News   Apr 26, 2024
 356     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 918     1 

Land Acknowledgements and Reconciling Our Settler History

Metroscapes

Member Bio
Reaction score
Where natural and built environments collide.
Open House materials for the Sheppard Extension Project got posted the other day, and someone brought up the land acknowledgement at the beginning of the slides. Instead of derailing that thread (or frankly any others), I thought it'd be good to start a new one to consolidate the acknowledgements themselves, our settler history, continued suppresion of indigenous peoples, efforts to reconciliation, and anything else in that frame.

Sheppard LA.png

If you go to any public event these days, it's more likely than not you'll hear a land acknowledgement, somewhat like above. It's important to recognize that urban Toronto (and other aspects of development and life in southern Ontario) is built on lands that were lived on and cared for by nations of people that preceded settlers from Europe and the rest of the world. But does reciting these words and presenting these slides actually mean anything?

The CBC article I linked to above mentions making the acknowledgements meaningful. I went to a conference a couple weeks ago, where the lead MC was wearing a sealskin vest, and after briefly mentioning the traditional territories we were on, he proceeded to tell us about his adventure with a member of an arctic nation on a seal hunt, the traditional steps in preparing the seal, etc. It blew me away, I actually had not heard an acknowledgement like that before. Instead of getting blasted with these repeated, cut -and-paste statements, it was an interesting story that engaged me, one that communicated 'I went and learned traditional ways from this indigenous person, and it inspired me to double down on my reconciliation efforts. You can do it too.' It was an echelon above.

I thought I'd also mention the treaty map above. I've heard from indigenous peoples, and seen from my own research, that these maps are usually not complete / accurate / settled. Nation treaties with the Crown are sometimes unresolved and disputed. And they may not catch all the nuances between Aboriginal and treaty rights. If you want a concrete example, compare the map's representation of the Haldimand Tract with the one posted by Six Nations. And consider Six Nations are Iroquois peoples that were granted a tract of land on traditional territories of Mississaugas of the Credit (Anishinaabe peoples). It's also an interesting example because not all nations share their maps, and they see sharing maps they believe to be wrong as harmful.

Anyway, I hope to share more insights from my almost decade of personal and professional life (when it's not so late at night), but wanted to start with that as a conversation kickstarter.

My personal view is that Land Acknowledgements are now indeed part of our collective observation of nationhood and heritage, and so I expect we will always have such acknowledgements at public gatherings.

I agree that posting treaty maps is a bit divisive - unless one is willing to show a map that recognizes all the areas of dispute, one is presenting something less than fully established truth, and possibly a very partisan viewpoint. Maybe we should show only undisputed lands, or lands where the disputes have finally been settled (which are accomplishments worth celebrating).

The reference to the National Anthem is interesting. I would argue that the Land Acknowledgement (and the recognition of Indigenous Heritage) ought to be contained in the National Anthem, and it should be far more prominent than the fairly oblique references today. That way we have one unified statement/observation of nationhood, rather than an anthem and a separate land acknowledgement. How much of the National Anthem does this deserve - a couple of lines? An entire verse?

- Paul

I was born here so don't consider myself a 'settler'.
Right, but you and I are only here because of the actions of our settling ancestors. And we continue to participate in a system that keeps discriminating against indigenous peoples.

In the words of Paul Murphy, "beneficiary of a genocide."

Right, but you and I are only here because of the actions of our settling ancestors. And we continue to participate in a system that keeps discriminating against indigenous peoples.

In the words of Paul Murphy, "beneficiary of a genocide."
I'm not a 'sins of my fathers' type of guy.

If I stop voting, can I get a card that says I am not longer participating in a system that keeps discriminating against indigenous people?

I accept that our history wasn't great, but it wasn't nirvana before we showed up.

Genocide, you say? The indigenous tribes used to massacre each other pretty brutally. They've got plenty of blood, each other's usually, on their hands. So there's no unified "indigenous experience" in opposition to "settlers."

Also this "settler" term is beginning to sound pretty anti-immigrant. Doesn't the left love immigrants?

Fashionable political nonsense, every bit of it.

If you go to any public event these days, it's more likely than not you'll hear a land acknowledgement, somewhat like above. It's important to recognize that urban Toronto (and other aspects of development and life in southern Ontario) is built on lands that were lived on and cared for by nations of people that preceded settlers from Europe and the rest of the world. But does reciting these words and presenting these slides actually mean anything?
I cannot speak for all school boards but at least in YCDSB, students are expected to stand quietly while land acknowledgments are read over the PA in the mornings every day Monday-Firday. The acknowledgments were introduced last year and they were read weekly. To me, it seems very hypocritical and almost like a slap in the face to Indigenous people that we are "acknowledging" their land as if this somehow achieves anything, treating it like a second national anthem, after Trudeau's government spent half a decade fighting against Indigenous children in court

I think that land acknowledgements should be made in meaningful ways and not turn into an empty statement or line of text that is there for formal reasons but presented in a way without much thought or reflection.

I moved from Canada to Germany in 2013 and when I last lived in Canada, land acknowledgements weren't at all common. For me it is something new; nevertheless I see that for Canadians it seems largely to have lost its significance. If I may include an anecdote to illustrate my point: last year I was attending an online info-session for young people interested in working for institutions in Europe such the European Commission and European Central Bank. It was a surprisingly global event with participants who were primarily in Europe, but also some in places like India and Singapore and others from places like Kenya, South Africa, and Chile.

In was in one break-out room session in which a participant from Canada (Vancouver area) posed a question about submitting an internship application. When the moderators addressed her she stated her name and then in one big exhale gave rapidly land acknowledgement statement. It was hard for me, as a native English-speaker to understand acoustically - never mind the rest of the break out room participants. Also, as someone from Canada, who has been exposed to the names of most First Nation peoples in the country at some point, couldn't understand whose land she was referring to specifically. It seemed so disingenuous and lacking in awareness of who her audience was and in what context she was making this statement. It made zero impact because: 1) her international audience wasn't expecting nor understanding what she was saying and; 2) all she wanted to do was ask about the rules of an application. It was an insult to the intention of land acknowledgements and seemed to me like she had been subconsciously trained to repeat the same phrases and keywords to earn brownie points of some kind.

For land acknowledgements to be impactful they should be made in a way where they actually grab one's attention and spark a moment of reflection. They should not be given in a way to tick off box and in an appropriate context. If you're addressing an audience outside of Canada, please explain to them the significance of the statement being made. Who are the people being acknowledged? What is the history of the part of Canada you're referring to? Asking a question about how to submit an application to an audience who presumably knows little to nothing about Canada is, in my opinion, not the time and place to make a thoughtless, purely automated land acknowledgement. In my experience, people in Europe don't know the most basic facts about Canada and Canadian history - even in Germany the average person holds a racist understanding of indigenous peoples based purely on cartoon caricatures and stereotypes (often from old Western films) and which lacks any nuance of different nations or basic recognition that indigenous people exist today and are full human beings just as they are. Theoretically, to do a land acknowledgement "justice" requires, in this context, a proper explanation. Educating your audience, promoting awareness of the history and significance of the statement, is how it should be done.

In addition, I wish for land acknowledgement statements or the sentiment of something akin to them to be backed up by actions. You can pay lip service but is can be void and meaningless, as I illustrated above. It is nice you can recite a statement, but what are you doing to contribute to efforts for reconciliation and amelioration today?
As someone who loves languages, for example, I would love to see people wanting to learn some of the language(s) of the traditional land owners who they are acknowledging. How can their culture be promoted? How can we support First Nation economies and indigenous business? Can we put pressure on our governments to improve infrastructure in the north? Are indigenous perspectives and voices being included in our institutions and media, or are we assuming to be speaking for them by just shooting out a blank statement? I really don't want the beautiful idea of the land acknowledgement statement to turn into a sanitised gesture lacking meaning.

Last edited:
If you go to any public event these days, it's more likely than not you'll hear a land acknowledgement, somewhat like above. But does reciting these words and presenting these slides actually mean anything?
No, and it's probably the height of virtue signaling. Imagine if I entered your house uninvited and then took over the upstairs. And then every morning I came down and sat at your kitchen table and said to you, I acknowledge this is your house....but I'm not leaving and you can't have it back. If we agree that the colonialization was theft, then that's where the land acknowledgements need to land, and include restitution. And if it's not an admission of theft or conquest, then what's the point?

But how far back do you go? I'm an indigenous ethnic English, born in the UK, and can trace my ancestors back to the Domesday survey of 1086. My ancestors may well have kicked out the Celts, who may have a claim. I can likely demand restitution from the French for their Norman invasion, and the Scandinavians as well, and definitely from the Church of England for taking the family's land and executing my catholic priestly ancestor at the Tower of London - he was beatified by Pope John Paul II in the 1980s for his troubles.

No, and it's probably the height of virtue signaling. Imagine if I entered your house uninvited and then took over the upstairs. And then every morning I came down and sat at your kitchen table and said to you, I acknowledge this is your house....but I'm not leaving and you can't have it back. If we agree that the colonialization was theft, then that's where the land acknowledgements need to land, and include restitution. And if it's not an admission of theft or conquest, then what's the point?

But how far back do you go? I'm an indigenous ethnic English, born in the UK, and can trace my ancestors back to the Domesday survey of 1086. My ancestors may well have kicked out the Celts, who may have a claim. I can likely demand restitution from the French for their Norman invasion, and the Scandinavians as well, and definitely from the Church of England for taking the family's land and executing my catholic priestly ancestor at the Tower of London - he was beatified by Pope John Paul II in the 1980s for his troubles.
My parents came from Austria, which thousands of years ago was the epicentre of the Celtic "Hallstatt Culture" before being driven out and replaced by Germanic tribes - should the remaining Gaelic speaking Celts in the far reaches of Scotland, Wales and Ireland sue the Austrian government (as well as several other modern central European governments whose land they once occupied) for compensation for being displaced from their ancestral lands? Perhaps they have a solid case! 🤣

...should the remaining Gaelic speaking Celts in the far reaches of Scotland, Wales and Ireland sue the Austrian government for compensation for being displaced from their ancestral lands? Perhaps they have a solid case!
Yes. As long as your target has money and your own exposure to legal or financial costs is manageable, you always sue.

It's like the Jamaican call for reparations for slavery, https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/jamaica-plans-seek-reparations-britain-over-slavery-2021-07-12/, where they want to sue the UK, but make no moves to sue the west African nations that sold their ancestors into slavery. The Brits were the customer, the West Africans the seller who made the slave trade possible; but the former has money, the latter not.

slave_trade_1650-1860_b-www.slaveryinamerica.org_3.jpg

Last edited:
Just recently prior to the election in Poland, I believe the president proposed demanding that Germany pay over 1 trillion euros in compensation for damages done in WWII, even though everything had been settled decades ago...

Reactions: T3G
Just recently prior to the election in Poland, I believe the president proposed demanding that Germany pay over 1 trillion euros in compensation for damages done in WWII, even though everything had been settled decades ago...
Yeah, ‘cause forcing Germany to pay punishing reparations for past wrongs always turns out well for Europe.

Back