News   Jun 18, 2024
 206     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 491     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

By "everyone", you mean "people who pay with cash". The same as it is for Presto systems.
No I meant everyone even if they did use a fare card. I think someone posted the RFP earlier in the thread and it explicitly said they wanted machine readable paper tickets to be printed. The TTC is planing to eliminate all forms of tickets tokens and transfers except for one time use RFID equipped paper tickets and have everything be on presto.

No I meant everyone even if they did use a fare card. I think someone posted the RFP earlier in the thread and it explicitly said they wanted machine readable paper tickets to be printed. The TTC is planing to eliminate all forms of tickets tokens and transfers except for one time use RFID equipped paper tickets and have everything be on presto.

Yes, they want a machine capable of printing machine readable transfers.
People using the EasyGO card will not get a paper printout.

From GRT
10. How do transfers work?
Transfers will be built right into your EasyGO Fare Card. Once you tap your card on the fare box it will automatically provide you with a 90 minute window to transfer to your next bus or to ION. However, if you pay for your fare with cash, you will need to push the button on the farebox to get a paper transfer after inserting your coins.

Mark your calender to do train watching Feb 15, as that is the day the first car is to arrive at the yard. Can't tell you if it day or night delivery. A day delivery would catch people eyes, that will become big and start the conversation that trains will be running next spring.

Stop off on my way home and surprised to see incomplete work that was to be done by the year end. This project will be lucky to be complete by June.

In fact, they are enclosing all of Fairview station to complete it in a heated area.

More to come with photos

In fact, they are enclosing all of Fairview station to complete it in a heated area.

They did that with many areas last winter - along Caroline, through downtown, the dome built across the grade separation. Nothing new.

Just to clarify, is this the LRV coming from Thunder Bay or Millhaven?

Mark your calender to do train watching Feb 15, as that is the day the first car is to arrive at the yard. Can't tell you if it day or night delivery. A day delivery would catch people eyes, that will become big and start the conversation that trains will be running next spring.

Stop off on my way home and surprised to see incomplete work that was to be done by the year end. This project will be lucky to be complete by June.

More to come with photos

Just to clarify, is this the LRV coming from Thunder Bay or Millhaven?
There have been photos of them assembling one in Thunder Bay, so presumably it's coming from there. Though most will come from Millhaven.

I'm surprised they aren't shipping it first from Thunder Bay to Millhaven for testing, like they did with the first Eglinton line car.

There have been photos of them assembling one in Thunder Bay, so presumably it's coming from there. Though most will come from Millhaven.

I'm surprised they aren't shipping it first from Thunder Bay to Millhaven for testing, like they did with the first Eglinton line car.
that wasn't an eglinton line car that was completed it was one of metrolink's two that they are using for something of their own probably to try and sell them to other cites in Ontario

All the discussion in the Metrolinx LRV thread back when they shipped to Kingston, and media articles such as http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/test-car-bombardier-1.3870480 said it was the prototype for Metrolinx.

Do you know something we don't?
I thought that had been mentioned somewhere in the third that the first two vehicles being built were for Metrolink to use for testing. I just figured they would alois use them for promotional purposes as well. I don't think we are ;ily too see Bombardier starting work on the Crosstown ones until at least 2019 as the line won't open until 2021.

I thought that had been mentioned somewhere in the third that the first two vehicles being built were for Metrolink to use for testing. I just figured they would alois use them for promotional purposes as well. I don't think we are ;ily too see Bombardier starting work on the Crosstown ones until at least 2019 as the line won't open until 2021.
They want them for testing. Given that Metrolinx has moved to cancel the Bombardier contract, because Bombardier is already late on delivery, then surely Bombardier wouldn't be waiting another 2 years to deliver the first unit!

To the contrary, all of the ION cars will be built at Thunder Bay. With the exception of the first 2, all of the Metrolinx cars will be built at Millhaven.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

To the contrary, all of the ION cars will be built at Thunder Bay. With the exception of the first 2, all of the Metrolinx cars will be built at Millhaven.
That's unfortunate, I'd have hoped they'd have moved them all to Millhaven to accelerate the TTC production.

So all of TTC and ION at Thunder Bay, and all of Edmonton and most of Metrolinx at Millhaven?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Last I heard, only 1 or 2 ION vehicles will be manufactured in Thunder Bay.
The rest will be Kingston.

Here's a tweet that shows an in-production ION vehicle (note the colour scheme) in Kingston:
https://twitter.com/yegvalleyLRT/status/824356281020456960
C3CzpJkUYAAAtUm.jpg

Attachments

• C3CzpJkUYAAAtUm.jpg
    C3CzpJkUYAAAtUm.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 446
Here's a tweet that shows an in-production ION vehicle (note the colour scheme) in Kingston:
https://twitter.com/yegvalleyLRT/status/824356281020456960
View attachment 97728

That looks more like the mock-up than an actual vehicle to me.

And now that I go back and re-read the messages, I am mistaken. 3 Flexity Freedoms will be built in Thunder Bay - the 2 for Metrolinx and 1 for Ion. The cab modules for the remainder of the Ion vehicles will be produced and assembled at Thunder Bay before being shipped to Millhaven for final assembly.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back