News   May 10, 2024
 242     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 370     0 

How Skyscrapers Can Save the City

threnody

Member Bio
Reaction score
Besides making cities more affordable and architecturally interesting, tall buildings are greener than sprawl, and they foster social capital and creativity. Yet some urban planners and preservationists seem to have a misplaced fear of heights that yields damaging restrictions on how tall a building can be. From New York to Paris to Mumbai, there’s a powerful case for building up, not out.

Full article

One could easily write an article entitled "How Skyscrapers Can Destroy the City". Note that the vibrant thriving neighbourhoods of New York, Paris, and Mumbai are generally skyscraper free.

Note that the vibrant thriving neighbourhoods of New York, Paris, and Mumbai are generally skyscraper free.

Right. So what we are talking about here is density...not really skyscrapers. Skyscrapers are simply one method of achieving density. And without proper urban planning and land use policies, not effective at all. And Toronto is full of good and band examples of it.

I wouldn't say St. James town is greener or has fostered creativity.

Well, it's definitely greener than sprawl. It's a case of good density but not so great urban design (but still fixable). When a city screws up on a couple of square blocks, it doesn't wreck the whole city. But when you build an entire 905 the way they did, the effects are catastrophic.

I recently went through Milton, and when I got home I immediately turned on the tv to see if Charlie's Angels was on. Due to the horrifying number of tract homes going up there, I swear I had been transported back to the 70's. What are they thinking???????

Besides making cities more affordable and architecturally interesting, tall buildings are greener than sprawl, and they foster social capital and creativity.

The Demographia International Housing Affordability Survey recently showed that Hong Kong was the least affordable city in terms of housing compared to 324 housing markets in English speaking countries (including Canada). Wendell Cox was probably sending some sort of message putting Hong Kong at the top of his list, but the survey was widely reported in the media in Hong Kong where a debate is raging not about urban density, but whether the government should build more public housing to make housing more affordable again.

Whether tall buildings "foster social capital and creativity" really depends on the context in which the buildings are built. The typical public housing "superblock" in North America is traditionally seen as crime-infested neighbourhoods, but the same built form put in various cities in Asia actually creates a nice sense of community (I think we do see some of that sense of community here in Toronto with East Asians and South Asians moving into places like St. James Town).

I recently went through Milton, and when I got home I immediately turned on the tv to see if Charlie's Angels was on. Due to the horrifying number of tract homes going up there, I swear I had been transported back to the 70's. What are they thinking???????

Pretty sophomoric statement. Esp. as the truer 70s-flashback expression wouldn't be tract homes, but rather townhouses/cluster housing/stratas a la Three's Company et al...

the truer 70s-flashback expression wouldn't be tract homes, but rather townhouses/cluster housing/stratas a la Three's Company et al...

In the 905? It appears the detached, single family home in large, single use zoned areas was the predominant housing form at the time?

I won't bet the farm on it, as I was living in Otterville, Ontario through the 70's, and don't make a habit of exploring the 905 that much.

I also didn't watch Three's Company either...comedy too sub-mental even for my teenaged mentality.
The un-intended comedic value and blatant gratuitous sex of Charlie's Angels...now that was right up my alley!!

I suddenly have the urge to splash on some Paco Rabanne, attend a key party, and down some Singapore Slings.

In the 905? It appears the detached, single family home in large, single use zoned areas was the predominant housing form at the time?

Yeah, as a holdover from the 50s and 60s. Though even then, by the 70s, the stronger trend was t/w "densifying" the suburbs--whether through those dreaded commie-block highrises or through clusters of townhouses a la those you find peppering the original parts of Erin Mills/Meadowvale, Bramalea, etc. (And which, these days, may often even border upon having recent-past heritage landmark value, believe it or not.)

Good obervations

Right. So what we are talking about here is density...not really skyscrapers. Skyscrapers are simply one method of achieving density. And without proper urban planning and land use policies, not effective at all. And Toronto is full of good and band examples of it.

Well, it's definitely greener than sprawl. It's a case of good density but not so great urban design (but still fixable). When a city screws up on a couple of square blocks, it doesn't wreck the whole city. But when you build an entire 905 the way they did, the effects are catastrophic.

Forget the mostly irrelevent comments made about your reference to Milton/70's...your preceding statements hit the nail on the head...it's density AND design together that make a city livable.

Everyone knows Milton is just a suburb of Mississauga these days, especially since Mississauga ran out of land for new subdivisions, the developers ran to Milton.

Back