News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 317     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 870     0 

If you could purchase a property anywhere in Toronto...

Perhaps the most outrageous statement I've seen this year.

:D I certainly understand both sides of the argument with regards to Yonge & Sheppard but to instigate more conversation, since andrewpmk explained why he chose Yonge & Sheppard, please share your thoughts with us as to why this would seem to be the last place you'd choose.

:D I certainly understand both sides of the argument with regards to Yonge & Sheppard but to instigate more conversation, since andrewpmk explained why he chose Yonge & Sheppard, please share your thoughts with us as to why this would seem to be the last place you'd choose.

It's equivalent to saying that you love exotic sports cars and if you had unlimited money you would buy a jazzed up Honda Civic. Nothing against the Civic of course, and personally i could care less about cars, but comparing it to say a Porsche 911 would just be absurd.

I don't think there's a single aspect of Yonge and Sheppard that makes it in any way superior to any part of the city, save for the 1.5 subway lines.

Major Categories I consider in terms of location

1. Close to a public park/body of water(lake ontario)/running/biking trails
2. Walking distance to bars/restaurants/street shops/ food stores
3. close to public transportation - convient to downtown (work reasons)
4. Close to major driving arterials - for when you want to get out of the city, or visit the Rent's out of town.

If money wasn't an issue, I would consider the large Victorians on Crawford (sout of dundas), Parkside/Highpark area, or North Riverdale.

St. Lawrence market eastward to corktown. I like the potential ROI in this spot.

There's definitely going to be some major development in that area so from an ROI perspective, I can't disagree with you at all. I can only imagine this will increase property values of the Mill Street condos across from the Distillery District which has seen steady but not significant increases over the years despite the growth and development in the area.

Toronto Life - Where To Buy: The Inside Scoop On The City's Next 10 Neighborhoods

An interesting article in Toronto Life a couple weeks ago entitled Where To Buy Now: The Inside Scoop On The City's Next 10 Neighborhoods.

Link: http://www.torontolife.com/daily/in..._source=Newsletters&utm_term=Where+to+Buy+Now

In summary, the top 10 list, in no particular order:
  1. Mimico
  2. East End Danforth
  3. Christie Pits
  4. St. Lawrence
  5. L'Amoreaux
  6. Blake-Jones
  7. Davisville Village
  8. Corktown
  9. Wallace-Emerson
  10. Brockton Village

It's equivalent to saying that you love exotic sports cars and if you had unlimited money you would buy a jazzed up Honda Civic. Nothing against the Civic of course, and personally i could care less about cars, but comparing it to say a Porsche 911 would just be absurd.

I don't think there's a single aspect of Yonge and Sheppard that makes it in any way superior to any part of the city, save for the 1.5 subway lines.

Had to register just to respond to this. Felt like it was my duty as a resident of the neighbourhood for over 15 years to point out the positives.

The Porsche vs Civic comparison is silly. There are many $1 million+ homes in the area because it has its positives like all the other areas mentioned in the thread so far. It doesn't have old money or history like many of the more urban neighbourhoods, that I'll give you, but hardly does it make it a "civic".

I too would choose Yonge and Sheppard. Lots of food nearby, public square, central library. The convenience by car is worth it. 401, 404, DVP, Allen, can get anywhere in TO and the GTA conveniently. Downtown core in 20 minutes via DVP or Yonge in off hours. 5 shopping malls (Promenade, Yorkdale, Bayview Village, Fairview and Scarborough Town) in the same time. Not to mention all the restaurants on Yonge.

It's a 30 minute subway ride from NYCC station to St. Andrews for me to get to work.

Ravine just on the west side of Yonge, with lots of green space. The only thing missing is the urban gentrification and proximity to the lake. But even the lake is only 20 minutes away.

Perhaps the one "negative" is that many don't get it, but that's fine with me. :)

An interesting article in Toronto Life a couple weeks ago entitled Where To Buy Now: The Inside Scoop On The City's Next 10 Neighborhoods.

Link: http://www.torontolife.com/daily/in..._source=Newsletters&utm_term=Where+to+Buy+Now

In summary, the top 10 list, in no particular order:
  1. Mimico
  2. East End Danforth
  3. Christie Pits
  4. St. Lawrence
  5. L'Amoreaux
  6. Blake-Jones
  7. Davisville Village
  8. Corktown
  9. Wallace-Emerson
  10. Brockton Village

I love the St. Lawrence area and would live/buy investments there in a heartbeat.

Oh how I wish I had a full time job when units in the Berczy were available.

I looked for a condo for my mom in the Yonge & Sheppard area. Not my favourite, but nice nonetheless.

North of Kingston Road the neighbourhood becomes sketchy very rapidly though.
True, one of the drawbacks is that north of Kingston it's not so nice, which means the shopping along Kingston often isn't very good. Definitely improving though, I guess as Torontonians migrate east, in search of bigger lots and homes with decent pricing.

Lawrence Park is one of THE richest neighbourhoods in Toronto, near Yonge line, 401 and DVP. The Bluffs is conveniently located near such crappy neighbourhoods as Kennedy & Eglinton, Wexford, Dawes Road, the Golden Mile, etc.
Since you mentioned it, I decided to map this out. Kennedy & Eglinton is 4.6 km away away from my house. Not far, but not exactly super close either. According to Google, at 4.2 km, I am closer to Victoria Park and Kingston Road (which is the The Beach) than I am to Kennedy & Eglinton.

The commute downtown would go along that road - Kingston Road to Lakeshore, or else Eastern Ave., or else Dundas, or else Gerrard. Sometimes even Queen.

It really is. The entire area from the Bluffs to Guildwood is largely ignored, I mean, how many people even know about the beautiful homes that exist on Hill Crescent?
Very nice area, but it was too far from the core for my liking. I'd guess it adds about 15 minutes to the commute time. 30 minutes was my rough cut off to downtown, but Guildwood would be more like 45 minutes when there's significant traffic.

Last edited:
True, one of the drawbacks is that north of Kingston it's not so nice, which means the shopping along Kingston often isn't very good. Definitely improving though, I guess as Torontonians migrate east, in search of bigger lots and homes with decent pricing.

...Which is unfortunate because most of the neighborhoods south of Kingston Road, going east from the downtown core are actually quite nice. Their property values are increasing but not nearly at the rate that it would if they were situated elsewhere.

Very nice area, but it was too far from the core for my liking. I'd guess it adds about 15 minutes to the commute time. 30 minutes was my rough cut off to downtown, but Guildwood would be more like 45 minutes when there's significant traffic.

...And I think this is both a blessing and a curse for those living in those areas. Without a major throughfare (unless you count Kingston Road, that is) like a highway running through neighborhoods like the Bluffs, south Scarborough Village, Guildwood, etc. it makes the neighborhoods very quaint and serene. The downside, of course, is that commuting west-east forces you to either take local roads or hop up all the way up to the 401 first.

Areas I've always liked ... Corktown, especially :cool:

Do you happen to live in Corktown? :p

Yes it is definitely an area with huge potential. Proximity to downtown, to the DVP, to the Gardiner, St. Lawrence Market, the Distillery...Being down closer to King Street also makes it a very quiet and calm trek into the downtown core on off-business hours (versus Dundas, for example, which is typically busier at all times).

Places like 'Corktown' will be the first hit in a slowdown. They are not neighborhoods in themselves but almost the equivalent of Cityplaces where planners hope for the areas around the condos will gentrify. Might happen, but not too quickly.

Stick to places like Yonge & Eglinton, Yonge and Bloor/Yorkville, the Annex, perhaps High Park even, where existing infrastructure and amenities already exist. Those are your safest bets.

Bayview Village for example, seems very undervalued to me.

There's definitely going to be some major development in that area so from an ROI perspective, I can't disagree with you at all. I can only imagine this will increase property values of the Mill Street condos across from the Distillery District which has seen steady but not significant increases over the years despite the growth and development in the area.

The Distillery area is too isolated. There's nothing close by and the area itself, while sort of authentic, offers little real amenity.

Back