News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 488     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Hudson's Bay Company

Recently went to the Bay store at Sherway. They're hanging in there but can't help and feel the store gave off a sinking ship kind of vibe. It's rather telling when Sporting Life has up its game and has more appealing lifestyle wear type clothing.

I agree, i feel like it was good but recently gone downhill. I feel like they should downsize and takeover the Nordstorm space and make it new and focus on the product assortment.

Then they can take tear down the old BAY and build condos or something...

I agree, i feel like it was good but recently gone downhill. I feel like they should downsize and takeover the Nordstorm space and make it new and focus on the product assortment.

Then they can take tear down the old BAY and build condos or something...

The Bay's worries extend well beyond the Sherway location.

Recently went to the Bay store at Sherway. They're hanging in there but can't help and feel the store gave off a sinking ship kind of vibe. It's rather telling when Sporting Life has up its game and has more appealing lifestyle wear type clothing.

Department stores will be extinct soon. I can't see any of them lasting. I was in The Bay, Simons and Holt's at Square One. All the stores were empty, yet the mall was packed with Christmas shoppers. The crowds these days are skipping the dinosaur department stores for stores like Sporting Life, Sport Check, H&M, Winners/Marshalls, Uniqlo..etc

My UNIQLO shirts i picked up, fit and look amazing and they weren't that expensive either. i wish i had of kept the receipt for my dress shirt i got at Simons, the button on the shirt is falling off, and i haven't worn it yet. i should have checked the buttons in the store. I spent 120 bucks on the damn thing. I will never buy another shirt from them.

The Vancouver downtown store has lots of escalators and elevators out of service.
You can tell they are letting the building run down before redevelopment.
2 elevators are out of service, as is the main escalator from 2nd to 3rd floor (and maybe others).
There's no escalators to/from the 6th floor men's floor.
There are stickers all over the floors pointing people to the stairs.

Pics by me today.

dkhhKAr.jpg

7cVAK0p.jpg

The Nespresso Boutique in the basement of The Bay Queen Street will be closing as of January 7, 2024. Customers are being advised to visit the new store at Union or the one up in Yorkville. That's more vacant space in their downtown Toronto flagship, and one less reason to visit.

Earlier today Macy's announced that it will close 150 Macy's stores throughout the US over the next 3 years. I wonder if Hudson's Bay will close a 10-15 stores over the next 3 years too?

The Queen Street site should be redeveloped!

You want to destroy a heritage building and to wipe out the world's oldest continuously operating retailer; not to mention throw hundreds/thousands of people out of work. Swell.

Can you please be more restrained in your posting.

I don't imagine @rdaner meant tearing the building down - but the reality of the end of department stores is kind of hard to avoid - and you might as well think about how to adapt/reuse the site.

I am sure the very Toronto response of slapping a tower or two atop in the back of the minds of others.

AoD

I don't imagine @rdaner meant tearing the building down - but the reality of the end of department stores is kind of hard to avoid - and you might as well think about how to adapt/reuse the site.

I am sure the very Toronto response of slapping a tower or two atop in the back of the minds of others.

AoD

I think the era of the wide spread 'mall' department store is at an end; I think the 'experience' flagship stores can easily last if companies put the money and effort it.

Les Galleries Lafayette is not going anywhere, nor is Harrod's. This could be that space for us; but yes, HBC would need owners who weren't leeches, and the company needs to shed the majority of its store network. It could, perhaps sustain a dozen 'destination' stores across the country, not 80+

Let me add, I regrettably think the above is unlikely, and the the store will probably be lost to history, but that's not something to be cheered, but lamented.

I think the era of the wide spread 'mall' department store is at an end; I think the 'experience' flagship stores can easily last if companies put the money and effort it.

Les Galleries Lafayette is not going anywhere, nor is Harrod's. This could be that space for us; but yes, HBC would need owners who weren't leeches, and the company needs to shed the majority of its store network. It could, perhaps sustain a dozen 'destination' stores across the country, not 80+

Let me add, I regrettably think the above is unlikely, and the the store will probably be lost to history, but that's not something to be cheered, but lamented.

Except that the Hudson Bay in general - nor this particular store - is Les Galleries Lafayette or Harrods. It's not that much of a draw on its' own (the shopping experience there is wanting, at best) - and I am not convinced that the company will want to put in the cash to make it so; or that Canadian consumers is keen to support a department store of this calibre.

It's also interesting that similar institutions across the ponds are suffering the same pressures - not just the ones in NA.

AoD

Back