• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
B

billy corgan19982

From The Bulletin

Labyrinth grant creates a-maze-ing green space

By Areej Hasso

“All people, all seasons.â€

That is the motto for a new development underway that has been a work in progress for the last seven years and initiated by the non-profit Toronto Labyrinth Community Network (TLCN).

The group is committed to the maintenance and creation of Toronto’s first public labyrinth and has recently been provided with an Ontario Trillium Foundation grant of $100,000 to be spent over one year to help fund the redevelopment of the existing labyrinth in Trinity Square Park west of the Eaton Centre.

The project began in 2000 with the City of Toronto’s agreement to try out the idea with a simple grass labyrinth, “to see if it was an appropriate thing to have in a park,†says Joanne Stevenson, chair of the TLCN. “The idea proved itself.â€

Its success initiated the call for an improvement to the project. With support from their partners, the Church of the Holy Trinity and Toronto Parks and Recreation, the launch of the project is finally underway this spring.

TLCN aims to promote awareness of labyrinths in conveying their socio-historical significance and the spirituality they represent. Stevenson describes this as a “tool for anyone to find relaxation and peace.â€

The 5-year-old grass-hedged labyrinth will soon be replaced by a more attractive 2-tone brick and an interlock pathway. Not only will this make the labyrinth that much more aesthetically appealing but more importantly, will be wheelchair accessible and will accommodate those who read brail. This, according to Stevenson, is the aim of the redevelopment: “universal access.†It will be open all year round, replacing the grass hedges with a more resilient brick.

Mimicking the Labyrinth laid in the floor of the Chartres Cathedral in France, a 13th-century design, the 70-foot-diameter labyrinth is likely to leave a historical footprint in Toronto.

Described as an “ancient mystical tool,†the labyrinth was first conceived of in ancient times and later created in cathedrals, where monks, nuns and pilgrims used it. Labyrinths symbolize spirituality and promote a sense of unity and calm. They are not intended to confuse or challenge logic but simply to allow users to regain focus.

TLCN describes the labyrinth as “a spiritual pathway…and a symbolic journey to the centre of ourselves.â€

The official opening will be held Sept. 14 at 11 a.m. For more information on labyrinths and to locate others, visit www.labyrinth-toronto.ca.

There was one at Centre Island. Is it still there?

The thing on centre island is a maze, not labyrinth.

We have a "hidden gem" article on this labyrinth in the next spacing (out june 4). i love that there is a toronto labyrinth network.

i sort of liked it grassy though.

"The thing on centre island is a maze, not labyrinth."

What do you consider to be the difference? According to Merriam-Webster, they're synonyms.

Brian:

A labyrinth is different from a maze. A maze offers a choice of paths, dead ends and false leads, it is a puzzle the cognitive mind (left brain) loves to solve. It is possible to get lost in a maze. Walking the labyrinth involves the creative and intuitive mind, (right brain) and can be calming and unifying rather than teasing and frustrating. It is not possible to get lost in a labyrinth. The only decision needed is to enter and walk.

^ Thank you, billy - interesting.

However, Merriam-Webster ( m-w.com ) seems to suggest something different, if not the inverse...

labyrinth: a place constructed of or full of intricate passageways and blind alleys; a maze (as in a garden) formed by paths separated by high hedges

maze: a confusing intricate network of passages; something intricately or confusingly elaborate or complicated

Where did you come across the definitions you provided above? Mythology? Literature?

When Theseus slew the Minotaur the labyrinth was so confusing he had to unwind a thread as he went in so that he could find his way out again, so it wasn't a unicursal right-brained path, but a complex left-brained one with dead ends and false leads.

A english lit snob type once told me never to use Webster, only oxford - maybe he was right.

The great-big-huge print version of Merriam-Webster is better than the online one, which is less comprehensive.

I'm too right-brained to enjoy solving mazes, crossword puzzles or arithmetic. I'd rather design the challenge than solve a puzzle someone else has created.

That said, however, Archivistower's contests last summer were fun because they were tests of visual memory, which is something quite different.

Read Carol Shield's Larry's Party. Main character is a designer of those things.

I walked through Trinity Square less than 24 hours ago. It was just about the first time I've ever been there during the daytime and I did notice that it was unusually nice for Toronto. But the one thing I didn't see was a labyrinth.

The real labyrinth in that part of town is the network of exits, passages and stairwells that exist behind the walls of the Eaton Centre. Exploring there, with the consumer-crazed masses just a few metres away, can be fun.

Thanks again, billy.

The only reason I choose M-W instead of Oxford while using my computer is that those arrogant fools at Oxford insist on demanding a small fee in order to use their dictionary online. Can you believe it? What a gang of obnoxious cretins, actually expecting to be paid for their work - it's extortion, I tell you! They won't be seeing any of my non-paying 'business' any time soon, that's for damn sure.

The Webster name has been slapped on all kinds of so-called "dictionaries" over the years. Before I got my great-big-huge print Merriam-Webster about 15 years ago, I bought a "Webster" that had many glaring errors - including a reference to "Frank" Kafka! I couldn't believe how dreadful it was. It went back ( to Coles I think ) for a full refund the next day.

Back