News   May 31, 2024
 3.3K     2 
News   May 31, 2024
 1K     0 

LCBO / The Beer Store

Should the LCBO be deregulated?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Okay, enough with the contrarianism and exclaiming why some idea would not, should not or could not work. You can't just whinge on without contributing. So, what's the fix to theft at the LCBO?
Consequences for shoplifting. If people walk into LCBO with a duffle bag, load it up and casually walk out, that is an indication that they know there is a fundamental breakdown of the rule of law.

Consequences for shoplifting. If people walk into LCBO with a duffle bag, load it up and casually walk out, that is an indication that they know there is a fundamental breakdown of the rule of law.
True, but the State (police/courts) are being responsive to the property owner in this case. They are not the only retailer that has a 'no intervention' policy, it's just that their product line is fairly high-value, relatively compact and easy to re-sell.

Property crime has always struggled for attention in the face of staffing and budget issues and competion from other incident categories. It wasn't until it became an absolute epidemic with thousands of private victims that auto theft got the attention it now has. The fact that many of the LCBO thefts appear to be committed by 'vulnerable' people' and the victim is a government entity likely don't encourage a crackdown.

The LCBO claiming to work in the best interests of consumers is laughable!!

Top whisky, rum and gin brands could pull products from LCBO amid pricing dispute

A major upheaval here

Retailers, including convenience stores and gas stations, will be able to start selling the low-alcohol beverages as of Sept. 4. The process for applying for a licence from the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario will open on June 17, the province says.
Similarly, grocery stores that already have licences for beer and wine will be allowed to sell ready-to-drink cocktails on Aug. 1.
All other supermarkets and grocers in the province will be able to sell beer, wine, cider and canned spirit drinks as of Oct. 31.
The LCBO will continue to be the only retailer that sells high-alcohol spirits like gin and whisky.

This moves us close to what it's like in Quebec, IIRC.

A major upheaval here

This moves us close to what it's like in Quebec, IIRC.

News Release:

From the above:

1716562879733.png

Pretty thin margins, the gov't will be selling to merchants through the LCBO at 90% of retail price. *

This is the same price currently charged to restaurants.

Not true wholesale by any means.

* this is an interim scheme til 2026, its unclear what the post 2026 pricing model will be.

News Release:

From the above:

View attachment 566380

Pretty thin margins, the gov't will be selling to merchants through the LCBO at 90% of retail price. *

This is the same price currently charged to restaurants.

Not true wholesale by any means.

* this is an interim scheme til 2026, its unclear what the post 2026 pricing model will be.

It would be even better if grocery/ corner stores were allowed to implement a bottle/can deposit system like the rest of the modern world. Why should the Beer Store be allowed to do it but no one else? I rarely ever go to the Beer Store. Most of my empties end up in the garbage along with my soda and water bottles/cans. They stores should take them back like in the US.

The question remains how many stores will actually do this and how many will properly manage it.

I highly doubt Gas Station attendants or sketchy convenience store attendants will give a s*** about who buys this stuff.

Alcohol in corner stores is pretty common throughout the world. Asia/Europe/US even Quebec, seem to have survived without looking like something out of Mad Max. I don't see why Ontario would be any different?

I’m not sure exactly what you mean by those terms, but do you think canada has more disreputable types who would like to either (a) consume alcohol at an age lower than 19; or (b) make money by selling it to those people than any other country? Hungary in particular?!?

Of this I'm aware.

When I was in Hungary I bought Vodka at Tesco.

I'm just saying that unlike in Europe and Asia there are plenty of Hoodrats, Ghetto Thots and Weasles who flaunt the rules.

May I suggest to you that the terms above are largely inappropriate.

I actually wonder if you know what some of them mean. To the extent you do, I'm concerned by your choice to use them.

It would be even better if grocery/ corner stores were allowed to implement a bottle/can deposit system like the rest of the modern world. Why should the Beer Store be allowed to do it but no one else? I rarely ever go to the Beer Store. Most of my empties end up in the garbage along with my soda and water bottles/cans. They stores should take them back like in the US.
Same. As the government allows market share to shift, I don't know what business model they expect the Beer Store to maintain. One would assume as sales go down, the number of stores will decline, becoming a greater disincentive for people to drive further to return their empties.

Same. As the government allows market share to shift, I don't know what business model they expect the Beer Store to maintain. One would assume as sales go down, the number of stores will decline, becoming a greater disincentive for people to drive further to return their empties.
Not to mention many people (especially in downtown) don't have cars. When there was a Beer Store in the Village, I could quickly drop off a bag of empties cus it was a short walk. Now I have to walk to Cabbagetown, which just isn't worth it. Maybe if I had a car it would be fine, but without one, the Beer Store already fails at the return program for a lot of people. The whole thing needs to be rethought to allow for more return locations.

Last edited:

Back