News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 366     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 939     1 

Harbourfront Centre

It boggles the mind that they closed the rink without any public consultation. If they'd gone public sooner with their plan to close it, maybe something could have been done to save it, but it was already a done deal by the time anyone found out. I'm half expecting them to start demolishing the Amsterdam Bridge without warning.

I wonder if re-naming the Amsterdam Bridge the Amsterdam Brewing Bridge could save it? #HalfJoking

I do think they need to find better corporate partners. It's on prime A+ waterfront. Their could be a lot of opportunities for breweries and other brands.

Some thoughts from the Tiny, Perfect Mayor, David Crombie:

Crombie says the plan to animate the waterfront, back when it was still a working port employing 1,200 longshoremen, always included free recreation for families. The loss of the free skating rink has left the site less lively in winter. The adjacent Boxcar Social restaurant, which used to sell snacks to skaters, has also been closed for the season, adding further to an air of desolation near the boarded-up Amsterdam Bridge.

I wonder if it’s possible to transform Harbourfont Centre into something akin to a mini-Navy Pier? From what I remember from my experience of Navy Pier, it’s a combination of event venue, CNE-esque fun fair, and art gallery…but this almost 10 years ago.

I don't get the desire to have a skating rink at the coming Rees Park. What made the one at Harbourfront Centre somewhat special was that it was next to the lake. If there's going to be one down here, just bring that one back.

Also, they should bring back Beats, Breaks & Culture. It was somewhat special, so of course, they canceled it.

Toronto Star article Feb 14. Not so Happy Valentine’s Day for the HFC.

“Harbourfront Centre needs to find new sources of revenue if it is to continue fulfilling its mandate as Toronto’s waterfront destination for arts and culture, according to a federal government report released this week.“

Toronto Star article Feb 14. Not so Happy Valentine’s Day for the HFC.

“Harbourfront Centre needs to find new sources of revenue if it is to continue fulfilling its mandate as Toronto’s waterfront destination for arts and culture, according to a federal government report released this week.“

Harbourfront would be fine if the feds have delivered the endowment that was promised them back when they were started.

Here's a direct link to the Federal Report the media is discussing:

Here's is a key excerpt from the above:

1707937231988.png

My take:

The Feds should issue a philanthropic challenge, they will provide up to 100M towards an endowment on a matching dollars basis with a private philanthropist or philanthropists.

This would spin off about 8M per year.

Additionally, I think that HC requires at least some base envelope of programming funding from Ottawa each year that would cover recurring events, particularly those which can't recover revenue though ticketed sales.

Finally, I think they need to look for a new funding source outside of the above; I have a very clear idea on what that might be; but regrettably can't share that here, now......

Back