News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 555     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Isabella/Huntley block (Rogers land assembly)

Maybe tear the down the HQ + additional buildings.. build a new (baseball) stadium, then tear down the skydome and build a new HQ on those lands. :) Although I dunno how large the land is..

The current Rogers Building is one of my favorites in Toronto. It's so haunting at night, I love it. That would be terrible if lost.

I've always considered the Rogers Building an enigmatic entity. It has a dominating and uncompromising presence on the area. The piercing crown places a finishing touch on what is quintessentially symbolic of Rogers' evil empire. ;)

Last edited:
With the shift towards working downtown, maybe Rogers will move its Brampton campus employees downtown?

I suspect they will build another tower on the site that will connect with the existing Rogers buildings. Now that Couture and X/X2 are all either built or being built, the height restrictions they might have faced for an office tower should be lessened.

I suspect they will build another tower on the site that will connect with the existing Rogers buildings. Now that Couture and X/X2 are all either built or being built, the height restrictions they might have faced for an office tower should be lessened.

I think a shorter long office building could work.

Really hoping this is the case ! As opposed to selling.

I really don't know how this thread turned into a discussion of some supposed fate of the existing building. I thought it was pretty clear it was about those remaining houses along Huntley and Isabella (and incidentally, even going back to Confederation Life's long-term-planning-in-vain, were they *always* slated to be replaced in the name of "completing the block"?)

With the shift towards working downtown, maybe Rogers will move its Brampton campus employees downtown?

Doubt it. The Brampton campus is huge - remember it was the former world headquarters of Northern Telecom (Nortel), and before that, regional offices and a major switching equipment plant. The rumours are that the Nortel plant site is contaminated from its years as a manufacturing facility and would cost a fortune to clean up and impossible to sell otherwise - otherwise why would a 1990s high-flyer like Nortel decide to have world headquarters in an old factory in Brampton?

Another puzzling choice for Nortel was when they made their headquarters that unremarkable office tower complex at Dundas and the West Mall (by highway 427) in Etobicoke. Then again, RIM doesn't look like it has an remarkable building, either.

Another puzzling choice for Nortel was when they made their headquarters that unremarkable office tower complex at Dundas and the West Mall (by highway 427) in Etobicoke. Then again, RIM doesn't look like it has an remarkable building, either.

Not sure why that's puzzling, large most tech companies are not based in the center of cities

Not sure why that's puzzling, large most tech companies are not based in the center of cities

This is just idle speculation - but they be looking to get rid of the 1 building they have on the north side of Bloor street (its a 1970's concrete building) - just east of the Mt Pleasant on ramp. Overlooking the ravine and Rosedale - it could VERY easily be sold for condo and land south of Bloor along huntley may be cheaper. Just a thought.

This is just idle speculation - but they be looking to get rid of the 1 building they have on the north side of Bloor street (its a 1970's concrete building) - just east of the Mt Pleasant on ramp. Overlooking the ravine and Rosedale - it could VERY easily be sold for condo and land south of Bloor along huntley may be cheaper. Just a thought.

That's actually Parkin's c1970 Shaw & Begg building, a bit of an unsung Concrete Toronto-worthy landmark.

Though wasn't that their HQ "on the way down", so to speak? As such, it may be more like Sir Henry Pellatt living his last years in some dumpy servant's house in Mimico, or whatever it was...

Back