562     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

I wish Aldi would come to Canada

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
It's probably a matter of time. It's just that the US market was much riper for discount disruption.

I think Canadian retailers have had their eyes on the German discounters for decades and that is part of what motivated the creation of the discount banners that all the major grocers offer. I would also enjoy an Aldi-like retailer (or even better, a Trader Joe's) but it is tough to fully differentiate. I think they will come in time, but only after the finish saturating easier markets, like the US.

Last edited:
It's probably a matter of time. It's just that the US market was much riper for discount disruption.

I think Canadian retailers have had their eyes on the German discounters for decades and that is part of what motivated the creation of the discount banners that all the major grocers offer. I would also enjoy an Aldi-like retailer (or even better, a Trader Joe's) but it is tough to fully differentiate. I think they will come in time, but only after the finish saturating easier markets, like the US.

Aldi came very close to entering this market.............

Enough to prompt pilots and tests from established retailers here to see how they might deal w/it.

In the end, they opted against it.

That certainly may get revisited (perhaps it even is being looked at again).....

But its not where I'd hang my hat so to speak on driving either innovation in products or competition on prices.

Aldi came very close to entering this market.............

Enough to prompt pilots and tests from established retailers here to see how they might deal w/it.

In the end, they opted against it.

That certainly may get revisited (perhaps it even is being looked at again).....

But its not where I'd hang my hat so to speak on driving either innovation in products or competition on prices.
Why did Aldi end up not opening? The usual excuse of high operating costs?

NL may have insider knowledge, but I suspect it was that Aldi figured out the lesson that Target learned the hard way, that fighting for share in Canada would take an extended period of investment against established players with better real estate.

NL may have insider knowledge, but I suspect it was that Aldi figured out the lesson that Target learned the hard way, that fighting for share in Canada would take an extended period of investment against established players with better real estate.

@Coruscanti Cognoscente this is fairly close to my understanding.

From the video, Aldi seems pretty similar to No Frills, except the locations are much smaller and don’t carry the regular national brands and their assortment is much smaller.

I think they would be good to have as a player here.

Fun Facts for the Aldi Lovers.........

1) There are two Aldi's; Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud (north and south); as a result of dispute between the second generation of family ownership, one brother took 1/2 the business and the other, the rest.

2) Both Aldi's continue to do business together and generally avoid competing head to head (though not always); both have extensive operations outside of their home base of Germany.

3) Both Aldi's are in the U.S..............Aldi Sud operates as Aldi in the U.S.....................but Aldi Nord is the owner of Trader Joes.........(though TJ remains a distinct operating entity)

4) Neither Aldi is in Canada, nor is Trader Joes

5) I wonder where No Frills got the idea to try this: ;)

PS, the discontinued the above experiment, with larger stores converting to the NF banner and the smallest ones shuttering.

Serendipitously I came across a youtube video by youtuber Feli from Germany.

Her shtick is that is German, but moved to the U.S., specifically Cincinnati for University in 2016, and is still mostly there; and she posts videos, in which she compares German culture/language/products w/those of the U.S.

At any rate, she just did a video in which she goes to shop at her local American Aldi, w/her boyfriend, and in the video she mostly compares this to Aldi in Germany; but also to large U.S. chain Kroger.

I thought many would find it interesting as you a short video on the history of Aldi, then you see the U.S. version, you get to see what they carry; you see some prices as well; and then you get product and price comparisons to the German version of Aldi.

Somethings to watch for:

1) Have a look at the prices of Mayo and Shampoo, remembering these are in U.S. dollars and compare those to what you might pay here, I think some will be surprised.

2) When she compares German and U.S. prices, make note that the current exchange rate has the Euro about 10% higher than the USD. She ignores that difference.

3) Laugh when you see her takedown of the bread section in U.S. Aldi and shows the German version; then cry, because this will remind you too much of Canada

4) See above, but apply to chocolate.

Video:

Whole video is ~27m; but if you skip the ads, including her integrated product placement its probably closer to 20.

Canada Targets 12 Foreign Grocers to Lure to Food-Retailing Market

OTTAWA—Canada's industry minister is weighing a list of a dozen foreign grocery companies—from the U.S., Germany, Turkey and Portugal, among others—to potentially lure to the country in a bid to increase competition in the domestic food-retailing sector.

One of the companies said it would take a pass.

Since the fall, Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne has criticized Canada's three biggest grocery companies—Loblaw, Metro and Empire—for failing to be transparent on the causes of food inflation, and told the antitrust watchdog he expected the agency to "confront abuses" in the domestic marketplace. At one point, Champagne and other officials spoke of a windfall tax on grocery-chain profits unless prices for grocery staples stabilized.

This has come against a backdrop where Canadian voters tell pollsters they are frustrated with cost-of-living matters, and the incumbent Liberal government finds itself trailing its rival, the Conservatives, by a wide margin in most public-opinion surveys.

"A lack of competition in Canada's grocery sector means Canadians are paying higher prices," according to a passage in the federal government's annual budget plan, released this week. The latest inflation data indicate that, since just prior to the pandemic, food prices are about 23% higher.

Champagne has also discussed attracting foreign grocers to Canada. In late February, a top official at the industry department provided a list of a dozen foreign retailers that Champagne could target.

A memo lining up potential candidates was obtained via a request under Canada's access-to-information law. European grocers dominate the list, with a lone entry from the U.S.: Grocery Outlet Holding, a California-based discount food retailer with about 470 stores in nine states.

Two of the most recognizable names on the list are both based in Germany: Aldi, which has more than 2,000 outlets in the U.S., and Lidl, another discounter with American stores and owned by the Schwarz Group.

A spokeswoman for Champagne didn't immediately respond to questions, such as how many executives from the dozen listed grocers the minister had spoken with and whether any of the companies had expressed interest in the Canadian market.

Layla Kasha, a senior vice president at Emeryville, Calif.-based Grocery Outlet, said the company had no plans to expand into Canada.

Representatives for Aldi and Schwarz Group weren't immediately available for comment.

In a report last year, Canada's Competition Bureau, which is in charge of antitrust enforcement, said the grocery sector was concentrated and dominated by Loblaw, Metro and Empire. "Canada needs solutions to help bring grocery prices in check. More competition is a key part of the answer," the report said. It pointed to what transpired in Australia after Germany's Aldi chain entered, which forced domestic operators to significantly reduce prices.

"The successful entry of international grocers into the Canadian industry may be the best option to bring about lower prices, greater choice, and increased levels of innovation," the bureau said.

A spokeswoman for Montreal-based Metro, which operates 980 grocery stores, said food-retailing is a competitive sector, noting that U.S.-based Walmart and Costco Wholesale are already in Canada, and the company would welcome further competition from abroad. Spokespeople for Loblaw and Empire didn't respond to a request for comment.

Besides Grocery Outlet, Aldi and Lidl-owner Schwarz Group, other companies listed as possible Canadian entrants include Germany's Edeka Group and Rewe Group; France-based Les Mousquetaires; Portugal's Jerónimo Martins, operator of the Pingo Doce chain; Spain-based Distribuidora Internacional de Alimentación, also known as Dia, and Mercadona; from Norway, Reitangruppen, which operates stores under the Rema 1000 banner; Amsterdam-based X5 Retail Group, a food retailer with stores in Russia; and Turkey's BIM Birlesik Magazalar, which operates under the BIM banner.

I don't think a foreign grocer per se is an answer.

I do think the existing behemoths Empire and Loblaw in particular, need to be broken up and ordered to divest multiple banners.

That said, a lot the prices people are upset about are supply managed - notably dairy and chicken.

Also, access of small producers to shelves is limited by listings fees, and a host of other bureaucratic gobbledygook worthy of the Politburo that major grocers can put a smaller supplier through the ringer(and sometimes the larger ones, but I digress)

I want to highlight the grocers being courted, from the bottom of the article

Grocery Outlet
Aldi
Lidl-owner Schwarz Group
Germany’s Edeka Group and Rewe Group;
France-based Les Mousquetaires;
Portugal’s Jerónimo Martins, operator of the Pingo Doce chain;
Spain-based Distribuidora Internacional de Alimentación, also known as Dia, and Mercadona;
Norway-based, Reitangruppen, which operates stores under the Rema 1000 banner;
Amsterdam-based X5 Retail Group, a food retailer with stores in Russia; and Turkey’s BIM Birlesik Magazalar, which operates under the BIM banner.

Last edited:
I don't think ordering to divest banners makes any sense. What stops a target company from just rebannering said stores? Not allowed to own Loblaws anymore? Presto chango they are now Zehrs or no frills. If the issue is lack of competition, that competition takes place in local trade areas, and any such divestiture should be site by site. I am surrounded by three Metros is pretty close proximity. It would be nice if they were forced to divest some of these for greater consumer choice. The compettion bureau should be reviewing local markets where any one retail conglomerate has excessive share (> 20%?) on a market by market basis and ordering them to divest specific locations.

This, behind paywall) is interesting. https://www.economist.com/business/2024/03/21/could-aldis-supermarkets-conquer-america

Last year Aldi Süd announced the takeover of around 400 Winn-Dixie and Harveys supermarkets in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana and Mississippi. Many of them will be remodelled as Aldi markets. And earlier this month Jason Hart, who heads Aldi Süd’s American business, promised to pick up the pace. He said the company will invest $9bn over five years to open 800 new Aldis (including the Winn-Dixie and Harvey conversions), on top of the 2,400 it already has.

Mr Hart has succeeded where most rivals have struggled partly thanks to luck. Aldi’s rock-bottom prices appeal to Americans irked by food inflation. Although food prices are no longer rocketing, they are 23% higher today than they were four years ago. President Joe Biden rails against punier Snickers bars and fewer crisps per packet in his re-election campaign

Back