1.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 318     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 874     0 

John Tory says we need subways to Pickering

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't find any media account saying that Tory specifically proposed a subway to Pickering. I didn't expect to of course, which begs the question: what's the point this thread?

Actually, I think the biggest transit story of the day was this:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/07/28/ttc_puts_distancebased_fares_in_nogo_zone.html
The tweet is from a star reporter. You didn't try. And the TTC was never going back to distance based fares, it's politically unpopular.

I watched the debate very closely and I remember this part very well.

John Tory was expressing his frustration that we haven't been building at least one subway station every year for the past 10, 15, 20, 25 years (he exactly said that range of dates). Then he said if we did that we WOULD have the subway all the way to Pickering by now.

He did NOT explicitly say we SHOULD have a subway to Pickering. There is a difference and the Star reporter should know this.

Saying "all the way to Pickering" was his way of saying if we followed this strategy, which is pursued in many other cities, we would have a lot more subway, with Pickering as an example of "far away" / outside of Toronto.

Admittedly he probably should have said if we continuously built we would have much more in terms of *kilometers* of subway, which could include the BD and Yonge north extension, and the RL.

Never once has he campaigned on building a subway to Pickering. Did the Chow campaign start this?

Last edited:
I watched the debate very closely and I remember this part very well.

John Tory was expressing his frustration that we haven't been building at least one subway station every year for the past 10, 15, 20, 25 years (he exactly said that range of dates). Then he said if we did that we WOULD have the subway all the way to Pickering by now.

He did NOT explicitly say we SHOULD have a subway to Pickering. There is a difference and the Star reporter should know this.

Saying "all the way to Pickering" was his way of saying if we followed this strategy, which is pursued in many other cities, we would have a lot more subway, with Pickering as an example of "far away" / outside of Toronto.

Admittedly he probably should have said if we continuously built we would have much more in terms of *kilometers* of subway, which could include the BD and Yonge north extension, and the RL.

Never once has he campaigned on building a subway to Pickering. Did the Chow campaign start this?

Yes, thank you for beating me and posting this clarification before the thread went crazy. The entirety of his point that if we'd kept building constantly we could have subways going all over the place instead of fighting about which little stub to build next. And the entirety of his quote was something along the lines of "and if we'd done that we'd have subways out to Scarborough and maybe out to Pickering for all I know." It was a perfectly valid point and I'm not sure why someone would try to spin it into Tory living in fantasyland.

His transit plan may be flawed (whose isn't?) but at least has some sense of Toronto's existence in a larger region, which is more than I can say for most of the other candidates.

Came to post the above. If you actually listen to what he says, he's basically implying that if we had actually focused on subway expansion dating back all those years, we would've had a subway all the way to Pickering by now. It was more of an exclamation than a declaration that we should be building subways to Pickering. Whoever initiated that tweet was obviously distorting the statement and misleading the public.

If we had focused on subway expansion, we almost certainly would not have had subways to Pickering today. There are a hundred or so places better suited for a subway.

If we had focused on subway expansion, we almost certainly would not have had subways to Pickering today. There are a hundred or so places better suited for a subway.

You're missing the point. The point is that our subway lines could have been a lot longer by now (regardless of direction). Pickering was used as a measure of distance, not actually a desired destination.

But his framework for the better system that might have been built is one that carries commuters to downtown from further and further away. Little sign that he'd work to build a more intensive at the core, better networked system that would serve many different destinations (within the city).

We all knew this quote was misleading. Also no offence Den, but I don't think it deserved it's own thread either. We already have one for municipal elections & transit.

We all knew this quote was misleading. Also no offence Den, but I don't think it deserved it's own thread either. We already have one for municipal elections & transit.
It's probably a bait. Look at all those responses to it.

Agreed. There are plenty of other threads for this discussion.

And since Tory was misquoted, there's no further need for this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back