News   Mar 18, 2024
 744     0 

LCBO Moves - Rumoured and confirmed

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
LCBOs: New & Old

New (replacement) LCBOs are coming soon to Fairview Mall, and to the Don Mills Centre redevelopment.

They are also rebuidling the Manulife Centre store expanding it north to consolidate it with the previously separate Vintages store in the same mall.

re the above: About time, they are all small locations, that are badly layed out.

Now, if only they would rebuild the tiny little hole in the wall at Danforth&Broadview and do something about that barn of a store on Coxwell that hasn't been repainted since the 80's.

I also hope they replace the terrible and tiny St. Lawrence Market LCBO with something bigger and nicer. I was hoping they were going to move across the street into the old Harvey's, but TD took that space, so that idea is out.

That location is so cramped, and busy at all times. It's almost impossible to move around the aisles, which are often partially blocked by the cash lineups. And God help you if there is a person in a wheelchair in there... I feel especially sorry for them, I doubt they can even turn around.

Also, the shelf space is so limited that the selection is terrible: every time they finally stock a good beer and get me hooked, they rotate it out a month later and replace it with something crappy.

Sure, there's that giant depot at Queen's Quay and Cooper which is technically quite near, but it's not exactly a pleasant walk down there, especially when you have to pass that sad LCBO-owned park that's always strewn with empty bottles and unconscious street people.

The LCBO should also improve their computer system to eliminate phantom listings - I went to that Front and Jarvis branch a couple of months ago to restock on a few bottles of Muga and there were none, despite what the computer said. I had their manager check the stock room, and it still didn't exist.

Wash th' manajer shlurring hish wordsh? That might ekshplain ev'rythin' *hic*

The LCBO should also improve their computer system to eliminate phantom listings - I went to that Front and Jarvis branch a couple of months ago to restock on a few bottles of Muga and there were none, despite what the computer said. I had their manager check the stock room, and it still didn't exist.
Which means it was probably stolen. All retailers go through similar inventory problems.

In East End Toronto:

LCBO Eglinton Square will be relocated later this year to the plaza on the north side of Eglinton with the Walmart.

The new store will be much bigger, full-service, and open Saturday night (unlike its current incarnation).

I hear 3 other east end stores are all seriously looking at rebuild/relocations. However, not all will get funded this year.

Danforth/Broadview, the Lceeb is looking into buying the Albany Clinic lands, (as they move around the corner to Broadview).

While the old Coxwell/O'Connor site may get a new store on what is now its parking lot (with the existing ancient store being torn down to become the new parking lot).

Danforth/Victoria Park is also being studied for a move, though they may wait to see what impact the new Eglinton store has on sales before making a final decision.

If we get 2/3 or 3/4 of the above, I think that would be great as the core east end has only 1 top-of-the-line LCBO right now, which is Queen/Coxwell.

There is also the strong possibility that the LCBO on Front Street East @ Market Street will be expanded and take over the 2nd floor of the building that runs down Market Street. The owner of both buildings, Paul Oberman, applied for a Zoning Review last year and as far as I know the idea is acceptable to the City. The Market Street building, which has been vacant for a decade, would be fixed up with retail at street level and the LCBO on 2nd floor - which is, just about, on same level as the current LCBO. It is possible this arrangement would continue right to The Esplanade and mean something being built on the site of the empty ex-garage at corner of The Esplanade and Market.

There is also the strong possibility that the LCBO on Front Street East @ Market Street will be expanded and take over the 2nd floor of the building that runs down Market Street. The owner of both buildings, Paul Oberman, applied for a Zoning Review last year and as far as I know the idea is acceptable to the City. The Market Street building, which has been vacant for a decade, would be fixed up with retail at street level and the LCBO on 2nd floor - which is, just about, on same level as the current LCBO. It is possible this arrangement would continue right to The Esplanade and mean something being built on the site of the empty ex-garage at corner of The Esplanade and Market.

That would be great as the current Front St LCBO is too small.

I had seen the "For Lease" sign on the Yonge & Davisville LCBO for some time.Then I heard they were moving in the old Cheaters strip club location a few blocks north between Manor and Hillsdale. I found that hard to believe as I thought that entire block except the south corner was approved for condos/there is no parking/too close to Yonge Eglinton Centre LCBO. But sure enough Cheaters is being renovated and staff at the Davisville LCBO confirmed they will move there in February. Can't figure this one out exactly.

Attachments

• IMG_3351-1.jpg
    IMG_3351-1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 833
  • IMG_3345-1.jpg
    IMG_3345-1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 860
  • IMG_3349-1.jpg
    IMG_3349-1.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 778
I had seen the "For Lease" sign on the Yonge & Davisville LCBO for some time.Then I heard they were moving in the old Cheaters strip club location a few blocks north between Manor and Hillsdale. I found that hard to believe as I thought that entire block except the south corner was approved for condos/there is no parking/too close to Yonge Eglinton Centre LCBO. But sure enough Cheaters is being renovated and staff at the Davisville LCBO confirmed they will move there in February. Can't figure this one out exactly.

Both the Davisville and the Yonge-Eglinton Centre LCBO's are tiny. It looks like the new Davisville location might be 2 floors. If so, its a smart move, as a lot of people in the area do go down to Summerhill for a greater selection.

If not, im as lost as you are...

The Royal Bank Plaza LCBO will open Thursday November 25th (Union Station location will close).

Church st. needs an LCBO. With all the new condo's going up, Sherbourne - Wellesley would be a perfect spot... right where the Beaver gas station was. DO IT.

There's one on Yonge and another on Parliament, plus a Wine Rack at Church/Wellesley and a Beer Store just north of there. The Village is already very well served in that regard

Back