be a long shot. A metal detector search first would be useful.

yesterday, i stopped in at the leaside library to view the exhibit commemorating leaside's 100th anniversay

many, many lovely photographs and artifacts -- if you're interested in leaside history, this exhibit is a "must see"

anyhow, on one of the tables, there was displayed a large map, approx 18" x 24", hand drawn, depicting leaside from 1913 to 1934

so i took a picture of it, using my entry level point-and-shoot camera from directly above --

leaside-1913-1934-small.jpg

the above image has been reduced in size by approximately 80%, while the full size image is 3196 x 3667, 2 megs, and is available here -- http://rudy.ca/toronto/leaside-1913-1934.jpg

here's an excerpt of this map, showing the aerodrome --

leaside-1913-1934-aerodrome-small.jpg

again, thatimage has been reduced, the full size excerpt is here --http://rudy.ca/toronto/leaside-1913-1934-aerodrome.jpg

several things caught my eye --
  • eglinton avenue ends at the airfield, and laird does not meet it, but ends at mcrae
  • there is a road going down into the valley of the west don, with a "ford" across the river
  • vanderhoof and leslie street do not yet exist, although the leslie line is shown, being a concession boundary
  • there is an officer's mess near where the new "scenic" condos are nearing completion today
  • wicksteed does not extend past the munitions plant (later canada wire and cable)
  • there's nothing anywhere near the high level cp rail bridge yet
  • the "leaside creek" (now known as walmsley brook) is shown crossing mcrae and running behind the airfield hangars (where commercial street is today)

Many thanks, r937.
This is a wonderful addition to our aerodrome (Leaside) history collection.
This map also indicates that the aerodrome extended N. of Eglinton/Brentcliff - close to the present-day location of the history-plaque.

DSC01533.jpg

Leaside Aerodrome outside hangar.jpg

Leaside Aerodrome inside hangar.jpg

Attachments

• Leaside Aerodrome outside hangar.jpg
    Leaside Aerodrome outside hangar.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,052
  • Leaside Aerodrome inside hangar.jpg
    Leaside Aerodrome inside hangar.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,054
  • DSC01533.jpg
    DSC01533.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 974
Last edited:
several things caught my eye --
  • there is a road going down into the valley of the west don, with a "ford" across the river

Eglinton ford, West Don River [1912?], William James family fonds
f1244_it1266.jpg

Could this be a remnant of the old pathway to the Don River ford (Eglinton Ave. bridge on the right)?
that would be neat, eh?

my guess is it's simply an access road for the construction vehicles when the bridge was built

or an access road to the stormwater outlet -- the same one involved in that toxic spill from a buried tank a few years ago (see Fuel Spill in the Don), which, thanks to the map i found the other day, looks to have been situated near the hangars at the top of the ravine (heating oil?)

i've walked down that road, it's hellish steep

i stopped in at the leaside library to view the exhibit commemorating leaside's 100th anniversay

many, many lovely photographs and artifacts -- if you're interested in leaside history, this exhibit is a "must see"

anyhow, on one of the tables, there was displayed a large map, approx 18" x 24", hand drawn, depicting leaside from 1913 to 1934

leaside-1913-1934-small.jpg

Here's another version of that area of Leaside (aerodrome): ---------EDIT: Oops, I may have posted this earlier!

map Leaside Aerodrome.jpg

Attachments

• map Leaside Aerodrome.jpg
    map Leaside Aerodrome.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,086
Last edited:

Back