News   May 17, 2024
 2.9K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Laneway and Garden Houses (various)

Love that little red brick Roncesvalles suite, it's charming. I think the stacked boxes with asymmetrical face/randomly shaped window trend is a bit tired, so it's almost refreshing to see something a bit more "classic".
Too much black everywhere too. I like some of it, but it's way overused and just ends up looking like death.

Also I am seeing a few newer ones with basement suites for a total of three units on the laneway. I wonder who will be the first to propose a laneway house over two storeys.

Also I am seeing a few newer ones with basement suites for a total of three units on the laneway. I wonder who will be the first to propose a laneway house over two storeys.
I think we should be allowing 4-6 storey laneway apartments at least in prewar neighborhoods close to TTC stations. It's a win-win scenario for heritage and housing supply. Toronto gets to keep all the heritage housing without completely wiping out "character".

This is a pretty good example from Vancouver that I think could work on wider lots:

EIO4PUFJYFHOZPDTOWGQYGBLKA.jpg

In London, UK...it's known as Escape to the Country. In Toronto, Can...it's know as Escape to the Laneway... 🙀

You jest, but in many ways I do find out laneways to be peaceful and idyllic.

Agreed. They're often far quieter than the street facing side. Sometimes the view isn't great but then I'm rarely happy with the view from most street facing SFH housing.

Last edited:
That rendering reminds me of Pear Tree Mews in the Junction Triangle near Bloor and Symington.
Fantastic! Imagine if they tweaked the zoning to allow retaI’ll/commercial where the garages are now?!

Back