News   May 03, 2024
 862     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 536     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 263     0 

King-Queen-Roncy Intersection/ROW

The curious anomaly here is that there is no property line distinguishing the rail corridor from The Queensway.
That's exactly the line I'm wondering about. It's all public land since I believe this is Metrolinx owned, but the City's property ends somewhere and I don't think Metrolinx would consent to a bike lane on their land.

That's exactly the line I'm wondering about. It's all public land since I believe this is Metrolinx owned, but the City's property ends somewhere and I don't think Metrolinx would consent to a bike lane on their land.

Lets have a look at the pre-construction ROW on the south side of Queensway for some clues shall we?

At Parkside:

1698087324827.png

Queesway to the left/north, rail corridor to the right/south. There's certainly space here.

Same space as above, as seen from Queensway in '23:

1698087450108.png

Just ahead, to the east, this is a Toronto Water pumping building (so between the building and the curb is the City's:

1698087538866.png

Just a smidge to the east of the building is more City property:

1698087587163.png

Further east still, we now see a clear fence between the City's land (mowed) and the rail corridor:

1698087647169.png

The fence continues well to the east:

1698087698958.png

Fence gets closer to the road as you pass the hospital lands, but you still have about 2M available:

1698087782655.png

It gets tighter still roughly opposite the Roncy Streetcar yard:

1698087862707.png

Finally, it widens again, just a bit, approaching the pedestrian bridge:

1698087936007.png

TTC restoring streetcar service to Humber Loop, improving west-end service from Sunday

October 27, 2023

Starting this Sun., Oct. 29, the TTC is restoring 501 Queen streetcar service west of Roncesvalles Ave. to Humber Loop, following completion of major infrastructure upgrades by the City of Toronto and the TTC in the King St. W., Queen St. W., Queensway, and Roncesvalles Ave. (KQQR) intersection area.

Beginning at the start of service on Sunday morning, it will be the first time since January 2021 that streetcars are operating along The Queensway, including to stops at Glendale Ave. providing direct access to St. Joseph’s Hospital.

501L Queen replacement buses will continue to operate both ways between Long Branch Loop and Humber Loop, via Lake Shore Blvd., Park Lawn Rd. and The Queensway. Customers can transfer between buses and streetcars at Humber Loop.

Additional streetcar service through to Long Branch Loop is scheduled to return on Sun., Nov. 19.

301 Queen buses will continue to operate between Long Branch Loop and Neville Park Loop in overnight periods, 7 days a week.

Additional service to Humber Bay Shores Neighbourhood

Also from Sunday, new 501M Queen replacement buses will operate both ways from Humber Loop to north Park Lawn Rd. via Lake Shore Blvd., Marine Parade Dr., Park Lawn Rd. and The Queensway, to provide additional service through the Humber Bay Shores Neighbourhood.

Customers at stops on Lake Shore Boulevard east of Park Lawn Rd. can board 501H/M Queen buses to access 501A Queen streetcars at Humber Loop, or access streetcars directly via walking through the tunnel leading to the loop.

508 Lake Shore service returns Monday

Starting Mon., Oct. 30, 508 Lake Shore streetcars will return to weekday peak-hour service, operating between Long Branch Loop and Parliament St. via King St. These streetcars will provide customers with direct downtown service to and from Humber Loop, without having to transfer vehicles.

Morning peak period trips will be scheduled to depart from Long Branch Loop approximately every 20 minutes starting at 6:40 a.m. through 8:10 a.m. Afternoon peak period trips will be scheduled to depart from King Station every 20 minutes from approximately 4:25 p.m. to 5:45 p.m.

The TTC is committed to keeping customers informed about work and events that impact service and about alternate routes. For the most up-to-date information, follow

@TTCNotices on X (formerly Twitter) or sign up for eAlerts.

I’m celebrating the ability to take the 501 to Humber Loop again.
But I have to say…. West of Roncesvalles, there are five turnouts - four into the TTC yard and the one at Sunnyside Loop. Guess how many times the operator has to stop and check the points?
Yep, five.
And since the trams don’t trigger any priority at traffic signals, it takes two stops and a wait to make each passenger stop.
And then there is the slow order into Humber Loop that didn’t get fixed in the 2017 rebuild. Plus a stop because pedestrians have become accustomed to using the row as a sidewalk.
Can we do better, TTC?
Anyways, it’s great to have the 501 back.
- Paul

I’m celebrating the ability to take the 501 to Humber Loop again.
But I have to say…. West of Roncesvalles, there are five turnouts - four into the TTC yard and the one at Sunnyside Loop. Guess how many times the operator has to stop and check the points?
Yep, five.
And since the trams don’t trigger any priority at traffic signals, it takes two stops and a wait to make each passenger stop.
And then there is the slow order into Humber Loop that didn’t get fixed in the 2017 rebuild. Plus a stop because pedestrians have become accustomed to using the row as a sidewalk.
Can we do better, TTC?
Anyways, it’s great to have the 501 back.
- Paul
I recall Steve Munro saying that the slow order into Humber loop is due to a tendency for trolley poles to dewire on the curve. IRCC he also quite presciently mused about whether it would be removed when the route reopened with full pantograph service.

I recall Steve Munro saying that the slow order into Humber loop is due to a tendency for trolley poles to dewire on the curve. IRCC he also quite presciently mused about whether it would be removed when the route reopened with full pantograph service.
I thought that was fixed as they did a new overhead support in the underpass and wires were missing to the east as well the loop. Using pans now should remove that slow order. Regardless if pedestrians use the underpass, the OS should have been fix if it wasn't back then.

Maybe before we pass on, TTC will install the correct switch to stop this BS stopping and slow going.

My operator today complied with the slow order, is all I can say.

And as a result, the 66 bus pulled away before the tram reached the platform..... just like always. It's good to be back to normal ;-)

- Paul

I had a feeling the clowns wouldnt address that slow order just east of Humber Loop. They had 3 years and they chose not to address the issue, I dont even know what to say anymore.

I remember the days it used to take just over an hour to get from Long Branch into the downtown core, those days i'm afraid are long gone with the way the TTC has screwed up streetcar operations.

I had a feeling the clowns wouldnt address that slow order just east of Humber Loop. They had 3 years and they chose not to address the issue, I dont even know what to say anymore.

I remember the days it used to take just over an hour to get from Long Branch into the downtown core, those days i'm afraid are long gone with the way the TTC has screwed up streetcar operations.
While the TTC are certainly not blameless in their service being slow and poorly managed, the problems with 'too much traffic' cannot really be held to be their fault.

While the TTC are certainly not blameless in their service being slow and poorly managed, the problems with 'too much traffic' cannot really be held to be their fault.
Oh there's no doubt there are certainly areas along the route where traffic has worsened over the years, i've taken the route frequenty over the past 20+ years to see the problem spots which didnt exist before (including: Park Lawn/Lakeshore, Queen/Bathurst, Queen/Spadina, Lakeshore/Kipling). Those areas have resulted in adding to commute times for sure we cant deny that fact, but the lengths to which to TTC has sabbotaged service through the following has taken things to another level:

- Longer then necessary running times in schedules
- Stop/proceeds
- No 2 vehicles to pass through special trackwork at the same time
- Streetcars slowing wherever here is special trackwork regardless if they are actually facing a switch
- Streetcars slowing down to 10km/h at signalized intersections

These are some photos I have of this area and more up on my site under Humber Loop
March 31, 2018
26924261627_1ef7b841ae_b.jpg

26924267667_c2698e1c25_b.jpg

March 31, 2018 Crew working on the OS
41792265531_0bf1990f78_b.jpg

I thought that was fixed as they did a new overhead support in the underpass and wires were missing to the east as well the loop. Using pans now should remove that slow order. Regardless if pedestrians use the underpass, the OS should have been fix if it wasn't back then.

Maybe before we pass on, TTC will install the correct switch to stop this BS stopping and slow going.
The slow order to which I was referring was the one on the banked curves to the east of the underpass. It's back around here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/79bpkkzP5bfGg6QTA

Back