News   May 17, 2024
 2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.5K     9 

How do you obtain your music?

How do you get your music?

• Download via music stores online (iTunes, etc.)

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • Download for free (torrents, p2p, etc.)

Votes: 62 80.5%
  • Music retail stores (cd and vinyl, etc.)

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I don't buy music, I just listen to the radio

Votes: 11 14.3%

• Total voters

khris

Member Bio
Reaction score
Curious how UT likes to get their music I guess.
You can choose more than one answer.
PS: I didn't make the poll results public, so that you don't have to worry about anyone knowing you download via torrents. Not that it really matters in Canada, but whatever.

Last edited:
I voted for everything. If it's not on YouTube, MySpace or the labels site, I download music because it's the fastest way of sampling. If I'm impressed by the artist I'll do what I can to support them.

Ya I usually check out an artist via MySpace first. Then YouTube. Then if I like what I hear, I download a torrent via a private music torrent site.
When I can, I buy their CD. I like having a physical copy of my music. I just can't get into using iTunes to get my music, even now that they have removed all of their DRM.

I refuse to buy another CD. There's no point - it's just an obnoxious layer between purchase and use that I can do without. My music collection has been 100% digital for the last 6 years at least - and in terms of convenience, it can't be beat.

I generally download music from anonymous web download sites (via music blogs) and if I like what I get, I usually purchase it either through iTunes or my eMusic account. eMusic is semi-brilliant really, I get 75 downloads a month for $20 - though it's all indie stuff (great for weird back-catelogue things too). That's cheap enough that you can take risks on stuff you haven't properly listened to. I use eMusic far more often than iTunes (mostly because I resented their DRM, though that's now changed).

When what I download for free (from blogs, etc) is awesome, I usually make the effort to purchase it properly. I've been blowing up the new Animal Collective here, and as soon as it's released, I'll throw money at eMusic or iTunes to legitimize my adoration :D

The money i saved from downloading goes towards to $200 concert tickets :mad:

YouTube is my go-to source also. If I like something enough I'll most likely buy the CD. I'm old fashioned, I like touching something I pay for.

Last edited:
Some albums are masterpieces, where every song is amazing and the album art is enjoyable. These are worth owning as original CDs, because the superior quality makes listening to them even more enjoyable, particularly if you have access to a good stereo.

Those albums are really rare though. I mostly download for free.

I prefer to hear music live, for the sound to reach me through open space rather than via a headset.

I go to either Roy Thomson Hall, the Four Seasons Centre, or any of the dozens of excellent venues around town.

Apart from that ... radio.

I buy .WAV and .MP3 files from places like Traxsource, Dancetracksdigital, etc.

If a song is really special to me, i'll order the vinyl online (where from depends on stock and price).

The rest of my collection comes from the artists themselves as promo releases.

I don't listen to the radio (at least in the traditional sense of the word), but I do enjoy some internet radio mixshows - mainly from http://cyberjamz.com/

I get my music for free...from rubbish bins and garbage night. (vinyl.)

Seriously, beware of bedbugs. Curb-side items, second hand shops and lawn sales can become a crawly and expensive proposition.

Curious how UT likes to get their music I guess.
You can choose more than one answer.
PS: I didn't make the poll results public, so that you don't have to worry about anyone knowing you download via torrents. Not that it really matters in Canada, but whatever.

It's about to matter a whole lot, if Harper succeeds in passing new copyright legislation.

Back