News   May 24, 2024
 3.7K     2 
News   May 24, 2024
 793     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 375     0 

Immigration App Rejected

Darren, correct me if I am wrong but you have an associate degree right? Would that not cost you points? That'd only be equivalent to a 2 year Community College diploma here. If that's the case, I don't think going back to school would be such a bad idea, both for your immigration case and for your future. And what is your field of employment btw?

You are exactly right. Harper and his team are causing so much trouble with the immigration process. When we applied we got our AOR (Acknowledgement of Receipt) in 30 days. Those coming after us tell me it's taking 6 months or more to get it, the AOR is simply a case number saying you iare in que.

The backlog is getting worse daily and the Tories have sped up the process only for a select group, the 38 categories you mentioned. I can't wait until they are thrown out, hopefully this spring. Maybe when we have good leadership again then you will be welcomed with open arms.

Yes, damn that government for trying to improve the immigration system and fast-tracking the skilled migrants we need. While I sympathize that Brandon has suffered as a result of a policy change, I would challenge you to explain to me why the Conservative immigration policy is soooo bad? I happened to think that giving students who study in Canada permanent residency after studying and work here to be a great idea. Or bringing in temporary workers to help employers fill a labour shortage? Darren's situation is unfortunate because he has been caught in a changeover. But that does not mean that the changes are bad. If you want to critique the change in policy, the onus is on you to show how it is worse compared to the old system.

As for the backlog, that has nothing to do with Tory policy. That existed under the Liberals and was far worse under the Liberals for many countries. For example, the backlog has at least stabilized in India under the Conservatives. I had family members who have suffered under the backlog. The change in policy came because of the backlog. Canada does compete for skilled immigrants with places like the US, UK, Australia and New Zealand. The backlog was getting so bad that skilled workers were simply giving up and moving elsewhere. I know because I had family members who did just that. I really can't see what was so wrong about prioritizing skilled workers. Immigration is not a right it's a privilege. The country has to bring those who will benefit it. That's the purpose of an immigration policy.

Last edited:
Yes, damn that government for trying to improve the immigration system and fast-tracking the skilled migrants we need. While I sympathize that Brandon has suffered as a result of a policy change, I would challenge you to explain to me why the Conservative immigration policy is soooo bad? I happened to think that giving students who study in Canada permanent residency after studying and work here to be a great idea. Or bringing in temporary workers to help employers fill a labour shortage? Darren's situation is unfortunate because he has been caught in a changeover. But that does not mean that the changes are bad. If you want to critique the change in policy, the onus is on you to show how it is worse compared to the old system.

As for the backlog, that has nothing to do with Tory policy. That existed under the Liberals and was far worse under the Liberals for many countries. For example, the backlog has at least stabilized in India under the Conservatives. I had family members who have suffered under the backlog. The change in policy came because of the backlog. Canada does compete for skilled immigrants with places like the US, UK, Australia and New Zealand. The backlog was getting so bad that skilled workers were simply giving up and moving elsewhere. I know because I had family members who did just that. I really can't see what was so wrong about prioritizing skilled workers. Immigration is not a right it's a privilege. The country has to bring those who will benefit it. That's the purpose of an immigration policy.

As usual you have no idea what you are talking about. I work with dozens of couples in the process and read about hundreds more from online tracking and it has slowed considerably since Harper and his cronies decided to pick the chosen few.

As usual you have no idea what you are talking about. I work with dozens of couples in the process and read about hundreds more from online tracking and it has slowed considerably since Harper and his cronies decided to pick the chosen few.

And as usual your evidence is anecdotal. I know of several professionals who applied and were in Canada in 6 months because they got fast tracked. My parents have taken in 2 students who have received plenty of help from Immigration Canada sorting out what needs to be done so they can get residency after they finish studying. They don't seem to have any complaints with the system. So what's your point? That you seem to know lots of couples who lack credentials does not mean that our country's immigration policies are flawed.

In other words, what you are saying is that people from non-English and French countries are stupid and can't contribute to Canadian society.

No, that is not what I meant at all. I worded it wrongly. It's already been said by Filip and Brandon, so I won't bother to just repeat what they've said.

Harper's government is only letting people in under their preferred rules, and its the most radical change to Canadian immigration policy since its inception.
Well that's what we get for putting those facists in power. I'm tired of the Liberals continuing to prop the fuddle-duddlers up.

Harper's government is only letting people in under their preferred rules, and its the most radical change to Canadian immigration policy since its inception.

I'd suggest a quick review of Canada's immigration history. The changes brought in by the Harper government are hardly the most radical (or even radical for that matter).

As kEiThZ noted, there was a considerable backlog while the Liberals were in power. I've also known of unfortunate situations where skilled people gave up on immigrating to Canada - during Liberal government.

After writing out two long responses, I figured some things are better left unsaid.

Forget politics, forget everything. Everyone should be thankful for what they have and continue to strive to become better.

My way of enriching myself is different from others, and my belief system is only my own belief system. I don't think I can entirely give up on moving someday, but right now I just have to deal with the fact that I can't have what isn't mine.

At least I keep telling myself that... Hopefully someday I can figure out where my life is headed.

It's sad to hear that someone who actually wants to contribute to this country has been refused citizenship, especially considering the huge number of new (and existing) residents who refuse to learn one of our official languages, mooch off the system, choose not to work, and really end up being more of a burden than anything else.

It really bothers me how a government can tell someone where they can and cannot live. If two countries have achieved the same level of development, similar GDP per capita, similar levels of education and healthcare, I see absolutely no reason why citizens can't move unimpeded between the two countries.

It's sad to hear that someone who actually wants to contribute to this country has been refused citizenship, especially considering the huge number of new (and existing) residents who refuse to learn one of our official languages, mooch off the system, choose not to work, and really end up being more of a burden than anything else.
I'm not saying this is never the case, but is this not a falsehood that's been proven wrong many times over? Actually one that seems to rear its ugly head every time the economy goes south.

Not half as much a burden as the bigots who were born here!

brandon, hope you laugh.

It really bothers me how a government can tell someone where they can and cannot live. If two countries have achieved the same level of development, similar GDP per capita, similar levels of education and healthcare, I see absolutely no reason why citizens can't move unimpeded between the two countries.

it's like a woman that plays hard to get so you want her more. maybe they're scared that if they make it too easy to come in, people will lose interest, call our country a slut and go look for a tighter nation. canada literally has to be courted for years before she puts out and sometimes even then, things don't work out and she sends you a dear john letter like brandon got. the least she could do is reward the guy with some temporary access to her body. but no, she's too pure for that 'cause momma didn't raise her that way. her mother brittany, raised her in a strict conservative anglican household. she may have been promiscuous in the late 60's and 70's but that was just a rebellious phase she was going through.

Aw the reason our taxes are so high is, er, mooching immigrants!

simpsonquimby_250.jpg

Dude, so sorry about the application. As if there's still lots of jobs available at the moment for Alberta tar sand workers either these days.

Last edited:
Not half as much a burden as the bigots who were born here!

Firstly, it is quite clear that my previous response was not directed toward immigrants or visible minorities. Rather, it was directed toward anyone (new to this country or long time resident) that takes more than they put in.

Secondly, please help me understand why my belief that all citizens (new and existing) should be productive members of society makes me or anyone else with this view a bigot.

Like the other 99% of people who call Canada home, my family immigrated here! Being of non white anglo-saxon protestant decent in the 1950s, the road to prosperity was particularly difficult for my grandparents. I couldn't care less what someone does with their life or whether they work or not, regardless of their ancestry or ethnicity. It's the able bodied people that don't even try to succeed, that my very hard earned tax dollars have to support, that bug me.

Back