News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 427     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Innovation/Automation in Retail

At a Walmart recently i complained about how few self checkouts were open. The reason? Theft! Might as well just get rid of them at this point if they aren't going to use the machines.. Put cashiers back in place. :rolleyes: I went to a cashier, it was so much faster.

Why several big-box stores have ditched their self-checkouts​

Some Canadian Tires, Walmarts and a U.K. grocery chain have bid goodbye to machines​

At a Walmart recently i complained about how few self checkouts were open. The reason? Theft! Might as well just get rid of them at this point if they aren't going to use the machines.. Put cashiers back in place. :rolleyes: I went to a cashier, it was so much faster.

Why several big-box stores have ditched their self-checkouts​

Some Canadian Tires, Walmarts and a U.K. grocery chain have bid goodbye to machines​

I've noticed a lot of broken machines lately, especially at Shoppers and Metro, which is particularly problematic when there are no cashier checkouts open.

Nearly a third of Gen-Zers steal from self-checkout aisles, survey shows

Roughly one in three young shoppers in the U.S. has admitted to giving themselves five-finger discounts at self-checkout counters, a new survey shows.

According to loan marketplace LendingTree, 31% of Gen-Z consumers have stolen items from self-checkout kiosks, compared to 15% of consumers of any age. Those figures come as businesses work to combat shoplifting, which some retailers have blamed for hurting their financial performance and even for store closures.

"Ultimately, retailers need to decide whether the self-checkout terminals are worth the risk," LendingTree chief credit analyst Matt Schulz said in a statement. "That's a question lots of retailers are likely wrestling with."

LendingTree based its findings on a survey of 2,000 U.S. consumers between the ages of 18 and 77.

Although some respondents to the poll said they regretted having sticky fingers, 44% planned to continue stealing from self-checkout kiosks, while 37% said they would do so to save money on groceries or health care goods, according to the survey. Of those who had stolen at kiosks, only a third said they had ever been caught, the data shows.

Back