News   Apr 26, 2024
 487     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 204     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 672     0 

how much does it cost to strip condo ceiling to concrete?

gentlepuppies

Member Bio
Reaction score
I also want to strip down a round column and at least one structural wall to concrete. First of all, is this one of those things that the strata needs to approve? Secondly, how much does it cost? I'm assuming the concrete isn't as "presentable" as in some new condos that have purposely-exposed ceilings, and will need some patching?

Something like shown below:
4lINZTO.jpg

Barring that, I wonder if painting the ceiling grey might help it recede a bit. I bought a corner unit, and want it to be all about the windows.

Can't you get up on a ladder with your putty knife and scrape the plaster off yourself?
The way to remove popcorn ceilings is to wet it and gently scrape. It is very messy and, as you say, probably covers less than perfect concrete. Beware! In most condos the Unit boundary is the concrete slab so you own the popcorn but look at your declaration.

Well there's no popcorn, but I rather just see the concrete. I didn't realize it can be a DIY thing. Not sure how to work around the smoke alarm and stuff lol.

Renovations should always be run through property management/board. Changes to the ceiling can impact sound transfer.

Renovations should always be run through property management/board. Changes to the ceiling can impact sound transfer.

I agree, you'll likely hear a lot more noise from your upstairs neighbour after you remove the drywall and expose the concrete.

I agree that you need the permission of the Corporation to make any changes to the common elements but you do not for non-structural alterations inside your own Unit. That is why I suggested you need to know the Unit Boundaries. If it is 'popcorn' it is probably within your Unit which normally begin at the concrete face, if it is plaster-board it is most likely common elements as the boundary is normally the top surface of any plasterboard.. I doubt popcorn has much sound deadening properties but plasterboard clearly does.

It depends on the declaration and if it impacts other units. Always better to be safe than sorry and check it out.

What if a condo board doesn't exist yet, or I don't have access to them yet because I haven't bought a place? I guess I won't be able to make offer that is contingent on being able to alter the finish on a ceiling or column...

What if a condo board doesn't exist yet, or I don't have access to them yet because I haven't bought a place? I guess I won't be able to make offer that is contingent on being able to alter the finish on a ceiling or column...
A board does exist -- just not one that is formed after registration. Go to property management. Ask them. As a board member, we have had questions about things like this before people have made offers.

A board does exist -- just not one that is formed after registration. Go to property management. Ask them. As a board member, we have had questions about things like this before people have made offers.
Yes, I am on our Board and we fairly often get hypothetical questions from potential purchasers about what kinds of renos we will allow. We can only offer a definitive yes or no to an owner (based on a full description of the reno) but certainly try to be helpful.

I've done this for a client. She didn't want concrete especially. She just thought popcorn was dated.
Cover the floor, drop the smokes, fixtures etc. and let them hang, mist and spray to moisten the popcorn and scrape. Not hard just boring. I doubt very much if the popcorn removal would affect the noise transfer through the floor. As well in I relatively current building I would be surprised to find any drywall.
In the end the concrete wasn't finished carefully enough and the whole ceiling had to be skim coated by a drywaller to fill in the holes and seams and then painted..

^^how much did that cost?

Good to know about the board - too bad the timeline was too rushed to ask all these questions beforehand

Back