Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Meanwhile...
Some good LRT updates!

(A) LRT sub-committee just met on Jan 25th.

Jan 25th LRT Sub-committee Meeting Agenda

Several LRT advocacy members attended this meeting from the public seating (including Damin Starr, a Ward 7 byelection candidate -- yes that surprised us as we weren't aware one of our LRT advocacy members is apparently going to run for city councillor!)

(B) Memorandum of Agreement

City of Hamilton is about to sign their soul over to Metrolinx, within the coming days or weeks:

Memorandum of Agreement -- Metrolinx and City of Hamilton (Draft version)

...In other words, Metrolinx calls the shots.
That said, there'll be a lot of consultations with residents and tweaks to meet community needs. With the past stadium experence and Davenport RER bridge example, it is extremely important that Metrolinx includes urban elements.

(C) Interesting observation about Urban Enhancements

Upon close study, section 8.B.ii of a Capital Cost Eligibility Criteria document appears to allow up to 1.5% of budget to be spent on "urban enhancements" above and beyond what is part of the project (e.g. necessary sidewalk replacements that are improved sidewalks). One example is public artwork, but I'm thinking a good priority is to also make sure we have pretty looking poles for the wiring -- I've seen pretty catenary and ugly catenary -- and we better not get the ugly stuff!

But this doesn't seem to be a strict number -- Davenport RER, they essentially got a massive urban enhancement (40% budget increase for a much prettier bridge to try to satisfy the community).

While we're not anti-LRT obviously -- we are anti "messed-up-LRT" -- and part of the Hamilton LRT advocacy is to advocate for the best possible LRT outcome and the Hamilton LRT advocacy is definitely keeping notes on the successful Metrolinx concessions on Davenport. It's a great textbook case study. If we see a really messed-up element coming to LRT, we would act and rally the community.

(D) LRT advocacy presentation at Community Meeting on Feb 1

(Image of flyer for LRT presentation) -- Several advocacy members have been canvassing the Sherman Hub Neighborhood, so the neighborhood community meeting is expected to be massively bigger this time (triple figure attendance count). I'm personally involved in the creation/graphics of this presentation, while Alain H. will be presenting, with several members joining us (including Damin Starr).

Last edited:
Our presentation was a big success with a much-larger-than-usual community group attendance:

Mphv6eKh.jpg

(Taken by me)
ZSiGwkG.jpg

ZrIFbvb.jpg

(Taken by Damin Starr -- I'm at right edge)

Five from our team of advocates attended, with two of us actively presenting (me as co-presenter). There was approximately 100+ people. We're going to bring the presentations to more communities/hubs in the very near future -- we have a surge of invitations for springtime presentations. City/Metrolinx is updating the older 2011 plans by spring 2016, so we must start the conversation running. People were asking all sort of questions ranging from "when?" to how big expropriations were, Alain had great educational answers, and everyone was very chatty afterwards, exploring the old 2011 LRT plans (disclaimer "Subject To Change") maps:

YD51I81h.jpg

(Taken by me; intermission of people exploring maps and discussing)

So all in all, it was successful!

Last edited:
But another thing first.

Very important to us: The HSR Rapid Ready plan is being threatened with possible HSR bus cutbacks before LRT looming if worn out buses are not replaced soon -- to the point where it won't be finished when the LRT begins service -- and we need that for good HSR+LRT integration. The fare increases were supposed to fund transit improvements, but haven't been happening as they should have been. On Feb 9th, the public is invited to speak their 5 minute's worth to the council. My spouse very much intends to head to City Hall to speak on this.

I'm very much against scaling back buses, as they're important for integrating into the LRT network, as many studies have shown. In fact, a fellow LRT advocate, Andrae Griffith, has a Mohawk College thesis paper on HSR+LRT integration.

LRT may not be “free” after all.

"Hamilton Transit boss Dave Dixon confirmed that LRT could affect the HSR’s bottom line if Metrolinx gets to keep the revenue because LRT will displace two of the city’s more lucrative bus routes—the King line and the B Line."

http://bayobserver.ca/lrt-may-not-be-free-after-all/

"The busy King Line is by far the most profitable of Hamilton’s bus routes—essentially self-supporting through fares. The B Line generates just under 60 per cent of costs through fares."

So one line is break-even and the other has a 40% subsidy. So, if Metrolinx keeps LRT revenue and provides operations for the line, isn't it a net gain to Hamilton to no longer be kicking in that subsidy? The article doesn't make it clear who is paying for operations of the LRT line but it implies Metrolinx probably would be.

If Metrolinx takes over operations (and revenue) from the LRT then I would think Hamilton tax-payers should be thrilled. Not only do they NOT have to subsidize 40% of the B-Line but they also don't need to kick in millions every couple decades on bus purchases for it either.

The only loss would be if Metrolinx demands Hamilton pay for operations of the LRT but takes all the revenue for themselves; and that seems a highly unlikely combination.

Last edited:
The revenue split will be an important discussion as HSR and Metrolinx cannot be adversaries when co-operating on public transit. One consideration (which may or may not make sense) is that the allstop bus route might still operate (on Main) while the LRT serves as an express. An other consideration is that the bus fleet freed up from the LRT route will probably be redirected elsewhere, like to LRT feeder routes, etc.

The buses on their new routes (potentially LRT feeders) could become either less profitable or more profitable.

This would change the cost-recovery equation for HSR.

Also, between now and LRT operations, may be some subsidy offered by some level of government (provincial, federal) to fund an expansion (e.g. bus garage, fleet) as a compromise for the worries of this revenue shift.

Not to mention, HSR needs to expand and various moves (which the LRT will help force) are needed to double transit ridership. HSR/City and Metrolinx will need to work together on this without becoming adversaries. This should also be part of the responsibility of the new LRT office (that also includes City of Hamilton employees) to figure out efficiently integrated operations.

Last edited:
What's the deal set up for other municipalities that are getting provincially funded LRTs? Toronto? Mississauga? I couldn't really see that Hamilton would be any different.

What's the deal set up for other municipalities that are getting provincially funded LRTs? Toronto? Mississauga? I couldn't really see that Hamilton would be any different.
I'm curious, too.

But historically it does seem to wane and flux -- we've seen federal, provincial and/or municipal funds go at different percentage mixes to various kinds of initiatives over the years. Sometimes even 100% from one of the levels. Twenty years ago, would we have been able to predict Ontario would pay 100% for a few LRTs that are now successfully under construction (as far as we can see)? And what's not to say Trudeau would announce a Canada-wide transit subsidy increase, which Hamilton can use to buy the bus expansion? The crystal ball can suddenly change color from political winds.

We Hamiltonians have to watch this like a hawk -- if other cities are getting transit increases we have to sieze the opportunity and keep the city accountable in expanding HSR properly. Transit expansion in Hamilton is critical as Hamilton has been a severe underperformer. With the huge actual construction of GO expansion (real ongoing construction sites, actual construction finally) through Hamilton towards all-day two-way GO service by the early half of next decade, combined with the LRT that needs to begin construction, there is no choice but to expand HSR bus service to fit the rail expansion.

That decision hasn't been made yet for Crosstown or Finch. The private partner constructing the Crosstown and doing 30 years maintenance has their price locked in.

Capital repairs for the subway are heavily subsidized on the TTC. Metrolinx could take 100% of the Crosstown revenue and still end up pitching in extra every year.

I imagine they'll offer revenue over expenses to the municipality and that there will never be any; just as no GTA transit line has a profit today.

Last edited:
That decision hasn't been made yet for Crosstown or Finch. The private partner constructing the Crosstown and doing 30 years maintenance has their price locked in.
Yes it has. Agreement already signed. TTC will get revenue and operate. See the November 27, 2012 110-page master agreement between Metrolinx, TTC, and the city.

But remember how those projects evolved - originally TTC was constructing with Metrolinx funding, so they had a bit more leverage when they insisted on operating it while negotiating with Metrolinx when they changed the timeframe and funding model.

Yes it has. Agreement already signed. TTC will get revenue and operate. See the November 27, 2012 110-page master agreement between Metrolinx, TTC, and the city.

Would you happen to have a copy?

AFAIK TTC was to operate vehicles and fare gates. Actual operations/maintenance was contracted out over a 30 year period (big excitement in 2015 when it came in $67M/year below budget; $2B). I wasn't aware of any revenue sharing commitment other than to pay TTC operators. Did Metrolinx really agree to absorb the long-term maintenance costs and gift all revenue to TTC?

Ontario Budget 2016:
  • Hamilton LRT — The Province will cover the capital costs of building the LRT, up to $1 billion. New, modern light rail vehicles on tracks separated from regular traffic will offer speedy service from McMaster University through downtown Hamilton to Queenston Traffic Circle. The environmental assessment process is expected to be completed in early 2017, construction will start in 2019, and the LRT will be in service by 2024.
Got to love that "speedy" service quote ;)

Back