News   May 03, 2024
 684     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 309     0 

LCBO / The Beer Store

Should the LCBO be deregulated?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Do not worry TKTKTK your job is safe for now. LCBO is not getting into privatization any time soon. Maybe all business should be run only by the Government?

TKTKTK next time you are work please come back & post the price of Smirnoff and your cheapest Irish Cream then I will post a copy of a liquor store flyer from Alberta and we can see where liquor is cheaper?

Do not worry TKTKTK your job is safe for now. LCBO is not getting into privatization any time soon. Maybe all business should be run only by the Government?

If you'd read the rest of this thread, or read more of my postings, you'd know that isn't a sentiment I share. I also don't work for the LCBO, or any other government agency or corporation.

TKTKTK next time you are work please come back & post the price of Smirnoff and your cheapest Irish Cream then I will post a copy of a liquor store flyer from Alberta and we can see where liquor is cheaper?

And a sale price will prove that, on average, Albertans pay less than Ontarians for the same products? hmmm...

There are corner stores on, appropriately enough, nearly every corner. I don't believe we should have hard liquor for sale on nearly every corner. To rope cigarettes into the picture - I'm not sure I support cigarettes on every corner either.

I've worked in convenience stores before, and if you were to take cigarettes out of them most of them would go under. It's already hard enough for convenience stores to get buy now that less people are smoking and more people are buying illegal cigarettes. I'm not saying more people should smoke, but that it is becoming increasingly hard for convenience store operators to make ends meet.

That being said, I think the best (if not only) way to keep our corner stores open is to allow them to sell beer. There is absolutely no way a corner store can stay open with the very small profits they make from food and beverages. A box of chocolate bars made $2.00 profit at the store I worked at, and things like Arizona Ice Tea make the retailer a couple of cents each. Right now owners of independent convenience stores work about 12 hours, 7 days a week and can barely get by. By ending the Beer Store monopoly, you can make their lives much easier and save their businesses from the decreasing sales of tobacco products.

These people are hard working and have had to put up with a lot of crap from the government. Give them something.

I don't really mind the LCBO, but the Beer Store monopoly needs to go. Like lesouris said, I think it could be a great boost to corner stores, and it helps to encourage walking/biking to get more beer rather than driving (perhaps with a couple of beers already in you)

From the Winnipeg Free Press

Put a cork in it TKTKTK

By: Staff Writer

27/12/2008 1:47 PM

NOW that the powers of the province’s alcohol monopoly have been successfully challenged a third time, the Doer administration cannot continue to ig*nore the logic of getting government out of the busi*ness of selling booze. That the fight was waged by a handful of private wine stores — veritable Davids battling the Goliath — makes the privatization argu*ment all the more compelling.

Six wine retailers, who must purchase their stock through the Manitoba Liquor Control Commission, recently won their second challenge to the practices of that Crown agency through a ruling of a dispute*resolution panel. That panel found the MLCC’s role as a regulator, distributor and competitor caused the problems that triggered the dispute. “It is, we be*lieve, time to reconsider this relationship,†the panel of two retired judges and a lawyer wrote.

The wine stores felt the MLCC engaged in unfair practices, including an instance in which an official informed a restaurant owner the private stores had freedom to discount the price of certain wines.

The falsity of the statement underscores the stif*ling control the monopoly holds over the retailers, of which there are eight in Manitoba — six stand-alone stores and two in grocery outlets. The number of private wine retailers has remained static through the decade. Alberta has shown that hawking hooch is a surefire business proposition, except that in Manitoba the entrepreneurial spirit is suffocated.

The MLCC decides who will get a license to compete with it, and retailers can only sell wine the MLCC distributes at floor prices the commission sets. A past legal challenge, resolved in expensive out-of*court settlements the MLCC refuses to disclose, revealed that the commission enticed large buyers to deal with it, giving benefits the private stores were barred from offering. The two grocery stores selling wine also won a settlement after challenging the commission’s pricing practices.

The MLCC believes it is the government’s job to ensure uniform prices for alcohol throughout the province — odd, given it does not subsidize the price of milk in northern Manitoba.

The NDP, which fears the wrath of the powerful government employees’ union that bargains for the liquor-store workers, warns that prices would rise with privatization. But what consumers really want is convenience, something borne out by the prolif*eration of retail liquor in corner stores and grocery outlets in the United States and Europe.

Those societies recognized long ago that selling booze is not a core government function, any more than is the sale of cigarettes or blue jeans. Govern*ment’s sole interest in booze lies in regulation. It will take an administration that has faith in the market, one not hidebound by union hegemony, to admit it.

Another from the Free Press

Liquor control

2/01/2009 1:00 AM

Liquor control

IT doesn't take a genius to realize that businesses succeed when they serve their customers at a time and a place that encourages traffic and sales. There may be no good reason, for example, for a fish monger to be open for business at midnight, unless that time is convenient for his particular brand of customer. Unfortunately, this is an idea that is somewhat foreign to the state-run liquor industry in Manitoba.

Take New Year's Eve. It's got to be one of the busiest days for liquor sales, particularly for those last-minute shoppers who had already consumed their pre-Christmas inventory of good cheer. A normal business would stay open on such an evening because the opportunities for sales and profit were optimal. That's why restaurants stay open late on New Year's Eve and bring in extra staff; they want to serve their customers and pocket the rewards.

Not the liquor control industry, a government service that serves its own interests first and where ordinary business principles do not apply. It decided to lock its doors at 6 p.m. When asked about this apparent business incongruity, a spokeswoman explained that most people had probably finished their liquor shopping by 6. As well, the liquor commission's employees also wanted to enjoy the evening, which they obviously could not do if they had to serve customers, she said. It might be understandable if past history showed that keeping later hours was unprofitable because shopping tapered off after 6 p.m., but the commission has apparently never tested that theory -- it has always closed early on New Year's Eve.

The liquor commission in Manitoba has made tremendous progress in the past 30 years. It has brought its products out from behind the counter, opened many new stores in convenient locations and trained its staff well in customer service. It's time, however, for the government to phase out its stores and gradually hand over the business of selling booze to the private sector, thus ending the last vestiges of prohibition in the province. It's worked well in other jurisdictions in Canada and around the world, offering consumers a wider range of choices in terms of products and places and times that they can do their liquor shopping. There is no cost to the government in such a proposition. Indeed, it would continue to reap its tax rewards, without the risks of operating a unionized workforce. Can we all drink to that?

Put a cork in it TKTKTK

27/12/2008 1:47 PM

NOW that the powers of the province’s alcohol monopoly have been successfully challenged a third time, the Doer administration cannot continue to ig*nore the logic of getting government out of the busi*ness of selling booze. That the fight was waged by a handful of private wine stores — veritable Davids battling the Goliath — makes the privatization argu*ment all the more compelling.

Six wine retailers, who must purchase their stock through the Manitoba Liquor Control Commission, recently won their second challenge to the practices of that Crown agency through a ruling of a dispute*resolution panel. That panel found the MLCC’s role as a regulator, distributor and competitor caused the problems that triggered the dispute. “It is, we be*lieve, time to reconsider this relationship,†the panel of two retired judges and a lawyer wrote.

The wine stores felt the MLCC engaged in unfair practices, including an instance in which an official informed a restaurant owner the private stores had freedom to discount the price of certain wines.

The falsity of the statement underscores the stif*ling control the monopoly holds over the retailers, of which there are eight in Manitoba — six stand-alone stores and two in grocery outlets. The number of private wine retailers has remained static through the decade. Alberta has shown that hawking hooch is a surefire business proposition, except that in Manitoba the entrepreneurial spirit is suffocated.

The MLCC decides who will get a license to compete with it, and retailers can only sell wine the MLCC distributes at floor prices the commission sets. A past legal challenge, resolved in expensive out-of*court settlements the MLCC refuses to disclose, revealed that the commission enticed large buyers to deal with it, giving benefits the private stores were barred from offering. The two grocery stores selling wine also won a settlement after challenging the commission’s pricing practices.

The MLCC believes it is the government’s job to ensure uniform prices for alcohol throughout the province — odd, given it does not subsidize the price of milk in northern Manitoba.

The NDP, which fears the wrath of the powerful government employees’ union that bargains for the liquor-store workers, warns that prices would rise with privatization. But what consumers really want is convenience, something borne out by the prolif*eration of retail liquor in corner stores and grocery outlets in the United States and Europe.

Those societies recognized long ago that selling booze is not a core government function, any more than is the sale of cigarettes or blue jeans. Govern*ment’s sole interest in booze lies in regulation. It will take an administration that has faith in the market, one not hidebound by union hegemony, to admit it.

Alberta has the same alcohol distribution monopoly that both Ontario and Manitoba does. In Alberta's case the company that controls the monopoly is a private one. The effect, a monopoly, is the same.

That the MLCC is so dysfunctional is not really a critique of the LCBO.

When the LCBO had a store in Yorkdale, one could get off the subway, do their shopping and buy a bottle of wine before returning home on the subway. For some dumb reason, the LCBO closed their Yorkdale store and replaced it with an inconvenient big box store north of Yorkdale, on the other side of the 401, on Wilson.

It is now a special trip to the LCBO, instead of a side trip.

If Ontario could allow it, some independent store could have opened their wine or liquor store in Yorkdale. Better than doing a special trip just for a bottle of wine.

If Ontario could allow it, some independent store could have opened their wine or liquor store in Yorkdale. Better than doing a special trip just for a bottle of wine.

No, no, no. We must trust in our leaders to decide these things for us. We are really just children whom politicians and condescending, moralistic, know-nothing-know-it-alls must take care of (Take up the "i know better than you what's best for you" man's burden!). Imagine if it was easy to get booze, we might have the same drinking rate as...OHIO!

Last edited:
Free enterprise should be the backbone of a democratic society. Government control of liquor sales leads to higher profits for government, higher-paid jobs for union employees and more money for union coffers. All this leads to higher liquor prices, less selection, less locations.

Canada's Provinces and Beer/liquor sales....

Everyone: I have been to three of Canada's provinces: Ontario,Quebec and
Manitoba(Briefly-in July 1990) - I know the Ontario LCBO and Brewers Retail system and Quebec's somewhat-do they have LCB stores? I recall that beer there was sold in stores similar to NY state back on my mid 80s trips there.

How do the other provinces-including Manitoba-sell liquor and beer? The three territories also for that matter? How many have LCB or beer monopolies?
This is the appropriate place to get this question answered...LI MIKE

Last edited:
Everyone: I have been to three of Canada's provinces: Ontario,Quebec and
Manitoba(Briefly-in July 1990) - I know the Ontario LCBO and Brewers Retail system and Quebec's somewhat-do they have LCB stores? I recall that beer there was sold in stores similar to NY state back on my mid 80s trips there.

How do the other provinces-including Manitoba-sell liquor and beer? The two territories also for that matter? How many have LCB or beer monopolies?
This is the appropriate place to get this question answered...LI MIKE

All of them except for Alberta and Quebec, I believe, and both still have distribution/wholesaling monopolies.

Back