News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 502     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

If Toronto had "London" or "Montreal" type boroughs

I think the trick to right-sizing municipal governance is to get the most efficient size (population and area) for the programs and services to be provided. Some things operate best on a local level, others on a large regional level and still others someplace in between. The problem with the current amalgamated Toronto is its too big to provide fidelity on local issues and too small to work at a regional level. It may be the least efficient size possible. At the same time the Regional governments in York, Peel and Durham do pretty much dick-all because they are too big for the small population base.

The Golden Report recommended keeping all the then existing local municipalities and combining all the regional governments (Metro, Peel, York and Durham) into one super-regional government. That would allow local government to deal with local issues (e.g. local planning, maintaining local streets, neighbourhood improvement); and the regional government to deal with regional issues (e.g. regional planning, police & fire services, transit, school boards etc.).

I'm probably being somewhat naive, but in the same thread as howl was suggesting, I think there can be a bit of a technocratic solution. Once you determine what the roles of these borough councils are, it should be possible to determine an optimal population range for providing those services or making those decisions.

So much time at city council is spent debating issues of extremely local nature, I think a borough system would actually make a lot of sense.

I'm probably being somewhat naive, but in the same thread as howl was suggesting, I think there can be a bit of a technocratic solution. Once you determine what the roles of these borough councils are, it should be possible to determine an optimal population range for providing those services or making those decisions.

So much time at city council is spent debating issues of extremely local nature, I think a borough system would actually make a lot of sense.

That is why there are four Community Councils, to care of the encroachments, the fence exemptions, the parking issues, etc
(Scarborough/North York/Etobicoke York/old City East York)

In 1954, Metropolitan Toronto was modelled on Greater London, England.

Pretty sure it wasn't modelled on any existing municipal structure...Metro was a unique solution to an existing problem. And it was not a static structure either...it continually morphed and adjusted as Toronto matured.

I've always thought of the pre-amalgamation cities (North York, East York, York, Scarborough, Etobicoke, Old Toronto) as "boroughs" of Toronto similar to the boroughs of NYC.

Closer to that anything else. Except Toronto's boroughs had more autonomy than NYC Boroughs. Toronto's lower tier components started out with more autonomy in the beginning and lost it as time went on as services shifted towards the upper tier ....despite the fact that they later started calling themselves "cities" would suggest the opposite.

I think the trick to right-sizing municipal governance is to get the most efficient size (population and area) for the programs and services to be provided. Some things operate best on a local level, others on a large regional level and still others someplace in between. The problem with the current amalgamated Toronto is its too big to provide fidelity on local issues and too small to work at a regional level. It may be the least efficient size possible.

I would argue that Metro was just the right size. The proof is in the pudding. It helped that less damaging politicians inhabited Queen's Park and Metro at the time.

At the same time the Regional governments in York, Peel and Durham do pretty much dick-all because they are too big for the small population base.

Apples & oranges. These 905 Regions are not equivalent to "Metro"...in practice nor spirit.

The Golden Report recommended keeping all the then existing local municipalities and combining all the regional governments (Metro, Peel, York and Durham) into one super-regional government. That would allow local government to deal with local issues (e.g. local planning, maintaining local streets, neighbourhood improvement); and the regional government to deal with regional issues (e.g. regional planning, police & fire services, transit, school boards etc.).

Toronto would be the big loser in that scenario. Tying ourselves to the vastly inefficient 905 would sink us....especially in transit. In terms of planning, the damage is already done.

Back